Hey dudes. My band (the Superbytes) is jaunting from Nebraska up to Milwaukee and back in October, and then westward in the spring. I'm looking for scene and nerd/gaming group contacts. We want to avoid making the trip and ending up playing to a crowd that wouldn't appreciate us.

We're hoping to stop along Iowa City, Milwaukee, Chicago, and then Des Moines, but anything helps. I'm hoping maybe Chicago has a chip community?
Let me know if you can help or know anyone that can!
Eric

IL, US

there are artists in chicago, but not much going on in the way of shows lately... not sure if they're still active, but I Fight Dragons had a decent relationship with venues and drew crowds of a few hundred so they might be worth a try.. i moved out of the city a while back, so i can't be of much help, and can't really speak as far as anyone else's availability but CCDM, Kkrusty & Saskrotch are all in chicago

edit: also as far as milwaukee, there's Awkward Terrible & Stagediver up there.. Nonfinite and I are both 40 miles or so south of Madison & i think The Laohu is in Madison.. his brother Keaton is somewhere in the southern Wisconsin area as well

Milwaukee, WI

Yeah, I live just outside of Milwaukee, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be of much help as far as setting up shows is concerned. Hopefully some of the other guys post in here!

Thanks guys!

Chicago

Emporium Arcade Bar in Chicago has lots of VGM and the occasional chip show. I've also seen chiptune at Quenchers Saloon, though it's a lot smaller. IFD has played Martyr's a few times, but I suspect they're harder to get booked at.

I might suggest contacting the people at MELT (Milwaukee),  they put on a lot of interesting electronic shows in Milwaukee,  though I don't know anyone personally...

https://m.facebook.com/414MELT/

Last edited by RJL (Jul 4, 2016 12:39 am)

Utah

Sadly, MELT called it quit a few months ago. Send me a message with the dates you are looking at and maybe we can get something in Milwaukee or Madison.

brooklyn

I'm currently living in iowa city -- I don't know of any chipmusic community here, but it might be worth a shot anyway. Gabe's, Yacht Club, or Blue Moose would probably be appropriate for a chip show.

Oh man thanks everybody! Super helpful!
Emporium looks amazing!

Our dates are tentatively:
Oct 20th: Iowa City/Cedar Rapids
Oct 21st: Milwaukee/Madison
Oct 22nd: Chicago
Oct 23rd: Des Moines/Ames

edit:
Laohu: did you run MELT? Very cool, will send a PM soon!
Kedromelon: any activity in Cedar Rapids? I think we only decided on IA City because its along I80, but if the music scene covers both cities, is one or the other better to play in?

Last edited by Eric and a Bear (Jul 5, 2016 10:37 am)

brooklyn

not sure about cedar rapids. IC has all the uiowa kids, so I would think you'd have better luck there than cedar rapids, but I very well could be wrong.

Utah
Eric and a Bear wrote:

Laohu: did you run MELT?

Nope, that was run by a guy called the Demix.

Tennessee

Chicago gigs do work out (as in booking) but crowd show up (for chip shows) I've noticed is VERY SMALL...last few chip show's I've been to there where very few folks,

e.s.c didnt you see when Stagediver/Nullsleep played in Chicago n there was only like 5 people that show'd? think that was you I was talking to about that.

Edit: (a non midwest venue but still in Indiana) PG in Evansville is a GREAT venue, we throw Little Sound Assembly every year there & are other chiptune shows that go down there n they have decent turn outs.

Last edited by frank angotti is dead (Jul 5, 2016 4:20 pm)

Utah
frank angotti is dead wrote:

e.s.c didnt you see when Stagediver/Nullsleep played in Chicago n there was only like 5 people that show'd? think that was you I was talking to about that.

Was that the Shadowtravel tour? 3 of those people were me driving down from Madison and Abandoned on Fire with his wife from KY!

Last edited by The Laohu (Jul 5, 2016 4:37 pm)

IL, US
frank angotti is dead wrote:

shadowtravel? i did visuals at that for everyone but starpause.. it wasn't quite 5 people bad.. but somewhere around 20 at most.... if you mean the milwaukee thing the other month, i had no way to get there..