I guess we're all different. I find the process of learning a new tool inspiring and I gladly compose on a software I do not fully grasp.

A gray world of dread
tRasH cAn maN wrote:
Heosphoros wrote:

3. Practice on making covers or studying other peoples source files

phib3r Optik wrote:

3-Listen to a lot of chip music! You need to know how it functions.

Why!?
Copying other peoples work seem so... pointless.

Peeking into other peoples mods (durrrtee) helped me a lot with the technical side. It's not so much copying someone, it's more akin to watching someone play guitar; you pick up tricks and techniques for your instrument. Of course, that'll have some influence on your style, but I'd say no more than inspiration on a compositional level.

Covers are good to way to test and train your technical proficiency - with the original you have something to compare to. It also trains how to get from a blank track to the song in your brain (instead of just toying around with in-harmony notes at random).

A gray world of dread
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

I guess we're all different. I find the process of learning a new tool inspiring and I gladly compose on a software I do not fully grasp.

That's true! Learning a new interface/platform tickles creativity.

astral cat
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

well, yeah of course i fully agree, but covers can be fun too! smile

Milan, Italy
phib3r Optik wrote:

2-Read a lot, make sure you know what your doing, or thinking about doing.
6-Don't worry about the hardware until you need it!
7-Get yourself involved in chip music forums, IE:8bc..

I dont agree with theese.

2. I've never read a guide or a patchbook. The funny things about these 8bit stuff is to learn new things experimenting by yourself.
3. Nah.. it's much better to develope an original style of chiptune instead of badly copying other 'famous' ones.
6. Using real hardware is really important for the 'feelings' and the sound.
7. Really not important at all since on that site 70% of the users are trolls and newbs.

Brazil

01 Stop using zombies ate my neighbours avatar.
02 goto01

jk

The thing is, it's good to see other peoples works so you can learn something. Like looking into mods so you can grab nice samples or see an effect you didn't know how to use it properly.

Also, getting involved in the forums is only good if you plans to meet the people in your area. Meeting people is always the best thing. Going to chip shows, if you can, is always good too.

Sweden
godinpants wrote:

Hang on now.

Sample collection/preparation/creation is one of the most fun parts of tracking.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then. At least when I start composing I usually already have an idea of what I want to do, and I want to put it down immediately. Then interesting samples can be loaded and tweaked. Of course, finding samples can be an equally interesting thing to do, but in my case it mostly isn't (my last released song being a notable exception), and having a collection of good samples doesn't hurt anyway.

As for instrument patches in for example TFM, I keep a collection but I rarely use them as they are. There's always a lot of tweaking... and then I saved the tweaked instrument too!

Charlotte

If you listen to alot of chip music you will understand it better, it helped me? If I was to never listen to sabrepulse I would not be making chip music? I listen to other famous artist for a inspiration to be like them one day that's why I said that.. If you don't understand then sorry...

brighton, uk

I think it's good to invest some time in learning some engineering and production techniques if you're gonna go the gear way.

Charlotte

Sorry if it offended any of you >.> lol That's my tips I guess..

Charlotte
arottenbit wrote:
phib3r Optik wrote:

2-Read a lot, make sure you know what your doing, or thinking about doing.
6-Don't worry about the hardware until you need it!
7-Get yourself involved in chip music forums, IE:8bc..

I dont agree with theese.

2. I've never read a guide or a patchbook. The funny things about these 8bit stuff is to learn new things experimenting by yourself.
3. Nah.. it's much better to develope an original style of chiptune instead of badly copying other 'famous' ones.
6. Using real hardware is really important for the 'feelings' and the sound.
7. Really not important at all since on that site 70% of the users are trolls and newbs.

2 Hmm, What I meant by reading a lot is know your programs, musical stuff, or whatever. You cant just go making tons of music without any knowledge?
3 Its for inspiration.
6 So your saying spend your money when you first start? Just start with the programs... You can deal with the hardware when you are at least good or going to be using it.
7 Its just to get more knowledge to learn about new techniques, programs ect..

PDX

I learned how to draw when I was little by tracing dragon ball activity books. After a while I could draw them on my own. After another while I could draw my own ideas...

"Good artists borrow, great artists steal" - Picasso

I think its important to be familiar with whats out there. I think its fine to learn as much as you can from the pros, as long as you don't claim any of the work as your own.

For some, its better to tinker on their own through trial and error, and some can't stand to do anything without knowing what they're doing, so naturally, one has to emulate different styles to find their own.

There will always be purists who will chastise you for "copying" peoples work. Screw them and just learn however you want to learn and try to be legit and don't plagiarize. Simple.

Milan, Italy
phib3r Optik wrote:

You cant just go making tons of music without any knowledge?

I just write what the "singing voices" in my head tell me to write. big_smile

..and the inspirations could/should come from any kind of music, not only chiptune.
"Listen to a lot of different music" would be a really nice advice,
"Listen to a lot of chipmusic" isn't. imo.

The most awesome thing about 8bit music is that it isn't a genre, it's only a "sound". There are no rules to compose music.
You can do whatever you want with your 8bit stuff, from cybergrind to ambient, from hardcore punk to post-rock.
Mixing all these influences in an original own style would be really interesting.

Charlotte
arottenbit wrote:
phib3r Optik wrote:

You cant just go making tons of music without any knowledge?

I just write what the "singing voices" in my head tell me to write. big_smile

..and the inspirations could/should come from any kind of music, not only chiptune.
"Listen to a lot of different music" would be a really nice advice,
"Listen to a lot of chipmusic" isn't. imo.

The most awesome thing about 8bit music is that it isn't a genre, it's only a "sound". There are no rules to compose music.
You can do whatever you want with your 8bit stuff, from cybergrind to ambient, from hardcore punk to post-rock.
Mixing all these influences in an original own style would be really interesting.

I agree with that "Listen to a lot of different music" I should have put that and I understand your point of view .