Ok! Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking about emailing you directly but I happened to stumble on to this thread and here you are! Is there any documentation that goes along with mgb? I mean, it's pretty self explanitory but I'm new to the gameboy as an instrument. Didn't know if there was anything to know besides what's on the screen.

Great product by the way!

NUMBSKULL

The only other thing I can think of is start+select+A (I think) turns the display off. Theoretically this could help mGB perform better, but honestly I'd be a bit surprised if it did much (chime in if I'm wrong). Pressing B will reset all your presets.

I am kind of working on a little instruction manual, but we'll see if that ever gets finished.

Thanks for the kind words!

Utah

On a related note, how would I update my existing arduinoboy to the most recent code release? I have a midi-usb cable.

NUMBSKULL
The Laohu wrote:

On a related note, how would I update my existing arduinoboy to the most recent code release? I have a midi-usb cable.

You need to plug it in via usb to your computer, then use the arduino IDE to upload the new code.

EDIT: Like not the midi cable, but the actual usb jack on the arduino (assuming it has one).

If you bought it from me, I have added some things (like for the PS/2 jack), so you'll want to use my build.

Last edited by catskull (Aug 1, 2016 5:21 pm)

Utah

Yeah... it is a Xiwi and there is no USB port on it.

Unsubscribe

My xiwi had a FTDI port, did he remove it in later versions?

Utah

It is one of the newer models and I don't see any FTDI port. The only places to plug anything in are the Midi In, Out, Link, and 9v.

NUMBSKULL

It looks like there is a header on the PCB for a programmer. You need a FTDI usb to serial adapter (you can get them on ebay for a few bucks) and then you will be able to program it. Or just get someone else to do it for you!

Unsubscribe
The Laohu wrote:

It is one of the newer models and I don't see any FTDI port. The only places to plug anything in are the Midi In, Out, Link, and 9v.

You might have to open the case up, and look either for some pins or unsoldered holes that match this kinda of cable:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9718

If you post a pic of the pcb we can probably point it out for you.

Utah

I think I might be out of luck. You can see the PCB here and this is a photo of what I could get without taking off the top.

NUMBSKULL

Oh yeah, I was mistaken. I thought the capacitors next to the atmega was an ftdi header. The atmega is socketed though, so if you have an arduino with that same chip you should be able to pop it out and put it in the arduino to reprogram it. Or maybe you could just ask xiwi?

Utah

Thanks for the info. I'll probably put it off for now, though. That's a little more involved than I have time for right now. I mean, it works well enough right now, so no urgent need to upgrade.

Unsubscribe

I believe the pins are on the PCB to the right of the chip in the screenshot, but it looks like he left the headers soldered off.. Atmel programers are pretty cheap as well fwiw.