Solar System

Here is stormy weather...
Any good book (Scifi, Fantasy) recommendation?

Last edited by Matej (Aug 10, 2016 10:30 am)

South Korea

If you like mind-fucky stories, I HIGHLY recommend Haruki Murakami's 'Kafka on the Shore' and 'A Wild Sheep Chase', for sci-fi, Phillip K Dick and HG Wells are always top notch. There is so much garbage fantasy and sci-fi out there, so the classics are always a safe bet.

Also, what does this have to do with these forums?

São Paulo, Brazil

I´m just finishing Snow Crash and it´s fucking awesome.

And I think it´s way better to discuss literature than Pokemon Go.

UK
PULSELOOPER wrote:

+1

The Diamond Age is also pretty fucking good. In no particular order here's a small list of stuff I thought was cool:

Lexicon by Max Barry - Lexicographers use phonemes to hack mental states.

The Islanders by Christopher Priest - Guide to an archipelago of islands situated in a temporal anomaly; the plot is just bizarre and scattered throughout each entry.

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keys - Experiment turns mentally challenged guy into genius, he reverts back again, follows his experience via diary entries, depressing.

Gateway by Frederick Pohl - Humans find abandoned alien space station filled with spaceships they're unable to control, or even understand. Prospectors pick ships to ride, sometimes coming back with treasures, sometimes coming back dead.

Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers - Classic, similar to Gateway, some kind of ephemeral, eldritch intelligence (maybe?) visits Earth, leaves behind objects and phenomena beyond human comprehension.

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding - Steampunk airship pirates meets Fullmetal Alchemist.

Mt. Sustenance, Meat Planet
DeerPresident wrote:

Haruki Murakami's 'Kafka on the Shore' and 'A Wild Sheep Chase', for sci-fi, Phillip K Dick and HG Wells

I definitely second these recs^

As well as:

Haruki Murakami - Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
David Wong - John Dies at the End
Kim Stanley Robinson - Red Mars
Terry Pratchett - Mort
Philip K. Dick - A Scanner Darkly
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse Five
Ray Bradbbury - Something Wicked This Way Comes

There are also a lot of great short stories by Bradbury, Vonnegut, Isaac Asimov, and Dick that you can check out.

› Bonus

oklahoma

1984 George Orwell
Brave new world Aldous Huxley

Last edited by oscillating (Aug 11, 2016 4:45 pm)

England
PULSELOOPER wrote:

i just got about a 1/2 of the way through it and it didnt grab me at all, and i gave up!

i do like quite a lot of stuff from the 1950s and 60s

Ursula K. Le Guin (everything everything everything by her, even the childrens' books about wizards)

Margaret Atwood (oryx and crake trilogy is so good - its post apocalyptic though really)

Charles Stross (id avoid the Merchant Princes & and ghost investigation thriller stuff though, try and stick to his hard scifi, some of it gets pretty far out, post humans having a physical presence shit. the stuff about MMOs is interesting too)

Gene Wolfe (The Book of the New Sun series, dreamy fantasy stuff)

Joe Haldeman (The Forever War is a classic scifi war book)

John Wyndham (The Day of the Triffids & The Chrysalids are the most readable i think)

Brian Aldiss (Helliconia series is my fav)

iain m banks, of course tongue

pretty much anything in the SF or Fantasy Masterworks series, if you just wanna pick up something random, they are pretty much all good.

edits - some others that are fun but kinda trashy:

Jeff Noon vurt was druggy fun

chris beckett - dark eden

Paolo Bacigalupi - The Windup Girl (concious artificial sex slave stuff?

george rr martin non game of thrones stuff. fevre dream is a pretty good vampire novel

oh and +1 for these

PROTODOME wrote:

Lexicon by Max Barry - Lexicographers use phonemes to hack mental states.

Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers - Classic, similar to Gateway, some kind of ephemeral, eldritch intelligence (maybe?) visits Earth, leaves behind objects and phenomena beyond human comprehension.

err yeah i like reading

Last edited by Jellica (Aug 11, 2016 5:22 pm)

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I'm currently reading the second book and am at the part where Zaphod Beeblebrox decides to (unknowingly) stowaway in Hotblack Desiato's black ship which just happens to be the stunt ship that's going to be used in a sundive stunt for Disaster Area's rock concert.

UK
Jellica wrote:

Paolo Bacigalupi - The Windup Girl (concious artificial sex slave stuff?

I kinda liked this actually. It was incredibly depressing, but poignant.

Sestri Levante, Genova, Italy

+1 to Philip K. Dick

The Icarus Hunt by Zahn. Takes a bit to get going, but once it does, you're in for a seriously good time.

Solar System

Thanks for nice tips! I will check them in nearest books store. I am also finishing reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (Metaverse, VR)! And yesterday I have buyed Ready Player One by Ernest Cline...

Last edited by Matej (Aug 13, 2016 3:47 pm)

Rhode Island

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey. It is the first in the Expanse series and it is amazing

Earth

The Martian by Andy Weir is a good near-future sci-fi. Exciting story, not too heavy. Short too.

Last edited by breakphase (Aug 16, 2016 3:58 am)

The Forest, WA

Neuromancer

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

If you like reading sentences that last for whole pages, this English translation of the Russian classic 'The Master and Margarita' is one of the best things ever written.

http://www.masterandmargarita.eu/estore … glenny.pdf