Florida

I was into video game music cover bands (The Megas, Metroid Metal) in late high school. While in college, the bands to which I listened weren't releasing anything new, so, hungry for more, I asked on the forum of Starmen.net if anyone knew of any groups/artists who made "video game music". Someone there linked me to the page on 8bitpeoples for Anamanaguchi's Power Supply album, and my mind was blown.

Within a year, I was tracking on NerdTracker II. After about a year, I had borrowed an R4 from a friend on campus, downloaded the LSDJ demo, and was making Game Boy music on a DS lite. Eventually, I graduated to a DMG, bought an EMS cart, and bought the full version of LSDJ (that $2 really broke me for sure).

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ el ass dee j

Was just strolling through youtube one day and found this.

Downloaded famitracker and the rest is history.

I think I heard an Anamanaguchi song on someone's myspace profile around 2006-2007ish. I'd always loved game music so I thought it was cool and looked up more stuff. I found Disasterpeace's myspace not long after that which lead me to Pause and eventually other netlabels like 8bitpeoples. Somewhere in there I found 8bc and started getting involved and wanted to learn tracker music (and music in general really).

vancouver, canada

> was born

> got picked last in soccer during recess

> CHIP TUNES MUSICIAN

Tacoma WA

bought nanoloop off of someone locally who was selling it on em411.com  found 8bc.. started hanging out at 8bc.. became a mod.  it got weird.  moved over here during the great chip diaspora.  sold all my nanoloop stuff to help fund a modular synth.  just bought nanoloop mono because it seems cool

IL, US
infradead wrote:

bought nanoloop off of someone locally who was selling it on em411.com  found 8bc.. started hanging out at 8bc.. became a mod.  it got weird.  moved over here during the great chip diaspora.  sold all my nanoloop stuff to help fund a modular synth.  just bought nanoloop mono because it seems cool

out of curiosity, did you keep the nanovoice? i'm always interested in where my old gear ends up, just found out the other week that my nanoloop 1.3b cart made it's way to IAYD

france

I've play two years of impulse and fast tracker 15 years ago before making music with rebirth, flstudio reason and hardware synth.
I've discovered lgpt, nanoloop, lsdj 5 years ago on youtube which was : "Wahhooo, what is this weird and cool stuff ?!"
I fall into chip and related kind of sound and I play now with nanoloop and other gears.

UK

In 2004 some guy in a local band that my band were playing a show with told me about midines. A quick hunt about on the net led me to getting nanoloop because i had a gameboy kicking about. Straight away started dumping tunes on 8bc. When that imploded i ended up here.

Funny thing is i had never really paid that much attention to any kind of electronic music at all untill chip music, and i fell for synths, glitches and noise pretty fast.

UK

Also chip music is partly responsibe for me being in the industry i am in at the moment and actually getting me a job i absoloutly fucking love, so its kinda the best thing to happen to me after my wife in a way.

Last edited by bigchip (Sep 4, 2016 9:04 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

I've always been big into electronic dance music and did a degree in music tech. I used to make techno mostly, and was heavily into the Leeds techno scene during my time at university there. Following, I graduated and moved to Japan for an adventure. During the first 3 years here I gave up music entirely and concentrated on getting proficient in the language. Once I got to a level where I was happy, I stopped studying and was looking for a hobby to pick up again, that's where music came in. I started making techno, and dubstep-style music (as dubstep was just blowing up around that time). A friend of mine introduced me to chiptune through the Gamewave Podcast, and I learnt about artists such as Quarta330, minikomi, ??? and eventually 8bc. It was then that I decided to go headfirst into the scene, so I got a gameboy and flashcart and started trying to emulate the dubstep sounds in LSDJ.

Since then, I met Lazerbeat, started Cheapbeats, and the rest is history I guess..! Been here ever since.

The chip scene has been one of the best things in my life and I'm grateful for all the adventures I've had so far, the cool people I've met, and the adventures still to come in the future.

heart

Portland, OR, USA

>be an autistic freshman
>go on Youtube to listen to 8 bit covers of songs
>find out about Blipfest, Anamanaguchi, Ultrasyd, and Bitshifter
>decide I want to make 8bit music
>broke as fuck and don't own a gameboy
>download famitracker for free
>lurk famitracker forums for four years
>learn how to not suck
>present day
>try to get into the scene
>end up here through the magic that is Google

Melbourne

August 1996 PC Format magazine had a bunch of MOD/S3M/XM files on the coverdisc, as well as FT2 and a brief article about the demoscene. I didn't have any access to the internet at that time, but I totally rinsed those tracks, often just letting them loop in FT2 while I played Nibbles. I eventually started pilfering the samples for use in my own tracks, and made a bunch of super rudimentary rave, industrial and thrash metal for a while until I discovered IDM.. then one day I thought "hey what if I made tracks that sound like those Fleshbrain MODs I listen to all the time" and Pselodux was born.

I can't remember how I found this site. I think someone linked me here not long after I moved to Melbourne, or perhaps I discovered it through Soundbytes or something..

UK
cheapshot wrote:

I've always been big into electronic dance music and did a degree in music tech. I used to make techno mostly, and was heavily into the Leeds techno scene during my time at university there. Following, I graduated and moved to Japan for an adventure. During the first 3 years here I gave up music entirely and concentrated on getting proficient in the language. Once I got to a level where I was happy, I stopped studying and was looking for a hobby to pick up again, that's where music came in. I started making techno, and dubstep-style music (as dubstep was just blowing up around that time). A friend of mine introduced me to chiptune through the Gamewave Podcast, and I learnt about artists such as Quarta330, minikomi, ??? and eventually 8bc. It was then that I decided to go headfirst into the scene, so I got a gameboy and flashcart and started trying to emulate the dubstep sounds in LSDJ.

Since then, I met Lazerbeat, started Cheapbeats, and the rest is history I guess..! Been here ever since.

The chip scene has been one of the best things in my life and I'm grateful for all the adventures I've had so far, the cool people I've met, and the adventures still to come in the future.

heart

Lovely story mate.

The first thing vaguely in this sphere that I came across was The Advantage. I used to discover a lot of new music on LAUNCHcast (old online streaming radio station type thing) and finding that band and their first album made me realise people actually made (rock) music related to video games. From there I found HORSE the band and discovered the whole Nintendocore scene. I started my own chip rock band with some guys from school (Spheres of Chaos), and the first chip artist I found was Disasterpeace, and from there the MySpace floodgates opened. Then came the Gamewave Podcast, then Pterodactyl Squad. The rest is history.

UK
arlen wrote:

I think I heard an Anamanaguchi song on someone's myspace profile around 2006-2007ish. I'd always loved game music so I thought it was cool and looked up more stuff. I found Disasterpeace's myspace not long after that which lead me to Pause and eventually other netlabels like 8bitpeoples. Somewhere in there I found 8bc and started getting involved and wanted to learn tracker music (and music in general really).

I miss Pause so hard.

Tokyo, Japan
ptesquad wrote:

Lovely story mate.

Cheers mate! And yeah, I miss Pause too.

long island, ny

Back in like 2009, I discovered Anamanaguchi through a CollegeHumor video about how the boys use their NES; around the time "Dawn Metropolis" came out.

I didn't get super into the "using obsolete hardware to make music" aspect until 2011 when I started listening to Nullsleep, Bit Shifter, and Covox.

But I didn't get LSDJ until I came across "Vacation Wasteland EP" by Slime Girls in 2013!