San Diego, CA
egr wrote:
PULSELOOPER wrote:

From times to times I also perform on games/anime/general geek events (always for the money) and the response is the worst because those people are all morons.

The inevitable "this doesn't even sound like mega man" attitude that you're referring to is the most infuriating aspect of using any old game hardware for music. Like someone else said earlier I'm strongly considering sampling all my stuff into ableton and not even acknowledging the chip aspect of it in a live setting.

i'm saying this as someone who literally works in the video game industry

the worst part about making chiptune is videogames

settle

just throwing in my two cents:

interesting that a thread on "worst part about making chiptunes" has led to some really interesting discussion, and some good music to boot.

though i occasionally like poppy, dancy stuff, i really get into the more unusual music that people put out–7/4 time signatures, ambient sounds, complex melodies… so please, keep it up!

@jellica i don't know how i'm just now hearing about kittenrock, but for sure i'll be digging through it! big_smile

Last edited by djhaka (Sep 4, 2016 1:13 am)

Unsubscribe

My new least favorite thing is how threads like this have twenty pages and new release threads have zero replies.

Unsubscribe

Oh yea and double posts

Last edited by herr_prof (Sep 4, 2016 3:17 am)

Finland
herr_prof wrote:

My new least favorite thing is how threads like this have twenty pages and new release threads have zero replies.

Because, again, actually listening to something and giving some kind of informed feedback is a lot more "hard work" than just sharing random thoughts. smile

It does suck, however I admit and it's also, in addition to what I already said earlier in this thread, something I'm not really fond of. But as much as I hate being locked away in obscurity, being randomly discovered every once in a blue moon and someone goes "hey man your music is cool". I kind of hate communities that kind of enforce a false "kindness" where people get rewarded with arbitrary pointsystems for making posts.
The discussions on those kinds of sites, like DA, never fucking stop because someone has to be the last person to say something.
"Your work is great!"
"Thank you very much!"
"You're welcome!"
"Thanks!"
"You're welcome"
ad nauseam.

So it's a love/hate relationship there. LOL smile

Last edited by my.Explosion (Sep 4, 2016 8:22 am)

Earth
my.Explosion wrote:

(I) hate communities that kind of enforce a false "kindness" where people get rewarded with arbitrary pointsystems for making posts.
The discussions on those kinds of sites, like DA, never fucking stop because someone has to be the last person to say something.
"Your work is great!"
"Thank you very much!"
"You're welcome!"
"Thanks!"
"You're welcome"
ad nauseam.

So it's a love/hate relationship there. LOL smile

I always feel stupid giving feedback. Most of the time, I don't have something of substance to say. And  criticism seems rude, and not helpful mostly. But if I do say something in an album thread or whatever, it means I like it a lot. It means I overcame my fear of being banal, and posted anyway.

That's why Like buttons are good(like 8bc had), because I can express that I like it, without saying something specific.

Last edited by breakphase (Sep 5, 2016 9:39 pm)

Abandoned on Fire
spacetownsavior wrote:
egr wrote:

The inevitable "this doesn't even sound like mega man" attitude that you're referring to is the most infuriating aspect of using any old game hardware for music. Like someone else said earlier I'm strongly considering sampling all my stuff into ableton and not even acknowledging the chip aspect of it in a live setting.

i'm saying this as someone who literally works in the video game industry

the worst part about making chiptune is videogames

heart

Melbourne

yeah I'd love to distance myself from the videogame aspect. It's just so prevalent though. I've played a few gaming related gigs and the audiences just seemed like they'd rather I stop playing so they can get back to/concentrate on their game.

At the same time though, I do occasionally throw in a videogame cover in my live sets, so I'm as guilty of perpetuating that stereotype as anyone else tongue

Tokyo, Japan

Nothing really bothers me about making chiptune... It's just for fun. If I lose my motivation, thats all good, I'll take a break and come back to it.

The relationship between chip and videogames is something that doesn't bother me either. True fans of the genre know that there isn't that much of a link, but it bothers me sometimes that chiptune is used as a label on VGM remixes. Cos clearly, that's incorrect af.

cheapshot wrote:

Nothing really bothers me about making chiptune... It's just for fun. If I lose my motivation, thats all good, I'll take a break and come back to it.

I like this attitude! smile

1 Corinthians 7:31 - ...those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.

Wherever
pselodux wrote:

I'm sitting on a 3-track, 1.5 hour 0F.digital album because people said my 10-minute tracks were too repetitive; in a way I'd love to subject people to the new 30 minute tracks.. but ehhh

A bit late, but dude release that stuff! I'd be all over it, as I love all your previous NL2 stuff.

Melbourne
Spöka wrote:
pselodux wrote:

I'm sitting on a 3-track, 1.5 hour 0F.digital album because people said my 10-minute tracks were too repetitive; in a way I'd love to subject people to the new 30 minute tracks.. but ehhh

A bit late, but dude release that stuff! I'd be all over it, as I love all your previous NL2 stuff.

thanks! it's a 5-track release now..

https://0f-digital.bandcamp.com/album/sttc

Wherever
pselodux wrote:
Spöka wrote:

thanks! it's a 5-track release now..

https://0f-digital.bandcamp.com/album/sttc

Oh, I already downloaded it as soon as you released it. wink Great stuff!

Portland, OR

A consistently frustrating thing to me is that chiptune is a really topheavy scene. The only shows are big fests, so only the big artists ever get to play shows. It's not like every other genre where you can play a bunch of small bar and house shows to get better and build up a following. In chiptune it's all or nothing, and unless you blew up in like 2009, it's usually nothing. It's a lot easier for promoters to just delete your emails than to try something weird and new at their venues that won't immediately drive booze sales.

Personally I think the problem is a lot of chiptune artists think they can only play chiptune-related gigs for some reason.  Putting on those shows and maintaining them year to year is a difficult and expensive operation, so there aren't a lot of them.    Just try and play small shows and venues like any other band or artist would, it's still dance music.  It really doesn't have to be chiptune related.

Portland, OR

I agree, it's just hard to get on those shows because it takes so much explanation, as opposed to like "hey my metal band is looking for a show."

Last edited by jerkemy (Oct 24, 2016 8:21 pm)