Offline
California
sandneil wrote:

which also makes doing collabs really easy and fun!

Yeah like I always wondered how other people collab when they don't own the same VSTs and effects n stuff. trading wav stems always seemed kinda inflexible (but I've never done anything like that myself so maybe it's not that bad)

Offline
Brunswick, GA USA
sandneil wrote:

dear chubby middle aged guy with the 70s mustache and the cute baby who was wearing a BRK tshirt in ikea today, you are my favourite thing about producing chiptune

Sorry, it wasn't me. I'm not chubby and I don't shop at Ikea.

Offline
chunter wrote:
sandneil wrote:

dear chubby middle aged guy with the 70s mustache and the cute baby who was wearing a BRK tshirt in ikea today, you are my favourite thing about producing chiptune

Sorry, it wasn't me. I'm not chubby and I don't shop at Ikea.

congrats on the cute baby though!

Offline
New Jersey, USA

cuz its like making an OST to a non-existent video game.  I like telling stories with music

Offline
Kiel, Germany

Even though I don't release much chip music anymore, composing on LSDJ is the best tool to blast through writer's block since I don't feel any pressure to live up to a standard (as it is with the rest of my output).

Plus, the community really is for life. I love that I still get random calls for gigs now and then to just have a night of stupid fun, no matter how little or many people there are to party with us. There's a distinctive strength in the scene that is just not there in any other music scene. Plus that "Stop trying to look cool, this is gameboy music, just have fun" kind of mentality.

Offline
Brunswick, GA USA
sandneil wrote:

congrats on the cute baby though!

Thanks, she's almost 2 now.

Offline
United States

I think we can all agree that the reactions people have to the music or how we make the music are always worth it

Offline
UK

It's easy to jot down your ideas and thoughts of music into a playable format.

If it sounds alright on your headphones it's probably gonna sound alright through a speaker too.

Offline
São Paulo, Brazil
CS wrote:

If it sounds alright on your headphones it's probably gonna sound alright through a speaker too.

Not the shitty P.A.´s I´m used get on my gigs.

Offline
Abandoned On Fire
this-is-embr wrote:

I think we can all agree that the reactions people have to the music or how we make the music are always worth it

I had a guy storm up to the house mixing board and slam down all the faders while yelling "This sucks!" so...

Yes, 100% worth it. big_smile

Offline
Melbourne
egr wrote:

I had a guy storm up to the house mixing board and slam down all the faders while yelling "This sucks!" so...

lol nice

our crew back in the days of the Perth breakcore/hardcore scene used to get similar reactions.. usually we played in bars where the regular music was more along the lines of rock bands or "indie" DJs, so the regulars (ie. old dudes not there for music at all) would storm up to the performer and complain loudly. One guy nearly threw his beer at my friend mid-set, who was in turn inspired to make the music more repetitive and abrasive as a result lol

Offline
Joliette, QC, Canada
pselodux wrote:
egr wrote:

I had a guy storm up to the house mixing board and slam down all the faders while yelling "This sucks!" so...

lol nice

our crew back in the days of the Perth breakcore/hardcore scene used to get similar reactions.. usually we played in bars where the regular music was more along the lines of rock bands or "indie" DJs, so the regulars (ie. old dudes not there for music at all) would storm up to the performer and complain loudly. One guy nearly threw his beer at my friend mid-set, who was in turn inspired to make the music more repetitive and abrasive as a result lol

At these moments you need to entertain these mofos with doing rad stuff on stage lol ! I usually play like a fucking rockstar at these places ! Like throwing a defect gameboy on this ground Hendrix style screaming stuffs like TOGETHER WE CAN BEAT THE SYSTEM AND THE MACHINES...this or I elbow drop my old laptop keyboard once too !
Awesome times lol !

Offline
Czech Republic

randomness
and tweaking simple sequence over and over and over again to it's perfection
thank Oliver for Nanoloop 1.2, nothing can beat this baby (I really enjoy mutual pulse channel) wink

Offline
Melbourne
XyNo wrote:

Like throwing a defect gameboy on this ground Hendrix style

haha chrism + fenris did this with a c64 once; it started malfunctioning mid-track and chrism threw it on the floor while still plugged in, good times

Offline
Planet Zaxxon

The limitations force you to be more innovative.

Offline
TSSBAY01

its the pay. now if you'll excuse me, i gotta go take a gold coin bath in my vault