Hello beautiful people.  I'm new to this website and chipmusic in general (around 1 month of knowledge and endless searches for guides and gameboys) . Unfortunately I stumbled into a problem , 4 days ago I finished my first modded Gameboy ( DMG ) it has 2 mods (backlight and biverted chip from handheldlegend) , but I plan to expand , and use the first one as an example. The issue that I have right now is that the  colors on the gameboy screen are not quite right , as you can see in the photos . I was wondering if the problem is with the biverted chip ( I assume my soldering was not good enough ) or if I damaged something .
Side note : I also wanted to change the battery light , but when I soldered the new one and , changed the resistor , as it was suggested , nothing happened I assume I damaged something there aswell .
Would like to hear any sorts of feedback , since I've seen a lot of knowledgable and nice people here , thanks in advance . Have a nice day !

http://imgur.com/EOo7dbY

http://imgur.com/2gmN8R4

Mod edit: Fixed image code and made the title more descriptive.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Sep 11, 2016 3:13 pm)

The bivert chip changes the polarity of two signal lines. It looks like you only have one of the two coming through (hence, the black white monochrome) so I'm guessing you made a little soldering error on one of the two lines...

Open up,
Check soldering
Rinse and repeat.

Timbob wrote:

The bivert chip changes the polarity of two signal lines. It looks like you only have one of the two coming through (hence, the black white monochrome) so I'm guessing you made a little soldering error on one of the two lines...

Open up,
Check soldering
Rinse and repeat.

Thank you Timbob , I thought , I won't be able to useit and already bought a new Gameboy(GBC) just in case ! Again thanks for the feedback , and have a nice day !

Last edited by Betar (Sep 11, 2016 3:54 pm)

oklahoma

Positive that you didn't wire the led backwards? Try switching wires on it. Post some pics of the guts!

oklahoma

Doubles

Last edited by oscillating (Sep 11, 2016 6:24 pm)

NUMBSKULL

To help troubleshoot the bivert mod, I had a friend build me a rom. You can find it in this thread, and if you do have a problem with your bivert wiring, you will only see two color (like I did) instead of 4.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/18845 … wo-shades/

NUMBSKULL

Also, that shell and color combo looks great! Is that an aftermarket Chinese shell, or OEM?

catskull wrote:

Also, that shell and color combo looks great! Is that an aftermarket Chinese shell, or OEM?

Thanks for the feedback , I bout it from Ebay and they were sending it from China , I loved it though ( shell , rubber buttons and buttons , screws and a small piece of plastic that protects the Link cable socket ) .

oscillating wrote:

Positive that you didn't wire the led backwards? Try switching wires on it. Post some pics of the guts!

That's exactly what I thought of , as soon as I saw on the website that LEDs' legs were of a different length . I'll have to buy new one , cause I damaged the one that I bought when trying to switch the position .

Last edited by Betar (Sep 12, 2016 12:03 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

If the LED is wired in backwards, the panel won't light up. Clearly not the problem here. The problem is the soldering of the inverter chip. Something in that area is either shorted or not connected.