Telerophon wrote:

Also, you can apparently still get Afterburner kits. I remember those being a thing circa 2002; that was a custom frontlighting system for the original GBA.

I'm not sure how well it worked, but it's another way to frontlight a classic AGB-001.

The problem is, is that they're nearly impossible to find now. Besides, if you're going the frontlight route, you're better off ripping the light guide out of a gbasp instead, which would be significantly easier to source than an Afterburner kit.

Because trust me, I tried. It was actually how I stumbled on the backlighting, was by searching how to find an afterburner kit, and someone linked a chinese youtube link of the guy testing out his backlit gba.

Los Angeles, CA

I'll be trying out the sound mod on a GBA classic in the next few days. Pics and feedback will follow smile

Austin, Texas
plc268 wrote:
Telerophon wrote:

Also, you can apparently still get Afterburner kits. I remember those being a thing circa 2002; that was a custom frontlighting system for the original GBA.

I'm not sure how well it worked, but it's another way to frontlight a classic AGB-001.

The problem is, is that they're nearly impossible to find now. Besides, if you're going the frontlight route, you're better off ripping the light guide out of a gbasp instead, which would be significantly easier to source than an Afterburner kit.

Because trust me, I tried. It was actually how I stumbled on the backlighting, was by searching how to find an afterburner kit, and someone linked a chinese youtube link of the guy testing out his backlit gba.

Ah, I didn't realize you were specifically referring to a backlit screen from the AGS-101 SP. My bad.

Cleveland, OH

I did this a few times then completely forgot how because it had been a couple years. It was not as simple as soldering to the volume pot. If I remember correctly the amp is after the volume pot so you have to pro-sound it somewhere before the pot and the amp.
I followed the traces back and there are two tiny little exposed vias. I think this was it. I need to experiment with it again and find out.

I looked everywhere for this and here is where I found people talk about this mod, so sorry in advance (no pun intended) for resurrecting this thread.

But basically I just wanted to ask OP's question again. After 4 years can anybody link to a guide or create a quick one on how to do a prosound for the classic GBA? Specifically an internal one like you can do with the DMG and GBC.

Last edited by sanic (Oct 23, 2016 6:32 pm)

UK

It may be worth having a chat with Joe Bleeps if you're interested in the prosound mod for the gameboy advance

https://www.facebook.com/JoeBleeps/phot … mp;theater

san diego

For anyone wanting to prosound mod the Gameboy advance agb-001.

The solder points are R30 & R31 thats left and right.

You cant adjust the output level with the volume but its way louder then stock level.

Here is a link of where i soldered:

about noise filtering:

a very big capacitor (i'm using 1000 uF) on the 3V rail eliminates the hum and also the higher pitched hum/tone caused by the DMA interrupt almost completely.
there is still the very high pitched whine though. like the hum, it is constant and not affected by the volume setting, so it's not part of the pre-amp signal.

san diego
oliver wrote:

about noise filtering:

a very big capacitor (i'm using 1000 uF) on the 3V rail eliminates the hum and also the higher pitched hum/tone caused by the DMA interrupt almost completely.
there is still the very high pitched whine though. like the hum, it is constant and not affected by the volume setting, so it's not part of the pre-amp signal.

Where did you connect the 1000uf cap? Did you connect it to the AMP AGB?

I did notice there is some noise after this mod i did.

Any help would be awesome!

tenshun wrote:
oliver wrote:

about noise filtering:

Where did you connect the 1000uf cap? Did you connect it to the AMP AGB?

I did notice there is some noise after this mod i did.

Any help would be awesome!

I'm very interested in that too, it's just what my customized gba need to be perfect big_smile

Is there enough room at the bottom of the case, near the power switch, to mount a 3.5mm jack?  I more commonly see it done up top near the triggers.