france

If you have ever used a PSP with RIN to play LSDJ you have seen it sucks a lot.
Gambatte is really a better emulator for the sound and now it run via retroarch.
I've try out and it seem to works well :

http://www.libretro.com/forums/viewtopi … amp;t=2436

have fun !!!

Earth

Hey, this is great. Do you know how to load .sav.gz files? I can't get my songs in there.

france

if it is a sav.gz file, I think you have to gunzip it. if you have no gunzip available on your laptop, put this file somewhere and i will gunzip it for you.

Bratislava, Slovakia

I am back to original DMG-01, have tried some emulators for a week, but original Nintendo is unbeatable smile

Earth
yoyz2k wrote:

if it is a sav.gz file, I think you have to gunzip it. if you have no gunzip available on your laptop, put this file somewhere and i will gunzip it for you.

Good tip! I thought it was like Rin, which wants savs to be gzipped. I'll try it out.

martin_demsky wrote:

I am back to original DMG-01, have tried some emulators for a week, but original Nintendo is unbeatable

That's very true. Alas, the PSP is a bit more convenient for me. But If I have to settle for Rin, it's a no go.

Austin, TX

How do you get around the button combos on retroarch pulling up menus?

Earth
HimsyPimsy wrote:

How do you get around the button combos on retroarch pulling up menus?

Err, which button combos do that? I can't even figure out how to bring up the retroarch menus.

france

The "Note" buttons pull up the menu on my old 1.0.3 retroarch on psp.

London, UK

I've got LSDJ running on RIN on a 2000 and the sound is pretty good. It's a little muddy compared to original hardware but the bass/volume is somewhere inbetween the pocket and the DMG I find. Plus, no hiss/hum!

So how is Gambatte different? Sound is more accurate? I already thought RIN was quite good...

france

The wav channel is different.
It's near accurate without the hiss and the hum.
Rin is poor on this channel.
gambatte is definitely for me the best emulator for the sound.

Earth

Yeah exactly. Samples sound really bad. And the timing is off too. That's what made it basically unusable for me. Especially when I used a lot of swing,i would notice it. Noise doesn't track accurately between a gameboy and Rin either. I think Gambatte sounds better.

London, UK

Oh okay, I'll take your advice and give it a go then. Thanks!

(Just finished setting it up: Note to others - install Retroarch 1.3 on your PSP. 1.3.6 crashes with Gambatte (and I'm not the only one, bug report is in the repo).)

I'm waiting for new headphones so can't really test yet, but it's running now at least, plus I can play with Retroarch filters!

Anyway, I finally found where Retroarch puts its saves, but noticed they're in .srm format (as opposed to the .sav format in RIN). Is there any way to get .savs that I've downloaded from the web/bandcamp/etc. into Retroarch?

London, UK

Okay, I found a way around it. The mighty Google led me to this:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/iz71k0ius … verter.exe

Would appear that someone already had this problem and wrote a converter.

What's not quite so clear is how to use it. You can drag and drop your .sav or .srm file onto the executable in the File Explorer. The file will be converted and will output in the same directory as the source file.

So I did that with my .sav file from RIN (after unzipping it with 7-Zip) and it output as an .srm file. Put it in the relevant directory in Retroarch on my PSP and it all works fine.

Will compare audio soon, although I must say that playing a track in LSDJ on RIN sounded pretty much the same as the .wav file the artist had recorded from original hardware (I got the sng files when I bought their music on bandcamp).

What I *will* say however, is that stereo panning on RIN is completely wrong. Audio designated as left comes out the right channel and vice-versa. I presume this isn't the case with Gambatte.

Anyway, hope the link and info above saves someone some time in the future because, like breakphase, I also use my PSP for convenience (commuting on several trains means the sleep functionality of the PSP is a godsend!).