I-Da-Hoe

I've been listening to a lot of oldschool Hip Hop lately, and wanted to try making a long, episodic track that gets pushed forward by repetitive drums and bass. A lot of the chords, melodies and sound effects are really understated. I'm not really used to using two gameboys, and this style is also pretty new to me, so I want to know what people think. Does it get boring? If so, where? Are the transitions cool or irritating? Are the sound effects and muddy parts just annoying? Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/willbrehm/chipmix-1

Earth

It's good. Cohesive.

Naptown

i like it. somewhere around 2:00 i think you could change up the bassline pattern though. maybe use a couple different variations. drop a bunch of notes from it, then bring them back in, etc.

Earth
urbster1 wrote:

i like it. somewhere around 2:00 i think you could change up the bassline pattern though. maybe use a couple different variations. drop a bunch of notes from it, then bring them back in, etc.

Yeah,. I agree with that. Just change it a bit, then change back later.

I-Da-Hoe

Yeah, I kind of got into the habit of dropping the same patterns for bass and drums and working on other things. I'll start giving them the same tender loving care as everything else.

England

you could do a lot more with 2 gameboys! :)

nothing wrong with repetition but if you are gonna go for it, i think you need to get need to get a more hypnotic groove thing going on, rather than simple melodies/bassline.