St. Charles, MO

Hey guys, sorry for starting so many threads, but I was curious if it is possible to hex edit LSDJ to get some custom colors. I know there are quite a few, and the first (blue, orange, and white) one is okay, but it would be really cool to choose my own colors. Does anyone know A: If it's possible (which I'm 99% sure it is) and B: How to do it/what bytes or whatever they're called to edit.

St. Charles, MO

Anyone?

Boise, ID

necro bump,

I too would really like to do this. If anyone could offer instruction I'd appreciate it a lot!

Toronto, Canada

I've seen custom colour pallets and custom fonts, but unfortunately I have no idea how to use nor create them...

Pain Perdu uses them though, maybe try getting a hold of him?

Naptown

Aquellex (aka GammaBlaster) made some custom skins, I believe these are the ones Pain Perdu uses: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhRS0efU3BeShtJRfoRSwCtIZrEMCw

to use them, just apply the IPS patch to the LSDJ rom

if that link doesn't work, try the one in his Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/aquellex

Last edited by urbster1 (Nov 30, 2016 9:26 pm)

Boise, ID

Hey, thank you! I'm glad a .ips patcher exists.
I have a specific color palette I'd like to make... I'll try to edit one of those .ips, or maybe find someone to do it for a few bucks if I can't. tongue

Canberra, Australia

To edit colour schemes, you will need:

• BGB (to use its VRAM viewer and edit colour palettes in realtime, though the colours won't be saved unless you edit the actual values in the ROM itself with...)

• -...a hex editor (HxD is recommended)

First, I would recommend switching on "GBC LCD colors" in BGB via Options (F11) > Graphics, especially if you plan to use your colour schemes on hardware.

Here are the address offsets for the following colour palettes:

AMI: 0x40EC
CRT: 0x4114
CUTE: 0x413C
GRAY: 0x4164
RED: 0x418C
RGB: 0x41B4

Here is a screenshot that corresponds to what values you will be editing in BGB's VRAM viewer (only focus on BG0, BG1, BG2, BG3 & BG4--ignore everything else):

Also, take note that the bytes are swapped. If you forget to swap them when editing the ROM's values, you'll end up with a different colour!

To change the name of the colour schemes, just search for the respective name you want to change in text-string form.

The HTML to 15-bit colour converter in conjunction with Instant Eyedropper (or any kind of colour picker that supports returning values in HTML) may help as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't give you the seperate RGB values, so this is best used with editing the ROM directly and restarting BGB to get results :v
As for fonts, dawsx has already covered that, but the location addresses for the fonts changed in 4.8.0 and upwards (hence why a lot of the fonts on that thread end up glitching LSDJ4.8+). I would also prefer using yy-chr over Tile Layer Pro for editing the tiles if you wish to delve into font hacking as well tongue

Boise, ID

Thank you so much!! heart

Boise, ID

So, I understand everything except how to find the location of the values in HxD I need to edit for the different palettes of colors. How do I find these in the grid?

GammaBlaster wrote:

Here are the address offsets for the following colour palettes:

AMI: 0x40EC
CRT: 0x4114
CUTE: 0x413C
GRAY: 0x4164
RED: 0x418C
RGB: 0x41B4

This is what I'm looking at... It looks like the layout of data after the first color is different than yours.

Edit: nvm, finally noticed the offset display at the bottom of HxD
got it working, thanks again!

Last edited by ShintarouMusic (Dec 6, 2016 11:35 am)

Paris, France

That's right, Aquellex is the one that kindly made me a .ips patch with custom colors and fonts! You guys should consider donating a few bucks to him if he's still inclined to receive commissions for this. I'm personally super happy.

Paris, France

That's right, Aquellex is the one that kindly made me a .ips patch with custom colors and fonts! You guys should consider donating a few bucks to him if he's still inclined to receive commissions for this. I'm personally super happy.