EDIT: I will be giving these games away for free. I understand that the pay is very low, but I'm not making a cent from this project, so I'm unable to pay much either. I don't mean to offend anyone with my low rate.

---

Hey there! I'm a game developer looking for a musician.

I made the games Ramble Planet and Void Pyramid (on PC and Android), in case you played them.

I've created 2 new games for a PC game compilation in the style of an NES multi-cart (i.e. Action 52 or Caltron 6-in-1). Both of these games should be completed in the next 30 days so I need to start thinking about music. I would love for the same musician to score both games.

One game is called Xoo: Xeno Xafari. It is an RPG/adventure game that takes place on an island in the Bermuda Triangle that is full of aliens. The goal of the game is spot all of the aliens and populate your "Xeno Catalog". It's a peaceful and relaxing kind of game that needs an equally peaceful (yet groovy soundtrack). The music must be in the NES style, although it does not need to adhere strictly to the technical limitations of the NES.

Here is a track from Saga Frontier that capture that right feel and atmosphere, although, I would the music needs to be in an NES style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-oSUIEn218

I need a short piece for the title screen. Then I need a much longer piece for the main game. This will play uninterrupted for a long period of time. It would nice if it it had a lot variation and possibility some different sections.

Number of songs required : 2
Rough length of songs :  Title Theme (60 seconds) Main Game Music (5-10 minutes)
Deadline : 3/1
Style or Genre required : groovy, relaxing
Compensation : $30 and a credit in the game
Contact information : [email protected]
Game / company website : andihagen.wordpress.com (my blog)

The other game is unnamed currently. It is a fast-paced psychedelic action game about dodging colorful flying objects. The player races through levels filled with obstacles and tries to avoid nearly constantly death. The music would also need to be in an NES style. It should be fast-paced, intense, weird, and psychedelic.

The levels are all very short (between 30 seconds and 2 minutes) so the music pieces will be short.

Number of songs required : 5
Rough length of songs :  Title Theme (60 seconds) Normal Level (60 seconds) Turbo Level (60 seconds) Reverse Level (60 seconds) Endurance Level (2 minutes)
Deadline : 3/1
Style or Genre required : fast, intense, weird
Compensation : $30 and a credit in the game
Contact information : [email protected]
Game / company website : andihagen.wordpress.com (my blog)

Drop me a line and link me to some samples of your work if you are interested and can meet the deadline. I can show you the games (and let you play them too). Thanks!

Last edited by willyelektrix (Jan 13, 2017 3:13 pm)

Melbourne, Australia

You might want to rethink that rate, this is hours and hours of work

Montreal, Canada

Melbourne, Australia

Would you normally pay someone 30 bucks for 50 hours of work (give or take)?
You really value our time less than a dollar an hour? Haha, let me show you the door.

Sounds like a fun project. But I must agree that the pay compensation for the tight time constraint is asking quite a lot.

If I had no work and personal life, then it might be achievable in 30 days. However, the pay is not a very good offer for what's being asked.

Who knows though? Perhaps you might find someone out there who will help you out with this. Just take into consideration that musicians really work hard to funnel their creativity to fit within these NES chiptune limits. It's not as simple as some people might think. You have to account for the limitation of channels, and trying to get certain sound aesthetics out of only 3 variations of a pulse wave and a triangle channel that can't even change volume. Whatever musician decides to help you out... just treat him right, OK?

theythem wrote:

I realize that this is a lot of work and the compensation is not that high. I didn't mean to offend anyone on this forum.

I am making these games and giving them away for free. Considering that, I'm not in a position to spend lots of money to pay a musician.

While you might spend 25-50 hours making music and only receive $60, I'm spending 200-400 hours and losing $60. Imagine how I feel! smile

Hopefully I can find someone who is an artist for the love of it.

Here’s another thought: If anyone has music that already fits this criteria, maybe they would be let me use it for free. Then a musician wouldn’t have to create any new music and would also get some exposure for themselves.

Last edited by willyelektrix (Jan 13, 2017 4:15 pm)

willyelektrix wrote:
theythem wrote:

I realize that this is a lot of work and the compensation is not that high. I didn't mean to offend anyone on this forum.

I am making these games and giving them away for free. Considering that, I'm not in a position to spend lots of money to pay a musician.

While you might spend 25-50 hours making music and only receive $60, I'm spending 200-400 hours and losing $60. Imagine how I feel! smile

Hopefully I can find someone who is an artist for the love of it.

Here’s another thought: If anyone has music that already fits this criteria, maybe they would be let me use it for free. Then a musician wouldn’t have to create any new music and would also get some exposure for themselves.

You know, I think if your time limit were not so strict, it would be better. Again, you might find "someone" to help. But I don't think it will be easy.

My advice for the future is to get a musician right away, as soon as possible when you start a game project. That way, the musician can have the most time to help give your game the musical sparkle that it needs.

I found out that the musician for the original "Sonic the Hedgehog" game only had a single picture to work with. The game was earlier in development, I think, but he wasn't even shown actual gameplay footage. That soundtrack is still remembered even 25 years later by fans around the world.

You might only need just a written concept, and not even a picture. But the most important thing a musician needs is time. Food for thought.

Hope all goes well!

Toronto, Canada

Y'all so shook about this lol.
If you need music for a future project, hmu