Now the AY player is done I've started having a look through my other WIP projects to work on.  I've decided to give the Sid Remix tool a proper look and see how it goes.  Here's current progress:

Currently you can run 3 source songs in sync (with timing adjustments) and pipe their channels and filters out to up to 3 sid chips in any order.   The next thing I'm looking at is the fx busses, which will allow you to start manipulating the data as it passes from input to output.

Song credits (from top to bottom on the left) : "Shorty" by Dane , "Lightforce" by Rob Hubbard and "Crazy Comets" also by Rob.  I'm cherry picking channels from all 3 songs and piping them out to 2 sid chips on the right.

Babylon 5

4mat, you.... you... simply rock. This is one of the best ideas ever. I can't even imagine the possibilities during a live act with this tool.

This is fantastic 4mat! A mix program in C64 how awesome! smile

Earth

So you want to inject into the sid data from each channel?That's really cool. What kind of effects would you do? Any ideas? I guess some are obvious, like delay, pitch bend... Stutter. Is that the kind of stuff you had in mind?

Last edited by breakphase (Feb 8, 2017 12:40 am)

The Forest, WA

wowe yikes

breakphase wrote:

So you want to inject into the sid data from each channel?That's really cool. What kind of effects would you do? Any ideas? I guess some are obvious, like delay, pitch bend... Stutter. Is that the kind of stuff you had in mind?

Thanks.  Yes there'll be stuff for waveform replacement for incoming channels, pitch etc.  The current plan is to have 3 fx busses with 3 chained fx in each.  Each one of those will be a 'virtual sid' with 4 inputs & outputs. (channels+filter)  First FX in a bus will only take inputs from the tracks, but 2 & 3 will add inputs from the previous FX stages.  As you can output to the SID(s) at any point (or direct from the tracks) you should be able to have more smaller busses or 9 single FX.  I've got some of this working so far, but the amount of simultaneous ones will depend on how much cpu I have left really.   The FX setup will be per mixer state though, and currently I have room for 10 states that can be switched between live.

Been mostly doing the backend stuff on this. (like SID file loading, memory management and keyboard handlers)  Anyway I've been working on some FX, a few of which are simulators for making your tracks sound like they're playing on other chip hardware.   Here's AY and NES:

And here's Spectrum beeper, going in the style of the 'pulsewidth' ones:

Like the other fx they'll have some adjustable parameters, but obviously there's only so much authenticity you can get this way.