Hey all, i had a question that i couldn't really find answers to in terms of quality for chipmusic... and that question is how does the AGS fair as a chiptune machine?

I've had it for a long time and ive only used it for on the go lsdj work that later would be played live on my DMGs but ive decided to get nanoloop 2.7 and i started looking into the quality of the SP and already ive heard that it's not the greatest sounding gameboy out there which is a shame because ive heard some aweomely beefy stuff coming out of nanoloop.....

I've also notived there are diff versions... mine is the front-lit 001 compared to the backlit 101.

Was curious to know if there are any differences sound wise from the 2 if one is worse... also from what i can tell not much use in prosounding this boy since it's such a pain to do and the differences are minimal? amirite?

i'll probably go for my DSLite which surprise to me has actually great sound (so people say) but my biggest issue with that is syncing... i was hoping to sync it with other stuff and the DS will definitely kill that for me....

I guess i'll have to compare once i get my nanoloop cart and see if the sound difference is really worth the lack of syncing.

Also, If i decided to go with the DSLite for nanoloop, how do you manually sync it with other stuff (beatmatch it) because my understanding is once you load up nanoloop it starts playing automatically and can never really stop and start? how you guys go about beatmatching 2 nanoloops for example?

IL, US

in my experience, it's fine.. i have both a 001 (NES classic) & 101 (graphite) that i use and have also had 2 micros, a ds lite and now am on my 2nd og ds.. while the sound is a little cleaner on the ds lite, i'm picky enough for recording that i still run noise reduction and there tends to be almost no difference over a PA.. i also prefer the form factor of the gba sp over the ds models, though the micros were obviously nice for that too... nanoloop 2.x is at least stable enough in it's clock speed that you can get away without the sync cable (no drift that i've noticed, even over 2-3 hr jam sessions), but i'd still rather have it considering the relatively small difference in noise levels... agree that i don't think it's worth the work to prosound either gba sp model
edit: forgot to add that you can start and stop nanoloop 2.x by putting it into slave mode when there is no link cable connected. when you return to internal clock, it starts again with the first note in the sequencer

e.s.c. wrote:

in my experience, it's fine.. i have both a 001 (NES classic) & 101 (graphite) that i use and have also had 2 micros, a ds lite and now am on my 2nd og ds.. while the sound is a little cleaner on the ds lite, i'm picky enough for recording that i still run noise reduction and there tends to be almost no difference over a PA.. i also prefer the form factor of the gba sp over the ds models, though the micros were obviously nice for that too... nanoloop 2.x is at least stable enough in it's clock speed that you can get away without the sync cable (no drift that i've noticed, even over 2-3 hr jam sessions), but i'd still rather have it considering the relatively small difference in noise levels... agree that i don't think it's worth the work to prosound either gba sp model
edit: forgot to add that you can start and stop nanoloop 2.x by putting it into slave mode when there is no link cable connected. when you return to internal clock, it starts again with the first note in the sequencer

Thank you so much for this! it was very insightful, glad to see that the difference in sound is negligible for live shows... if i ever decided to record id probably record loops by themselves and arrange in a daw anyways.

also im glad you said that the sync function works as a start stop (and that more importantly it restarts from the first note, this was not very clear in demos i saw) this will definitely help manual beatmatching.... but honestly from what you've told me i dont think i'll have to go that route....

I'll probably sync it up with lsdj or with the ipad running mGB on a gameboy.

I finally bought the nanoloop cart and i can't wait to receive it.... i could only try out the 1.7 demo as i don't have a gba flashcart only gb carts but even then it was awesome to mess around with. funny how almost 10 years ago i wanted nothing to do with nanoloop and now it feels like the holy grail rom for me!

I have a 30 minute set for march 31st i'll try to have a nanoloop driven set for that show!

Thanks again!

IL, US

have fun.. if you aren't already in the nanoloop facebook group, you should join.. it's an good place for any questions you may end up with once you start working with it. i'm a big fan of the 2.x versions, can get some great sounds out of it if you take the time to experiment