Tucson, AZ

Alright, this has been puzzling me for quite a while now because I hear a fair amount of LSDJ songs that do it. I'm talking about when a snare in the noise channel is stereo in both the left and right headphones at the same time. I've checked around online many times and there's no mention of this anywhere as far as I can see (though if there's already discussion about it feel free to post a link to that plz!).

Broken Mirrors by Brick BRKer is a perfect example of this in action: https://soundcloud.com/brick-breaker/broken-mirrors

So how do I do this in LSDJ? Is it even possible, or is it just some post-mixing/editing magic?

EDIT: I checked the liner notes for Brick BRKers song and it just says LSDJx1, so there must be some way to do it in there, right?

Last edited by Void Argument (Apr 14, 2017 6:19 pm)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't really hear any stereo effects on that snare. Just set your snare sound to LR and leave it there, no need for any Oxx commands.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If you want a bit of stereo width on the sound, you can add something like this to the start of it's table:

O R
OL
OLR

Assuming that's a relatively fast-moving channel, that'll add a phasey/wide stereo effect, at the cost of a bit of switching noise.  It'll be played at the maximum speed unless a Gxx command overrides the default table speed.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Apr 14, 2017 8:07 pm)

Naptown

@jefftheworld is right. this sounds like the snare in the broken mirrors tune

Last edited by urbster1 (Apr 14, 2017 8:08 pm)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
urbster1 wrote:
O R
OL
OLR

@jefftheworld is right, but the second line should read OL. this sounds like the snare in the broken mirrors tune

Ha ha, yeah, good catch.

Tucson, AZ

@jefftheworld: Ah, that seems like it's about as close as it'll get to what I'm thinking. I've tried that command sequence in a table before and it's pretty cool :3 Just didn't really think of applying it to a noise instrument. Thanks for the help!

Boise, ID

I like to spilt the o command up something like

OL
OLR
-
-
-
-
O  R

so that the transient impact comes in quicker in mono and slightly trails off, opposite to whichever side I started with. It still feels pretty stereo when you use a fast envelope.
you also can flip/mirror the o commands with every second snare hit so it feels more balanced

Last edited by ShintarouMusic (Apr 15, 2017 10:22 pm)

NC in the US of America

I remember danimal cannon doing a tutorial on this?

I use those commands as well and they work particularly good on the drum machine snares/percussion sounds on the wave channel. Shintarou has a good point in leaving the 'impact' of the snare in mono and then make the tail swirl out in Left -> Right or vice versa. With the clap sound I use :
O-LR
O-L
O-R

As simple as that...

The Forest, WA

Don't forget to add an H command towards the end with what ever value makes the rippling stop while still giving you good snare decay(without having to use a K command)