Oregon

Has anyone tried using their Digitakt to control and sequence a DMG running mGB? This really seems like a match made in heaven, and I'm planning on picking up a Digitakt very soon....

I haven't tried, but I'm sure it would work just fine. Looking at the mGB manual, the Digitakt can send all the accepted MIDI messages.

Unsubscribe

Auxcide has a similar rig but I think hes using lsdj midi out mode instead, check his instragrams for some good jams

Glasgow, Scotland.

Post some vids when you get one!

Oregon

Totally. Any other Oregonians on the board?

Hawk wrote:

Totally. Any other Oregonians on the board?

Me.

I like chiptunes and samplers too wink

IL, US

not sure he visits the forums much at this point, but there's also Mechlo in Portland

I can confirm it works, though I get some notes that hang once in awhile...not sure if its my Arduino or the Gameboy.  Just a trial run, you set the midi channels 1-4 for the Channels.  If you figure out the note hanging issue let me know.  It only does it every so often on the track and resolves itself and keeps playing normally.

Looks neat!

CarrieStronggrog wrote:

Looks neat!

The Digitakt is a great start in the world of Elektron gear.  Still tons of exploration on this machine.  I'm working mainly with the internal samples atm.  The midi works flawlessly with my Volca Bass, so that hanging note issue has got to be with my arduino, I'm using main power to it and I have a jumper so I can switch to Gameboy power for it also. I added that extra resistor so power shouldn't be the issue. Even so I'm getting a note hanging every ten bars or so, and sometimes I get a pitch shifted note also.  I ordered one of Catskull's arduinoboys to see if that is my issue.  I'm looking forward to getting this sorted out, because conditional trigs are a really cool item.

Los Angeles
Todderbert wrote:

I can confirm it works, though I get some notes that hang once in awhile...not sure if its my Arduino or the Gameboy.  Just a trial run, you set the midi channels 1-4 for the Channels.  If you figure out the note hanging issue let me know.  It only does it every so often on the track and resolves itself and keeps playing normally.

Try disabling MIDI sync out since that is just wasted data for mGB, also you can turn off the screen using Select + A which will work a bit better on a DMG.

Michigan
trash80 wrote:
Todderbert wrote:

Try disabling MIDI sync out since that is just wasted data for mGB, also you can turn off the screen using Select + A which will work a bit better on a DMG.

heart

trash80 wrote:

MIDI sync was off by default, tried it on or off, didn't make a difference.  Arduino Boy powered by mains or Gameboy gave same result, until I did as you suggested and turned off the screen...bingo. works like a champ now.  When I turn the screen back on and go into the program to edit the sounds I get the glitches again.  Thanks for the help.

Edit: Also works like a champ with a Gameboy Color.  No need to turn off the screen.

Last edited by Todderbert (Oct 10, 2017 4:48 am)

London, UK

This is interesting to hear.... anyone tried it with Pushpin? I am guessing the limitation on the number of CCs the Digitakt can send per MIDI track would limit this a bit.... although I guess you can use two MIDI tracks per channel of the DMG.....

London, UK

for anyone that finds this thread looking to answer the same Q: it works great with Pushpin even on a DMG, seems to be very little latency

https://www.instagram.com/p/BciKf-8gWJ8 … botriddims