Hi,

This is a quick demo of my upcoming FM Expander cart driver for the C64.  Read the scroller for more details, this one converts playing SID files into FM data, so (in theory) you can use any sid editor you want.   I used 4 GoatTracker 1.x songs to write this.

Download for PAL machines

Last edited by 4mat (Nov 1, 2017 1:29 pm)

Thanks for the video demonstrating that superb cartridge. smile Hope I'll be able to get one cart when it's released.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4mat wrote:

Hi,

This is a quick demo of my upcoming FM Expander cart driver for the C64.  Read the scroller for more details, this one converts playing SID files into FM data, so (in theory) you can use any sid editor you want.   I used 4 GoatTracker 1.x songs to write this.

Download for PAL machines

How fast can you write parameters to the FM Expander?

jefftheworld wrote:

How fast can you write parameters to the FM Expander?

It updates them per frame. It'd probably run out of rastertime writing everything on each channel, but I do a compare with the previous frame to see what's changed and only send that.  (pitch, gate, ADSR, patch config)

Northern Sweden

Music sounds superb!

Full thing is now released.  You'll need the DASM assembler to compile but hopefully the rest is straightforward.

Poland, Gdansk

Hey, can you go 2 or 3 SIDs + FM?

Also is there any chance for OPL2 features?

Praha, Czech republic

Good job, sounds great!

scannerboy wrote:

Hey, can you go 2 or 3 SIDs + FM?

Also is there any chance for OPL2 features?

For 2SID/3SID yep, just point any free output passes at the different sid chips as needed. (see video below)  This is only playing the same SID channels back to the chips though, to 'double-up' the sound.  (though you can do stuff like changing the root octave and timbre like in the Decline demo track)   You could add a couple of unique passes to the end that only output to SID but I think it'd run out of rastertime running another music player.

OPL2 not anytime soon, before I add any more big features I'll want to get a real cart.  I also want to see if there's any interest in what's there already.

Last edited by 4mat (Nov 17, 2017 2:14 pm)

I wrote a tutorial on how to play your own SID tunes with FMX which you can read here , it only covers single SID tunes but the docs show how to expand on this.

The Forest, WA

woah this is rad!

Philadelphia

holy sh1t.