Sweden

Hi, I just got my hands on an Amiga 500 and I really need some help!
How do I get ProTracker to work on the new console? Is it just as simple as to just write protrack on an empty floppy disk or do I have to do something more? I know I'm a noob but please help a brother out

Milwaukee, WI

Montreal, Canada

Hi there.

The 500 isn't the easiest Amiga model to get started with since a lot of the more modern expansions for the Amiga are aimed towards later models. I suggest getting on Youtube and looking for tutorials on transfering data from your PC to your Amiga...there are a LOT of them. But a quick rundown is:

1) The Amiga CAN read 720kb PC disks (but you can't write Amiga disks directly on the PC)
2) For a ton of money you can buy an original A570 cdrom drive
3) A null-modem cable is a cheap and effective solution to get started

Check out videos by Dan Wood / Kookytech, they will help and you can branch out from there.

If you're stumped by all this and don't know where the fuck to begin and just want some disks to get started, hit me up in PM. I can set you up with a box of floppies with the all the basic shit you need to get up and running. Of course, you pay the shipping (I'm in Canada...) and the box of floppies (box of 10 usually goes for 10$ online, I have a few dozen boxes of unopened new-old stock here). The actual software and the time  needed compile the disks and write them is, of course, free of charge smile

I think the A500-era Amigas can only read PC disks through software, at least that's how I remember reading them.  The ST can do it directly though.

Warwickshire, UK
4mat wrote:

I think the A500-era Amigas can only read PC disks through software, at least that's how I remember reading them.  The ST can do it directly though.

Yep, that's corrent