I do not recommend it, but since a few people asked: It is now possible to put nanoloop 2.2 on newer 2.x carts (2.3+, except for 2.5) via USB-MIDI.

The procedure is described here: https://www.nanoloop.com/legacy/index.html

It is a little complicated because you first have to load a helper ROM to RAM. The process is very slow, too, it takes about 5 hours.

You can also buy nanoloop 2 carts pre-loaded with 2.2.

Melbourne

woah! I've always wanted to try the early versions.. I may have to order a third nl2 cart soon tongue

Abandoned on Fire

Took a look at the 2.2 manual and it seems fascinating! I'll have to check my cart and see if it's compatible.

Glad to have been one of the people to have asked, my 2.2 cart is on the way here and it will be fun playing with 8 tracks of nanoloop magic over the holiday, thanks Oliver!

Now, about 1.3....... smile

Last edited by darenager (Dec 19, 2017 7:05 pm)

IL, US
darenager wrote:

Glad to have been one of the people to have asked, my 2.2 cart is on the way here and it will be fun playing with 8 tracks of nanoloop magic over the holiday, thanks Oliver!

a 1.3 option for nanoloop one carts would be great

part of me is tempted to get a 2.2 cart for the 3rd time, but i know i never really end up using it much. probably because i don't find it enjoyable to make complete tracks on it, but it could be more fun when combined with other gear

Melbourne

I can't quite get the information I wanted from the manual.. is the sequencer entirely variable per step as per later versions, or is it fixed to each track having an "instrument"?

Also, how much pattern storage is there?

IL, US
pselodux wrote:

I can't quite get the information I wanted from the manual.. is the sequencer entirely variable per step as per later versions, or is it fixed to each track having an "instrument"?

Also, how much pattern storage is there?

from what i remember, 2.01-2.2 most parameters are set for each channel and not variable for each step.

Czech Republic

I have NL 2.2 but I don't use it, it's different in controls and I find it difficult around saving / loading. Each track is fixed as Instrument and I also think it's not variable for each step (don't remember exactly). I think you can change volume/envelope/gate, pitch, and filter for each step...

yes, it's a "complex beast" and i would not recommend it.

IL, US
oliver wrote:

yes, it's a "complex beast" and i would not recommend it.

lol. that being said, a few people did manage some really great stuff with 2.01-2.2, like Will Green. think i only released maybe 3 tracks with it & none of mine were particularly good.
really think it's better suited for use along with other versions of nanoloop or additional hardware since the restrictions that made it less than ideal for composing complete tracks on it are less of an issue. especially if you do your percussion outside 2.01-2.2, since you basically had to use one channel for each different drum sound you used, easily could waste most of the channels just getting your beats right

Melbourne

yeah from what I've read I assume I probably wouldn't like it, as part of my sound is cramming as many different sounds into nanoloop's sequencer as possible (ie. using it like elektron plocks).. would probably be great for ambient music though

Last edited by pselodux (Dec 21, 2017 11:12 pm)

IL, US

yeah, that's what Will Green used it for. unsurprisingly, little-scale did some nice stuff with it for his collab project Hidden Village too, but i get the feeling that he could make good music with windows notepad if he set his mind to it

sweden
e.s.c. wrote:
darenager wrote:

a 1.3 option for nanoloop one carts would be great

I like this idea! 1.3 on nanoloop one carts would be the best thing ever!

2.2 is indeed a special beast. That's also why I like it.

Tennessee

damn...looks like another cart bites the dust hmm
fuuuck

Thornhill, Scotland

Hi Folks, wondering if anyone has managed to successfully downgrade their 2.x carts to 2.2 via nlMidi?

I followed the instructions & managed to succesfully transfer the updater.gba helper ROM to the GBA resulting in a black bar and then the "0000 0000" screen appearing on the GBA as described but when I finally try to transfer the nanoloop22.gba ROM to the GBA although the buffer content begins counting up on the MAC the GBA screen does not count in sync and remains permanently at "0000 0000".

I had thought it was possible to downgrade an NL2.7 cart running 2.8.2 but I could be wrong!

I tried various cables and the inital helper updater updater.gba ROM always seems to transfer fine.
I did notice that the nanoloop22.gba file when loaded in the buffer is 7680k rather than the 8192 k that is quoted in the instructions though, not sure if that has any bearing.

Cheers!

Last edited by janza_slope (Jan 28, 2018 8:02 am)

NES GB land

Looks like its too late to get one, wondering if there is going to be a restock in the next month. Otherwise i'll just keep tinkering with the Nanoloop 2.0.1 demo rom in a GBA emulator.
Update, apparently you can get an NL2.7 cart with NL2.2  preloaded onto it. Now I understand. I was confused thinking that he was selling some carts with a "Nanoloop 2.2" label on it, but it doesn't look like i'm seeing that. Considering how rare the official Nanoloop 2.2 carts are, They don't appear on ebay very often. So in theory, you can get a 2.2 cart, but with a misleading version number.

Last edited by djmaximum (Jan 28, 2018 1:27 am)