alright so I sorta play guitar

can any one explain or give a cart so if I play a guitar note I can translate that into lsdj?

also dose any one have know where I can find a list or examples of good lsdj instruments ?
any help is greatly appreciated .

I don't believe you can do this exactly, but close. You should try midigb. You can also use some online software to convert guitar to midi, or there are a few Sonuus products that do as well. Check out Aethernaut. They use violin to midi.

Salt Lake City, UT

Two options: a guitar with MIDI output, or converting the guitar audio to MIDI

The first option is a guitar with a MIDI pickup. This is usually expensive and varies in performance. I have a Roland GK kit with a GI-20.. pretty old stuff, and it is not totally reliable. You have to play very deliberately and it does not do legato/bends reliably. You have to hit notes pretty hard to get them to come through reliably. Newer hardware is probably more reliable. I would be willing to bet that Aethernaut uses a violin with MIDI hardware built-in.

The second option is trying to use software to convert audio to MIDI. This also suffers from reliability issues, though honestly I haven't tried any software for this in at least 8 years.. it might have come a long way since then.
If you're going for something that will work in real-time, LSDJ probably isn't your best option as you'll have no control over dynamics... it won't matter if you play notes louder or quieter, they'll all come out of the GB at the same volume. mGB would probably be more reliable but lacks in some sound options.
Either way you'll need an Arduinoboy to get the MIDI into the Game Boy.

IL, US
toasterpastries wrote:

Two options: a guitar with MIDI output, or converting the guitar audio to MIDI

The first option is a guitar with a MIDI pickup. This is usually expensive and varies in performance. I have a Roland GK kit with a GI-20.. pretty old stuff, and it is not totally reliable. You have to play very deliberately and it does not do legato/bends reliably. You have to hit notes pretty hard to get them to come through reliably. Newer hardware is probably more reliable. I would be willing to bet that Aethernaut uses a violin with MIDI hardware built-in.

The second option is trying to use software to convert audio to MIDI. This also suffers from reliability issues, though honestly I haven't tried any software for this in at least 8 years.. it might have come a long way since then.
If you're going for something that will work in real-time, LSDJ probably isn't your best option as you'll have no control over dynamics... it won't matter if you play notes louder or quieter, they'll all come out of the GB at the same volume. mGB would probably be more reliable but lacks in some sound options.
Either way you'll need an Arduinoboy to get the MIDI into the Game Boy.

unless they added it in lsdj since i stopped caring about lsdj, lsdj can't translate midi note input to notes out of lsdj. pretty sure for game boy it'd have to be mGB or pushpin (and mGB is the btter option of the two)

Last edited by Analylogiq (Jan 13, 2018 4:56 pm)

I've heard that arduinoboy converts midi signal to emulate ps2 lsdj keyboard

so you could use lsdj but no dynamics

you have some nice pedals too like the arcadiator ...

someone should developp a rom that converts audio signal to pitch enveloppe and trig sounds from the gb ..... that vould be a dream

Last edited by Analylogiq (Jan 13, 2018 4:55 pm)

IL, US

i thought lsdj keyboard mode didn't do notes though, more stuff like channel mutes.. never messed with it because, well, mGB exists & i prefer nanoloop for non-midi game boy stuff & LGPT over all game boy stuff (though LGPT controlling mGB is a pretty sweet combo).. well even if it does, mGB is the better choice because it supports volume control over midi