Liverpool, UK

Hyperkin says the final design is still in flux, but it plans to sell the Ultra Game Boy for under $100 when it launches later this year.

Sounds like Jose's hilarious dual screen monster badboy

Sweeeeeeden
e.s.c. wrote:

in what sense? aluminum has been used for everything from business card cases to briefcases to cameras. no reason a game console NEEDS to be plastic, and aluminum has the bonus of helping dissipate heat

Aluminium is heavier than plastic, assuming the same structure. The heat dissipation advantage really only holds true if the heat-producing components are thermally bonded with the case. A Gameboy shouldn't need the extra heat sinking anyway. Also, as I've repeated everywhere I've had the opportunity, I'm 95% sure that's not actually aluminium, but regular ABS plastic with a silver finish. Think the original Nintendo DS's silver finish as an example, and of course any number of random products. Maybe I will have to eat my words when the thing comes out, though...

Milwaukee, WI

1) Screw that ugly branding.
2) Y'all are acting like you don't have a way to use LSDJ on a Game Boy.
3) If they really want to appeal to chip artists, how about MIDI sync built in? Clock mod?
4) Aluminum is cool, but see 1)

This just sort of seems like a half-cooked idea at best and a cash grab at worst.

Swansea, UK

Not sure i can see any reason for owning one over a DMG...

...but will totally buy one if and when it comes out tongue

New Jersey, USA

part of me wants to buy this, but would buying a prosound+backlit gameboy cost less?

Swansea, UK
Reinteck wrote:

part of me wants to buy this, but would buying a prosound+backlit gameboy cost less?

Yes.

NUMBSKULL
donotrunwithpixels wrote:
Reinteck wrote:

Yes.

You sure about that? Seems like the custom DMGs I see regularly go for 100+.

Germany

For me it looks like a gameboy light in a aluminium cas. Does anyone know if the linkort will be in it?
I find the prize much to high ...

Tucson, AZ
TSC wrote:

1) Screw that ugly branding.
2) Y'all are acting like you don't have a way to use LSDJ on a Game Boy.
3) If they really want to appeal to chip artists, how about MIDI sync built in? Clock mod?
4) Aluminum is cool, but see 1)

This just sort of seems like a half-cooked idea at best and a cash grab at worst.

This.

Germany

Thx nullsleep

London, UK
catskull wrote:

We asked Johan on the fb lsdj group and he confirmed that he's talking with them but said he's not really interested in licensing lsdj to them for inclusion.

ah.

Long Beach, CA

Hi Guys! Haven't posted in a while here (member for about 8 years or so....and keytar dude from Here Between You Me). I'm actually on the marketing team for Hyperkin. If you guys have any questions about the GB, feel free to ask. Although there isn't much right now about, as our CES prototype is definitely not our final version.

Some stuff we are planning on possibly adding:

RGB dial to change color on the fly
Dual stereo output (L/R)

I can confirm the body is aluminum.

Last edited by Terbografx (Feb 12, 2018 6:23 pm)

NUMBSKULL

Thanks for stopping by!

Can you confirm that it wasn't just a stock backlit gb pocket in an aluminum case?

Any idea what's up with the stereo output being touted as a new feature when all Game Boys have always had as stereo headphone jack? Or are you talking about two dedicated output jacks, or two built in speakers?

Can you confirm that it will have a functioning link port?

Abandoned on Fire
catskull wrote:

That's my #1 question at the moment.

Long Beach, CA
egr wrote:
catskull wrote:

That's my #1 question at the moment.

I cannot. I believe we had a visible one on the prototype, but it's still up in the air as to whether or not it will be in the final release.

Although, as an LSDJ user, I did voice to the team that 2x GB is common. Hope this helps for now.

Long Beach, CA
catskull wrote:

Thanks for stopping by!

Can you confirm that it wasn't just a stock backlit gb pocket in an aluminum case?

Any idea what's up with the stereo output being touted as a new feature when all Game Boys have always had as stereo headphone jack? Or are you talking about two dedicated output jacks, or two built in speakers?

The Ultra was definitely a prototype we made to show off at CES! Stuffing cases isn't how we roll.

I believe what we were throwing around was two dedicated jacks, but closer to release, we'll have a better picture as to what the jacks actually will be (I myself have a custom DMG with a 1/4" output and a 3.5 prosound). I do know we have a custom DMG around the office with RCA jacks I believe. Just so you know what references we have as far as what chip producers are using.

Last edited by Terbografx (Feb 12, 2018 6:38 pm)