Patchwork is a small sound sequencer that uses parts of recorded sid songs for instruments. It is mostly a proof-of-concept, just to see if this kind of player would work. Though it can be used to make grooves, small remixes or loops.

Download from CSDB
Download from pouet.net

I like how you make experimental things. Most respectable. Keep it up!

Dallas, Texas

Duuuuuude!!

vancouver, canada

this is a totally rad take on a sequencer!  will give it a whirl when i get a chance.

Nomad's Land

Damn, that's a cool concept! Big thumbs up.

Thanks.  Here's a video of some example tracks with their source material, and the liveplay mode being used.

São Paulo, Brazil
4mat wrote:

Thanks.  Here's a video of some example tracks with their source material, and the liveplay mode being used.

The GUI is absolutely insane. Specialy the "SMPL" window.

PULSELOOPER wrote:

The GUI is absolutely insane. Specialy the "SMPL" window.

Yes it does look a bit weird, what you're seeing there is what waveforms are playing on each channel: 1/2/3 and then the filter cut-off at the bottom of each vertical strip.  Each step horizontally is a frame of music, kind of like a sample display.  Whatever the vertical line is over is what's playing right now.

Poland

c64 sampler?
Congratulations on creating this toy, 4mat you're awesome.
It's on csdb, will try it later on hardware.

Last edited by k7 (Feb 22, 2018 7:28 pm)

This is beyond fantastic! I have been playing around a bit, getting used to the UI.

It's seems to run fine on a modified build of Vice somebody posted to the MIdiBox SID forums some years back, and sound playback from my SammichSID hardware synthesizer seems to be quite good, definitely useful for creating samples for production!

I created a comparison between the sound of the Vice's ReSID emulation and the stereo output from the SammichSID using the demotrack1 supplied with Patchwork, the hardware definitely sounds better.

https://soundcloud.com/haltiamieli/sets … vs-harware

The only problem is, many SID files don't load even though they are below 8kb. I don't know of a way to check in Windows, where the tune tries to load, and often Patchwork crashes after trying to load a SID that would occupy an invalid memory range. The error message is:"outside ram si"

Last edited by Taika-Kim (Feb 27, 2018 4:38 pm)

Taika-Kim wrote:

The only problem is, many SID files don't load even though they are below 8kb. I don't know of a way to check in Windows, where the tune tries to load, and often Patchwork crashes after trying to load a SID that would occupy an invalid memory range. The error message is:"outside ram si"

Thanks I'll take a listen to your soundcloud upload.  Yes SID files have to be in that $1000-$2fff range, Most sid players should have an info window that tells you the load address.  (Vice comes with VSid for example)  The other thing you can try is relocating them using SidReloc (there's a link in the readme) which can get most tracks into the correct memory space.   Patchwork will also refuse any files that are multispeed or use timing other than the standard vblank.

Last edited by 4mat (Feb 27, 2018 5:50 pm)

One thing I was wondering is, that probably very fast code does not get through correctly since its' going through a MIDI port, but in a tool like this, I'm not sure if that's important, or getting something that sounds good smile

Thank you for that info! It's around 25 years since I touched my C128 the last time so I'm getting a bit rusty on the details big_smile

Ah, yeah could be, I'm not sure how it works with other devices.  Most of a frame it's not using the SID chip, but at the end it writes to all 25 SID registers in one go.   I wrote a quick 'behind the scenes' on it which you can find here.   It has a few things about playback in there.