Glasgow, Scotland.

Hello.

When I record LSDJ 'songs', I do so a track at a time - synching each one up to my DAW's MIDI.

That's all been fine and well, but on a recent track where I was playing about with new kick drum sounds in the WAV channel (rather than NOISE, which I tend to use), I ran into a strange issue.

When I record a channel (PU1 for example), with all the others muted, I am getting a clicking sound in time with the kick drum instrument on the WAV channel - even though it's muted. I thought this was a panning issue somewhere, but it happens even when everything is set to the centre. Somehow, the WAV channel kick is bleeding over into the others.

Here's an example MP3:

https://unexpectedbowtie.files.wordpres … gclick.mp3

If I blank out the WAV channel completely (add in a blank chain), the clicking goes away. I've tried it on a couple of different Game Boys, and had the same thing.

Is this normal? I've not come across it before. Any suggestions welcome!

Sweeeeeeden

If the kick is a sample (kit) then this may be a side effect of the antispike fix I suggested that Johan should add a couple of years ago. This makes kits less noisy, and in particular makes them usable at all on GBA, which would otherwise have sounded horrible.

I suggest you record in live mode instead, which lets you literally only play one channel at a time, rather than playing all channels and soloing one channel.

Glasgow, Scotland.
nitro2k01 wrote:

If the kick is a sample (kit) then this may be a side effect of the antispike fix I suggested that Johan should add a couple of years ago. This makes kits less noisy, and in particular makes them usable at all on GBA, which would otherwise have sounded horrible.

I suggest you record in live mode instead, which lets you literally only play one channel at a time, rather than playing all channels and soloing one channel.

That's the thing - it's a WAV instrument, not a sample hmm

I would play in Live mode, but trying to remember the exact chain for each instrument makes that almost impossible. As in, currently I write the track out... and then 'solo' each channel for a take. Playing Live would mean remembering the exact structure - or building it in the DAW from loops, which I want to avoid.

Finland
unexpectedbowtie wrote:

remembering the exact structure - or building it in the DAW from loops, which I want to avoid.

put a short sound at the beginning of the song to help line them up later. big_smile just an idea if all else fails

Glasgow, Scotland.
my.Explosion wrote:
unexpectedbowtie wrote:

remembering the exact structure - or building it in the DAW from loops, which I want to avoid.

put a short sound at the beginning of the song to help line them up later. big_smile just an idea if all else fails

Thanks smile Synching isn't the issue though - I do that over MIDI. It's the noise bleed from the other channels when they are supposed to be muted that's causing hassles.

Naptown

this is curious to me. i would suggest you send a SAV to Johan, he might be able to tell you what's going on here

Sweeeeeeden
unexpectedbowtie wrote:

I would play in Live mode, but trying to remember the exact chain for each instrument makes that almost impossible. As in, currently I write the track out... and then 'solo' each channel for a take. Playing Live would mean remembering the exact structure - or building it in the DAW from loops, which I want to avoid.

I don't get what you are saying. Isn't your song just a list of chains? If so, use live mode to play it from top to bottom, once for each channel. No need to split it up into loops just because you're using live mode. Or am I missing something?

Chicago IL

paste a blank row in the top of the song, add a chain with one phrase with a short sound at the beginning to line up later to PU1, hit start. It'll only play the first channel. move it over to PU2, WAV, NOI etc

Glasgow, Scotland.
nitro2k01 wrote:
unexpectedbowtie wrote:

I don't get what you are saying. Isn't your song just a list of chains? If so, use live mode to play it from top to bottom, once for each channel. No need to split it up into loops just because you're using live mode. Or am I missing something?

I am an idiot. That makes total sense. I saw live mode and thought you meant to play Live mode 'live', as it were. In blocks. Thanks. I'll try this out smile

Glasgow, Scotland.
Saskrotch wrote:

paste a blank row in the top of the song, add a chain with one phrase with a short sound at the beginning to line up later to PU1, hit start. It'll only play the first channel. move it over to PU2, WAV, NOI etc

Thanks, but synching isn't the issue - like I mentioned above smile