Sweden

Hi, I am an artist that have not worked with chiptune at all, I do mostly experimental music with synths and samplers, basicly hardware in general but I have just ordered a 64m usb card for my gameboy and tried lsdj on an emulator while I wait for my card, my question is:

-How do YOU set up more than one song when you do live shows?

-What is the best and smoothest way for song transitions that you personally use?

-How important do you think it is with backlight on a DMG?

and

-Is it worth finding an adaptor for power while playing live?

Thank you for time, I am new to this forum so I don't really know if I have posted this on the right section but if not help me move it smile

Last edited by Toru (Mar 30, 2018 5:48 pm)

Unsubscribe

I just use one gameboy with each project ready to play in loading. I run the gameboy through fx and Load the next track while the drone ending is playing. Keeps it pretty tight!

I think some sort of light is essential. Backlights are the easiest to use system for this.

Batteries are better as it helps cut down on sources of noise live.

IL, US

welcome, hope you have fun with lsdj. to answer your questions:

- lots of people use multiple game boys so they can load up one track on the 2nd game boy while the first is still going and then beat match to transition from one to the next, but you can always also bring in other hardware and maybe have a sample playing while you transition, some ominous synth tones, radio static, really anything. hell, you can even just tell jokes or banter between tracks, whatever feels right to you for your music, the gig, & the crowd situation. on & off i personally would play back the mercury theater's original recording of war of the worlds, which was fun. i'd just fade it down during tracks and bring it back up for any gaps while i switched stuff around

- see above, though i also use lgpt more than lsdj now and have tended to write entire sets within a single save so no down time between tracks. would be harder (but not impossible) in lsdj

- not important at all. Nuby made some nice lights that slide on, i've seen people rock head-mounted lamps, & even desks lamps. as long as you can see what you're doing, the exact method isn't important

- external power supplies aren't recommended. most add a bit of noise to the output & a set of eneloop rechargeable batteries should give you more than enough juice for even the longest sets as long as you charge them before the gig. plus a set can be charged a ton of times so they can last you for thousands of hours total use time

& yep, this is the right section. good luck, and feel free to post any additional questions, work in progress for constructive criticism & releases. i'd be personally curious to hear your other stuff, always cool to hear what other people are up to musically

Sweden

Thanks for the quick response and great awnsers,

some of my music is available on spotify here: https://open.spotify.com/artist/2umqMYZXcZsKbEGVz8YKcv
and some of it is up on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoOU3i … WOM-hQf3yg

I mostly focus on liveshows though because well it's more fun right? wink And I haven't made any chiptune songs so don't expect to hear any from me until I get the cartridge heheheh

I will be sure to put more of my questions here if I something comes up, thanks a bunch smile

Glasgow, Scotland.

How do YOU set up more than one song when you do live shows?

I have two DMGs, with the same setup on each - so two LSDJ carts, with the same setlist. I queue the next song up on the Game Boy that is currently not playing, and connect the two with a small iRig mixer.

What is the best and smoothest way for song transitions that you personally use?

I used to synch the two Game Boys using a cable, and tempo match the tracks so they could smoothly transition with my mixer, but it was a lot of work and not really worth the effort. Now I just stop the track. Let people cheer/clap/throw shit, then I start the next track. Like a band would.

How important do you think it is with backlight on a DMG?

Vital. Trying to see the screen without a backlight live is a nightmare. You can get those old light magnifier things if you look about, but they're not too practical.

Is it worth finding an adaptor for power while playing live?

I personally do use USB power adaptors from Kitsch Bent live. I don't tend to notice too much extra noise, and I've had issues with AA batteries in the past, getting knocked out of place when I've fallen over or whatever.

I recently bought my second GB USB Smart Card 64M.
I have not had any problems with the first one. Works perfectly (LSDJ, games in bank 2, DMG, game boy color, game boy pocket ....)
But my second smart card, only works in game boy color. I only have LSDJ installed. I have tried installing with MottZilla's menu, ems-quart and GB USB 64M Cart Mac. All with the same result. Only works in game boy color.
Why does not my cartridge with DMG work?
Can you help me?

Alive and well in fucksville
Ismael wrote:

I recently bought my second GB USB Smart Card 64M.
I have not had any problems with the first one. Works perfectly (LSDJ, games in bank 2, DMG, game boy color, game boy pocket ....)
But my second smart card, only works in game boy color. I only have LSDJ installed. I have tried installing with MottZilla's menu, ems-quart and GB USB 64M Cart Mac. All with the same result. Only works in game boy color.
Why does not my cartridge with DMG work?
Can you help me?

What kind of computer are you using to write roms to your ems cart? what operating system?