Mabase, Kyoto

LSDJ's wav channel allows sample kits to be used, normally for drums. It's possible to store about 2 seconds worth of audio in a sample kit.
My question is - Is it feasibly possible to store chords as samples?

If a song requires complex polyphony, you could have all chords be stored as short samples that you can loop, and have melody and bass be played on the pulse channels.

London, UK

I think "yes". But they might sound a bit dull as they'll be 8 bit/11khz?..
Also you only have two seconds for the whole kit so they can't be very long chords...

Last edited by Duck (May 31, 2018 3:05 pm)

London, UK

if you haven't seen this already, it seems pretty relevant!
http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2008/1 … -lsdj.html

Mabase, Kyoto

For the length issue couldn't you cut the samples to only include the sustain section of the chord, that way the volume wouldn't change and you'd be able to perfectly loop the chord sample? If you wanted the chord to last for 4 beats you'd just paste the chord sample over and over again in the phrase. Thanks for the link, that was really helpful.
I'm gonna test it out and see how it sounds

Italy

I did get some piano chords as samples, it works even if  sounds kinda crappy but probably with instruments that have simpler waveforms it would sound nicer.

If y'all make some music with this, I want to hear it!

Melbourne

I did this, but it sounded kinda bland, and then I lost steam with LSDJ and moved to nanoloop2 which allows chords.. I've got another cart coming my way though so maybe I'll get into it again.

London, UK
Jish wrote:

For the length issue couldn't you cut the samples to only include the sustain section of the chord, that way the volume wouldn't change and you'd be able to perfectly loop the chord sample?

good point!

Am interested to hear how this goes.

London, UK

I wonder how few cycles you can get away with in fact... (can probably work it out with the magic of maths wink

Mabase, Kyoto

I'll put a demo out using the concept later today

Mabase, Kyoto

Yo so it totally works and it's pretty decent!
Here's the demo
Sadly I have exams on right now so I couldn't put as much time into it as I wanted to, but I'll definitely explore the concept again in more depth once they're over.

There's some buzz each time they're looped because I didn't sample an exact loop of the chord because I didn't think they'd fit in the Kit space
But I just realised I could have placed the chords across different kits instead of fitting them all into one, meaning they could be larger in size and length. The buzz becomes less noticeable once drums and bass are added anyway.

I would love to upload the LSDNG file but it would be useless since the Kitchords are stored on the .gb file, and uploading that would be releasing LSDJ for free online, so if you want to poke around the song, send me a message proving you paid for LSDJ and I'll DM it to you.

Unsubscribe

you could also just upload the .kits! Use EXPORT KIT from the patcher to get the exported files.

Mabase, Kyoto

Can't believe I missed that! Here it is!

London, UK

nice!

Mabase, Kyoto

I tweaked it up and now the chords are super competent! They start at 1:09

Nottingham, UK

Roboctopus sampled guitar chords in a kit on his track "The Walls Became the World". Definitely a cool idea to try.