Canada

Piggy Experimentalists!

I've just discovered Piggy can officially run on a Pi 2 with Raspbian Stretch!

Details for the Build

UPDATE:
Pi Image Now Available For 4 GB + SD Cards
(8 GB + recommended)

Some notes:

Pros:

- the best USB soundcards to use contain a CM108 chipset
- audio buffer at 128 runs smoothly
- did not need to setup xbox drivers
- no pulseaudio problems with this method (provided the alsa.conf file is edited correctly depending on your USB soundcard)
- looks beautiful even on a small screen
- basic MIDI out notation works without any noticeable latency issues (just need to test CC effects)
- can be ran on a Pi Zero

Cons

- it will take some time and patience to get this going successfully
- many times soundfonts do not playback
- still don't know if LGPT works on a Pi 3 with this method
- auto-boot from console and lxsessions has given me problems or just a completely black screen (this doesn't happen when using a Pi 1B+)
- and as usual, built-in audio sucks
- there's occassional audio clicking and bad "feedback"

Note: While this works well on a Pi 2, LGPT has been known to crash on occassion. If this is a real problem while performing live, it would be safe to run LGPT on a Pi 1 B+ with custom higher audio-buffer settings as I've had no crash issues as of 2019 with this setup. Give this a shot and let me know if there's anything else discovered or if there's other issues to note!

Last edited by Lazy_Nerd (Jan 12, 2019 2:49 pm)

IL, US

awesome. you should set this build up on a 4GB sd card and upload an img file at some point. i'm sure people both here & in the lgpt facebook group would appreciate it

france

Try this for better internal sound on the pi.
It seem to solve the big issue.

In /boot/config.txt add the following line:
audio_pwm_mode=2

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view … p;t=136445

Last edited by yoyz2k (Jun 4, 2018 3:54 pm)

Unsubscribe

That never worked for my on piggy in the past, unless something changed.

Canada
e.s.c. wrote:

awesome. you should set this build up on a 4GB sd card and upload an img file at some point. i'm sure people both here & in the lgpt facebook group would appreciate it

Haven't seen any 4 GB SD cards on sale in my hometown. I'll check with my local Pi-experimentalist group to see if they have a card I can borrow.

EDIT: Got access to a Linux computer, successfully shrunk things down, and set up a Google Drive link in the top post. *bump*

Last edited by Lazy_Nerd (Jun 7, 2018 3:30 am)

Unsubscribe

Pretty sure you can shrink any image down to 4gb, it’s just a standard to make it easy to share

IL, US
herr_prof wrote:

Pretty sure you can shrink any image down to 4gb, it’s just a standard to make it easy to share

Yep, as long as you haven't added your sample library (or it's small enough that less than 4gb of your current card is used). I just assumed you'd immediately loaded on 8+ gb of samples like i did when i set up my b+. If I'd known others would run into trouble with their b+ setups, I'd have made an img file first

Unsubscribe

For my pi setup, I made a sep fat32 partition just for piggy and its files so I could sneakernet it to the desktop pc.

Thank you! Def going to try this img!

Canada
herr_prof wrote:

For my pi setup, I made a sep fat32 partition just for piggy and its files so I could sneakernet it to the desktop pc.

Nice. I should reserve a half gig partition just for this.

litch wrote:

Thank you! Def going to try this img!

Thank you, litch!

Has anyone given this a test with a Pi 3?

Last edited by Lazy_Nerd (Jun 10, 2018 2:51 pm)

Lazy_Nerd wrote:

This thread indicated that the person got it running but the audio was distorted. Don't know if any buffer size configuration was attempted, I'm gonna give it a shot when I can find the time.
https://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/2022 … pberry-pi/

IL, US
mackemint wrote:
Lazy_Nerd wrote:

This thread indicated that the person got it running but the audio was distorted. Don't know if any buffer size configuration was attempted, I'm gonna give it a shot when I can find the time.
https://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/2022 … pberry-pi/

it also doesn't sound like they tried a usb soundcard, so that might be a factor as well

Just did a short smoketest with LGPT running on a Kites' Circuit Sword, seems to perform pretty good!
I'll do extensive testing when finishing building the kit.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnR4g4JHSHP/

Singapore

Just a tip regarding using this setup via Component instead of HDMI,

I ran into issues regarding "Segmentation Fault" and had to change the config file (Fullscreen = No) and it works fine after

Yep, thats all smile