Long Beach, CA

As seen here from a Neowin article. As Hyperkin's PR guy, I can confirm that the link port was put in for any DIY/Chip-specific devices such as USB Boys/Arduino devices. Not TOO SURE about device sync yet, so hold on for an answer regarding that. This is the build we showed off at E3.

Just wanted to update the community (that I'm proudly part of) that has shown a lot of concern over no link port in past prototype versions. They've always been in the plan, and we're in fact still developing the little guy. You're in good hands. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by Terbografx (Jun 20, 2018 10:39 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

I'm more concerned about the ugly logo and enormous brightness buttons if I'm being honest.

Last edited by TSC (Jun 21, 2018 6:13 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

Also, why in the world would you put the not-too-sure-about-device-sync port where your left hand would go?

Unsubscribe

look at johnny bragging about his huge hands

Milwaukee, WI

I know that was sarcasm, but seriously look at this:

If you're going through the trouble of redesigning the thing, at least do it right.

Abandoned on Fire

Noice! I'm significantly more interested now.

Alive and well in fucksville

This thing looks nice. I will pick one up.

Paris, France

I find it OK, not particularly interesting and not enough work is put on the details.
I completely agree with those ridiculous brightness buttons.

Why so much hate on the brightness buttons. Dont any of you guys take a backlit dmg to the beach? lcd screens behave different in natural light. I wont have to keep an unmodded dmg anymore. The variable brightness may be able to do better than a contrast wheel (imo)... OP show us how it looks at the beach! (i live on a lake... so... this is necessary)

Last edited by bitjacker (Jun 25, 2018 7:11 pm)

Unsubscribe

Why would I ever go outside wink

I just care how it sounds, and wether or not I can see the screen in a pitch black dive when im half blacked out on pills

Milwaukee, WI
bitjacker wrote:

Why so much hate on the brightness buttons. Dont any of you guys take a backlit dmg to the beach? lcd screens behave different in natural light. I wont have to keep an unmodded dmg anymore. The variable brightness may be able to do better than a contrast wheel (imo)... OP show us how it looks at the beach! (i live on a lake... so... this is necessary)

There are a few things to unpack with this redesign. Clearly I have no issue with adjusting brightness, but when your controls to do so are as enormous as those are it makes me question the entire fucking motive behind this.

- This is a new GB aimed toward the chip scene...whatever that even means in 2018. Why are we not hearing about built-in MIDI & USB sync *as a minimum*? Clearly space isn't an issue if we can make a brightness adjustment control take up 20% of the left side.

- You're going through the process of completely remaking this thing, why not throw the link port elsewhere? Top? Back? Bottom? Nope. Let's put it where your fucking left hand goes. The last thing you want to bump during a performance is the port responsible for sync. Just design built-in sync and throw the port near the audio ports on the bottom.

- Is it a link port or USB-C port? I'm reading conflicting information on this. If USB-C, why only have it for charging?

- If it includes LSDJ software, does this mean the device will have built-in storage?

- We haven't heard what this thing sounds like, but it's already being marketed as a chip device. Does this have sound similar to that of a pro sound modded DMG? I'm reading there's a new built-in amp with dual outputs, which is fine, but if the amp is for the built-in speaker,  who fucking cares?

- Built in speaker is stereo, but I'm only seeing one grill.

- I'm reading about the RGB backlight, which again is fine, but a huge red flag if I know more about this than how it sounds, especially when it's geared toward music production.

- Aluminum case is cool, but seriously fuck that logo. Throw the branding on the back if you have to include it, that way, you know, other people can see it.

Hyperkin's Retron consoles were fucking garbage in my not-so-humble opinion, so I don't have a ton of faith in this project. A lot of the chip music appeal is how economical it is. It's low-cost and low-waste. I can't say this is either of those. It's misguided and a half-cooked cash grab. Having said that, I would love to be proven wrong. Please, prove me wrong.

CT, USA

TSC already covered alot of this but I spent a while writing it last night before passing out so heres what i wanna know anyway.

I'm glad the link port is there albeit in a pretty bad location, but no sync would be huge. And so much focus on the brightness buttons when that knob has its own area code wink

A few questions I'd like answered, if possible:
  1. Do you have photos of anything running on this? I was shocked by no photos of it powered on as that's unusual for hyperkin

2. Any idea on charge time?

3. My god that screen, please no. Tell me you can center the image, or will it be stuck stretched like my 1st gen supaboy? I know square LCD's may not be in great supply but ideally the final revision would physically cover the black bars from view. Nobody liked that on the original supaboy either. You didnt hear the end of it on every post containing it, yet somehow here we are again.

4. The back-light. Assuming that unsightly giant dial is for volume as its the only dial visible in Neowin's photos, and a "blue backlight" feature is listed in the display case, was the RGB backlight ditched? Otherwise, if thats the "RGB dial" mentioned in the prior thread its pretty needlessly huge and detracts from the look.

5. Sound accuracy. You're aiming this at a group where some are picky about even the CPU revisions of the same model of Gameboy. How is sound accuracy being ensured and what model is it most comparable to? How clean is the output compared to a prosound mod system?

6. Is the inclusion of LSDJ built in and an SD slot (not seen) to export songs still planned?

7. Not a question but oh god please do something about that logo and hideous knob

I've been really excited about this since seeing the first prototype but I'm starting to feel like you may as well have just sold the metal shell that hyperkin pretty clearly just tossed a teal-backlit GBP into for the last prototype. Hell I'd still buy the hell out of that.

This is slowly looking more like what I'd expect after my first gen supaboy and the absolutely painful to use smartboy. After buying that "devkit" then seeing nothing but a change to USB-C in the final product, I'm not sure why I had such high hopes for this now.

You can tell some at hyperkin want this done right while someone in a suit wants to ride the wave of January's free press from the backlit GBP before it dies down.

It pains me to speak negatively about this thing as I have such high hopes for it, but these things need to be done right, or its just another clone system.
I hope that this chunky device is just a prototype and we see design fall more back in line with what we were previously shown and told about. Right now for me, this is a no-buy.

IL, US
EdTheNerd wrote:

I'm starting to feel like you may as well have just sold the metal shell that hyperkin pretty clearly just tossed a teal-backlit GBP into for the last prototype. Hell I'd still buy the hell out of that.

someone could do pretty well just making metal enclosures for the various models, tbh. a lot of people suggest aluminum, but stainless steel generally holds up better over time (plus some people like me have weirdly acidic skin oils which corrode aluminum quickly if handled - found that out when i bought an aluminum lighter that i liked to fidget with)

Long Beach, CA

Let me work on getting some of those questions answered by our dev team!  But I completely appreciate the feedback. We definitely do want to get it right with both retrogamers and chip composers. I sure as hell would love to be able to perform with something the company I work for has put hard work into.

Milwaukee, WI
Terbografx wrote:

retrogamers and

Red flag

the fact that there is onboard memory does make it smell like another emulation box.