Hello Chip Music!

Could I please get some help with altering my TeenseyBoy Pro such that it reads MIDI channel 1 as the command for mGB Poly mode, instead of the default MIDI channel 5?

I just got a TeensyBoy Pro from Catskull Electronics and it's working swell! However, because I'm using a RockBand Keytar to do this, I'm locked into MIDI channel 1. I've gotten the Arduinoboy Editor running in Max Runtime 6. However, neither USB or my USB to MIDI adapter lets the editor find my board.

Does anyone have a recommended USB to MIDI cable/adapter?
Or can anyone point me to how I can edit the Arduinoboy .ini files to make this change and download it to my Teensyboy Pro?

Thanks a lot!

*Edit: Figured out I was downloading the github webpage for the editor file, not the the actual editor file code!
-USB to MIDI cable I tried  (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JL … &psc=1)
It seems broken, since I've proved everything else in my setup.

Last edited by Inferno505 (Aug 26, 2018 11:56 am)

Unsubscribe

Sometimes those el cheapo midi interfaces block sysex, which means the editor doesnt work. Did you connect both the in and outs of the ports correctly?Is the arduionoboy powered by the gameboy

NUMBSKULL

The cheap USB midi cables are great but won't work for most sysex stuff. Here's more information: http://www.frank-buss.de/midi/

I would expect the usb midi to work though, but I can honestly say I don't think I've tried it on the teensyboy pro and I don't know that I've even successfully used the editor. I'm downloading the max runtime though right now so hopefully I can verify all this very soon.

NUMBSKULL

Confirmed USB on the teensy won't work. I'll post a revision of the code that you can upload to your teensyboy. You can message me on Facebook for instructions on flashing it.

I'd HIGHLY recommend investing in some other kind of midi keyboard in the future. Rockband keytaurs aren't bad at all, but if you want to do this with any kind of regularity a more full featured keyboard will be nice!

NUMBSKULL

Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if I should just move the default poly channel to midi channel 1. Kinda makes sense for the rockband people (it's super common and cheap) and for everyone else it's not like it's a big deal.

NUMBSKULL

Here's the code. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tg0iG … NQIzsq9b35

Flash the memclear one first, then flash the arduionboy one.

Unsubscribe

I’d find it hard to believe there are that many rock band people out there, but it’s also the default channel behavior for ableton live.

Thanks a lot herr_prof for the adapter explanation and catskull for the reference link and altered code!
After relearning and newly learning a bundle about MIDI and Arduino, I've got this code installed and running!

-Installed Teenseyduino
-Set board to Teensy LC and USB Type to MIDI
-Cleared EEPROM with the first sketch and installed the Arduinoboy with altered mGB channel with the second sketch

I agree profusely on getting more fanciful equipment as I go, I'm glad this gives me a good base to learn off of for a start.

Last, for changing the mGB channel options again in the future, this was the line you changed right catskull?

1, 2, 3, 4, 0, //mGB midi channels (0-15 = 1-16) 
NUMBSKULL

Yep! I realized too the clear eeprom thing is unnecessary. There's a flag in that file where you can say always use the defaults, not eeprom.