Hi all. I am new in this chiptune world and I am trying to create a rig with 3 Gameboy's and one Arduinoboy/Teensyboy to use it in live performances with keyboards, v-drum, guitar and bass (using G2M). But I can't choose the MIDI channels of an already flashed stock mGB ROM (1-5 channels). I saw that @nitro2k01 made a a modified version of mGB with 6-10 and 11-15 channels, but it is impossible to find online: http://blog.gg8.se/wordpress/2009/09/16 … l-support/

Does anyone have these files?

Or does anyone have a patch, fork or, simply, code lines to modify from @trash80 mGB Github code with the necessary MIDI channel changes? I would like to do a forked version with selectable MIDI channels.

Also, one more question. Does stock version of Arduinoboy/Teensyboy allow sending MIDI inputs in mGB mode out of 1-5 channels? Or do I have to modify the Arduinoboy code also and flash it?

I know that people did exactly this setup because there are videos (from @jazzmarazz) of it, with a @low-gain modded DMG-07 (I expect to do it with @rebb's synccross) but there is no explanation of how they did it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeU0BQKhXqs

Thanks in advance!

IL, US

i have them, can reupload to my website sometime this week.. the host i use now requires me to have every file on the server linked to a webpage or i'd do it right now, just not feeling like throwing anything together in dreamweaver at the moment.. guess i'll build it as a page for all the obscure roms or software i like to use (linking to orig site when possible) for audio & visual stuff

Oh! Perfect! In case that uploading to your host is too complicated, you could try Mega.nz, Dropbox or Google Drive. I will make mirrors there anyway when I finish RI the code changes to avoid breaking the GPL3 license, so we can attach it to the 'bundle'.

IL, US

i don't use any of those and have zero plans to. the reason i said reupload was because i've uploaded it for people numerous times in the past, so having it on my host's server makes sense in the long run, it's only just not there already because they decided that since some of my files weren't linked on pages they host it made sense to delete my entire website recently, so i've just been getting to re-adding things as i can get to it or if it comes up (i need to get to the sample packs soon too)

Geneva, NY
Lesbinary wrote:

Hi all. I am new in this chiptune world and I am trying to create a rig with 3 Gameboy's and one Arduinoboy/Teensyboy to use it in live performances with keyboards, v-drum, guitar and bass (using G2M).

Slightly OT and I'm gonna sound like a mega cranky naysayer, but you don't want to do this. It will not work well, you will spend more time and energy doing R&D and troubleshooting than making actual music and you will eventually end up scrapping this idea. I know because I tried this for years, got maybe 3 songs completed in that time and was ultimately saved by the release of Plogue's Chipsounds VSTi. Hit me up in PM for all the horrible details and several years' worth of wisdom on this exact setup.

Here's a nice example of our R&D hell, in this episode, controlling mGB with a bass:

IL, US

^ this is sort of why nitro pulled the roms off his site. too many people ran into issues getting it to work with multiple copies at once via arduinoboy... they are still handy though if you have gear which doesn't allow you to change MIDI channels.. i had a synth that was locked to channel 1, so i've used the 11-15 version of the rom for almost everything.. honestly can't even remember if i ever got around to testing 3 copies using the nanoloop usb midi adapter, mostly because it would have been only a test, if i want to use more than 1 game boy for music at a time, i prefer syncing multiple copies of nanoloop personally (like the track i made using 6 game boys)

e.s.c. wrote:

^ this is sort of why nitro pulled the roms off his site. too many people ran into issues getting it to work with multiple copies at once via arduinoboy... they are still handy though if you have gear which doesn't allow you to change MIDI channels.. i had a synth that was locked to channel 1, so i've used the 11-15 version of the rom for almost everything.. honestly can't even remember if i ever got around to testing 3 copies using the nanoloop usb midi adapter, mostly because it would have been only a test, if i want to use more than 1 game boy for music at a time, i prefer syncing multiple copies of nanoloop personally (like the track i made using 6 game boys)

You are talking about three topics here. I don't really know the situation about the nitro2k01 ROMs stability or take-down reason but it is weird that he deleted those files only because "people ran into issues". Also, I expect to use near 12 MIDI channels with live instruments, so there is no option of using only one Game Boy or syncing tracks because there are no LSDJ/Nanoloop/DAW music tracks, only realtime MIDI signals.

And just for the record. I expect to spend time improving, trying-to-fix and making mGB 'live performance reliable', as it seems the best one for DMG Game Boy (compared with modded Pushpin). Because I really want to use real chiptune hardware in live concerts. Especially when nearly all the tools we need for this set are open-sourced, as mGB and Arduinoboy. That's why I want to catch up with all the available information of the already available compiled/used/modded tools. And I thank you for all the info you are all showing here.