NUMBSKULL

Just wanted to post here publicly about the RS-97 handheld. It uses the same shell as the Revo K101 GBA clone console, but it is NOT a Revo K101! Here's a few nice features:

OpenDingux compatibility
nice bright high resolution screen (320x480)
plenty of buttons for emulators
rca tv out (can be spotty with some apps)
headphone jack with stereo output
charging via mini usb
internal and external SD micro SD card support (up to 32gb)
emulators for basically every console (I played through warioware GBA and had no issues)
you can actually buy them and they're only $50 (biggest feature IMO)

Initially the distributed lgpt dingoo binary did not work due to the RS-97 having twice the vertical resolution as the dingoo, so the screen was super squished. I'm happy to report I've worked with some of the awesome RS-97 community to add LGPT support. As of now as far as I can tell everything works (the 10k demo song plays totally fine).

The one disappointment is that we have not been able to get MIDI working. The RS-97 includes the GBA link port from the K101, but it's not functional. I modded my console to re-wire a UART to the link port and then connected a USB to Serial adapter on the other end. I can succsessfully get serial debug data out of the console, but as soon as you activate the serial port in LGPT it dies. I can't imagine that it's going to be a ton of work to get it working fully, but it will require a hardware mod and a special gba-midi cable or adapter (pretty trivial to make).

I have purchased two from eBay and they are different hardware revisions but both work fine with LGPT.

Here's some useful links:

Firmware: https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-j … ision-2-1/

Pictures:

NUMBSKULL

Here's a really bad tutorial on how to mod yours with the serial out:

Take it apart. Remove the LCD. You need to solder to some pads behind the screen.

File a little notch out of the lcd frame for the wires to go:

Cut the traces going to the link port with an exacto knife (I'm not sure why they're there or where they go)

Solder the wires and cover with some tape (I can't remember which pads go to what but I'm pretty sure they're labelled RX/TX on the PCB):

You'll need three wires: RX, TX, and GND. Optionally we could route 3.3v out the link port as well:

Here's my USB to serial adapter thing, I used a link port breakout board I made and just wired it up:

I'll try to remember more stuff but just trying to dump this info for now!

Abandoned on Fire

Nice! I'm glad to see you got this going and a midi mod would be killer at this price big_smile

Geneva, NY

Wowza! Definitely wanna grab one of these!

São Paulo, Brazil

I'm kinda confused here. Does the serial GB link works with piggy? Does that mean you can sync it with nanoloop? Has my dream come true?

Solar System

Amazing.Can you test MilkyTracker,GooPlayer,GmuMusic player???Looks like cool handheld for DJing...

NUMBSKULL

Here is the source for the modified lgpt: https://github.com/gameblabla/LittleGPTracker

You can view the latest commit to see the changes he made to get it working. If anyone is familiar with the code and can help debug why midi doesn't work, that would be awesome!

IL, US

i'm not sure anyone really understands how the MIDI stuff works in the code lol

NUMBSKULL
Matej wrote:

Amazing.Can you test MilkyTracker,GooPlayer,GmuMusic player???Looks like cool handheld for DJing...

MilkyTracker doesn't work.

GooPlayer isn't for open dingux?

GmuMusic doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure these could be made to work if there's enough interest.

NUMBSKULL
PULSELOOPER wrote:

I'm kinda confused here. Does the serial GB link works with piggy? Does that mean you can sync it with nanoloop? Has my dream come true?

No, it's not a gameboy link port. Well it is physically the same port, but the protocol is totally different. What I've done is wire it up to an internal UART (serial port), aka RS-232 standard PC serial (which just so happens to be what MIDI uses). So if it were possible to send midi out of this device, the only hope of syncing to nanoloop would be through an arduinoboy or something.

NUMBSKULL
e.s.c. wrote:

i'm not sure anyone really understands how the MIDI stuff works in the code lol

Yeah, it's too bad. The code is very well "engineered", abstracted away so portability is easier, but it's so abstracted I can't figure out WTF is going on. Granted I'm no C developer!

NUMBSKULL

FYI they are available on amazon with Prime shipping: http://a.co/d/cIh2VE2

Does LGPT need to be compiled for this, or is there a downloadable binary?

NUMBSKULL

It's included in the firmware I linked in the first post.

Ok. Even more interested now. I miss having the A320 for LGPT; looks like a good replacement.

Unsubscribe

dang that amazon link went down $10