TL;DR: I published my (free) dissertation on implications of music-related practices discussed within chipmusic.org, and I wanted to thank you all for the amazing discussions! Here's a link to my website with the document (everything on my site is free).

Over the past couple of years I have been working on my dissertation, which explores potential implications of the music-related practices discussed within chipmusic.org. Because the data within this study was considered by my IRB as archival data, I was not able to reach out to members of the community to discuss/verify findings. However, now that the study is freely published, I wanted to finally reach out to the community to say thank you to everyone. So, thank you, everyone, for publicly engaging in discussions that demonstrate an awe-inspiring depth of knowledge on a topic that I wish more people knew about.

Although I learned a lot about chiptunes by simply reading through your discussion forum posts (which are often highly entertaining and informative), there's still a lot for me to learn about chiptune-related practices and the chipscene. In addition to saying thank you, I would like to express an interest in potentially doing follow-up studies where I interview chipmusicians across the chipscene to better understand potential implications for the field of education (broadly speaking). If that sounds interesting to you, please feel free to let me know.

Again, thank you, everyone!
Jared O'Leary

PS Neil Baldiwn, you should have named it PNES. Please ask your wife to reconsider wink

Brittany

Wooah that's great! Thanks for sharing your work. I've downloaded it and i'll read it really soon.

Gala wrote:

Wooah that's great! Thanks for sharing your work. I've downloaded it and i'll read it really soon.

Thank you very much! Let me know what you think. There's so much more for me to continue to learn about and explore, so I'm happy to hear about what members of CM.O and other chipmusicians think about the findings.

Brittany

I read it today. It's really a great job you've done here. I think it is a good portrait of the CMO community and I've learn a lot of little things in your dissertation. I'm pretty sure there is more thing to explore and analyse, such as the "music" for example.

I really like this kind of paper, and I'd be happy if you continue to produce this kind of work! If I can help you for anything, tell me! (I'm not very active on the forum but if you PM me I should be able to see it)

Thanks a lot for sharing your work! (and merry christmas!)

Last edited by Gala (Dec 25, 2018 1:14 am)

IL, US

I'll have to read later. Open to answering any questions you may have, i rarely go more than a day between logging in since I'm part of the small staff here & lots of the others aren't really active on the site anymore.

Gala wrote:

I read it today. It's really a great job you've done here. I think it is a good portrait of the CMO community and I've learn a lot of little things in your dissertation. I'm pretty sure there is more thing to explore and analyse, such as the "music" for example.

I really like this kind of paper, and I'd be happy if you continue to produce this kind of work! If I can help you for anything, tell me! (I'm not very active on the forum but if you PM me I should be able to see it)

Thanks a lot for sharing your work! (and merry christmas!)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read it and for the kind words!

I completely agree that the paper didn't spend much time exploring the music itself. Part of the rationale for focusing on the practices discussed rather than the music itself had to do with the nature of the degree (music education rather than musicology or music theory). However, I hope more ludomusicologists take a look at the music itself in follow-up studies (Karen Collins has some scholarship on this if you're interested in it)!

I really appreciate the offer and will definitely reach out to learn more once I begin the next phase of further learning.

Merry Christmas to you too!

e.s.c. wrote:

I'll have to read later. Open to answering any questions you may have, i rarely go more than a day between logging in since I'm part of the small staff here & lots of the others aren't really active on the site anymore.

Thank you so much for volunteering to chat down the road. I really do appreciate it and will take you up on that offer! Yeah, it was interesting reading posts from people who were very involved years ago and are no longer posting. I know some mentioned new phases in life getting in the way of posting (e.g., having kids, getting married, starting new jobs, etc.), but I'm curious what happened to the members who were posting a lot and just appeared to stop.

IL, US
OCPDMusic wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

Thank you so much for volunteering to chat down the road. I really do appreciate it and will take you up on that offer! Yeah, it was interesting reading posts from people who were very involved years ago and are no longer posting. I know some mentioned new phases in life getting in the way of posting (e.g., having kids, getting married, starting new jobs, etc.), but I'm curious what happened to the members who were posting a lot and just appeared to stop.

I can help fill you in, i know most of the people who used to post regularly to some degree or another. Don't know the "why" for all of them, but some have told me

Brittany
OCPDMusic wrote:

I completely agree that the paper didn't spend much time exploring the music itself. Part of the rationale for focusing on the practices discussed rather than the music itself had to do with the nature of the degree (music education rather than musicology or music theory). However, I hope more ludomusicologists take a look at the music itself in follow-up studies (Karen Collins has some scholarship on this if you're interested in it)!

Oh, sorry I wrote my post too quickly and it wasn't really clear. I was not talking about a musicology study. I was talking about the "music section" of this website/forum and the comments. It's not the most active part of this community but it may be interesting (I don't really know if it really is).

(english is not my first language, I can read english without problem but writing it is quite a pain for me. I hope my message is more understandable)

Last edited by Gala (Dec 25, 2018 11:46 pm)

e.s.c. wrote:

I can help fill you in, i know most of the people who used to post regularly to some degree or another. Don't know the "why" for all of them, but some have told me

That would be awesome! Thank you so much!

Gala wrote:

Oh, sorry I wrote my post too quickly and it wasn't really clear. I was not talking about a musicology study. I was talking about the "music section" of this website/forum and the comments. It's not the most active part of this community but it may be interesting (I don't really know if it really is).

(english is not my first language, I can read english without problem but writing it is quite a pain for me. I hope my message is more understandable)

No need to apologize, I think I just made the wrong assumption. That's a good point about the comments in the music section. I did skim through them when I was working on the proposal for the study, but noticed they tended to focus on praise/CC rather than discussing practices (however, that in and of itself is a practice also discussed in the "Releases" and "CC" subforums).

BTW your English is great! I'm in the early stages of learning Japanese, so I hope to one day be bilingual now that I have more time to work on it.