Heyy,
I’m currently using LSDJ 6.8.2 on Gameboy Colour and have Nanoloop 2 on Gameboy Advance. I’ve Been trying to sync them and noticed this version of LSDJ doesn’t have the NANO sync option! Does any one have any advice on how I can sync these as I can’t find anything online!
Thanks, av! x

The easiest way nowadays is to use an analog source and slave both lsdj and nanoloop to it. I have read some lsdj versions having "lsdj analog out" but Ive never messed with, but that would be great if nanoloop could sync to it without an adapter or modding a link cable. I doubt it though.

shitbird wrote:

The easiest way nowadays is to use an analog source and slave both lsdj and nanoloop to it. I have read some lsdj versions having "lsdj analog out" but Ive never messed with, but that would be great if nanoloop could sync to it without an adapter or modding a link cable. I doubt it though.

Thanks for the response, do you have any details on how using an analog source would work, or what I could use as an analog source? After looking around I think the best bet (That's affordable) is Korgs Monotron Duo. I have a pair of sync connectors for the Gameboys, a headphone splitter, and plenty of 3.5mm jack cables, do you think that would work?

Thanks again! x

Bratislava, Slovakia

I also want to sync my two Gameboys DMG-01, on first is old LSDj 4.4.0 (i never upgraded since purchase from Johan because it works good) and on second is nanoloop mono, in LSDj is sync option off/slave/master/midi/nano/keybd so maybe i will buy on ebay original Nintendo DMG-04 link cable and i will see if that works.

Shitbird you probably mean method like was used in Teenage engineering Pocket operators; when is devices cascaded via ordinary 3,5” stereo jack sync tick is sent by left side, so output is at the end mono signal.

Last edited by martin_demsky (Jan 2, 2019 10:50 pm)

Right, like using a volca sample for example  analog out as source with a modified link cable.
I DID get my hands on a newer version of lsdj and was able to sync it with nanoloop 2.8 and a nanoloop mono at the same time with a regular  4 way link cable using lsdj analog out....just now; my friend happen to leave his gameboy at my house lol

Last edited by shitbird (Jan 3, 2019 6:36 pm)

Bratislava, Slovakia

In my case it is a little problem, because a lot of my lsdj tunes use stereo panning with arpeggios, because i simply love them, and i dont think that lsdj or nanoloop mono have some intelligent algorithm like have teenage enginnering pocket machines, and when machines detect that are cascaded then create output to mono right side. so rest of my programming can be lost.

on nanoloop mono site is not mentioned nintendo link cable, so i dont know if it works, because lsdj is more tracker and nanoloop more like fruity loops drummachines, but probably it can "think" of new sequence like know teenage pockets, and on next cycle of slave machine sequence will synchronize.

otherwise i will start to practice sync manually with purrfect start button smile

Last edited by martin_demsky (Jan 4, 2019 8:36 am)

Melbourne
martin_demsky wrote:

on nanoloop mono site is not mentioned nintendo link cable, so i dont know if it works

It works. I played a live set with Octatrack as MIDI master -> volca kick -> nanoloop mono a couple of years ago, using the sync out on the volca to drive mono using the link port.

Melbourne
NauseaWave wrote:

I think the best bet (That's affordable) is Korgs Monotron Duo. I have a pair of sync connectors for the Gameboys, a headphone splitter, and plenty of 3.5mm jack cables, do you think that would work?

You'll need something with an analog sync pulse output. The monotron duo doesn't have any form of clocking (not even an LFO like on the original), so unless you just use a square wave with no filter and mod it so it runs super slow, you likely won't get a sync pulse out of it.

Bratislava, Slovakia
pselodux wrote:
martin_demsky wrote:

on nanoloop mono site is not mentioned nintendo link cable, so i dont know if it works

It works. I played a live set with Octatrack as MIDI master -> volca kick -> nanoloop mono a couple of years ago, using the sync out on the volca to drive mono using the link port.

Can you please describe how it works? You have MIDI trigger which just sends note on/off to volca kick, from volca kick is going sync out (3.5mm monaural mini jack, Output level: 5V) to nanoloop mono, how? I just want to make sure that when i link two Gameboys with DMG-04 cable, LSDj as master send something like 4/4 |,,,|,,,|,,,|,,,, signals to nanoloop mono and when i start sequence in the middle of LSDj pattern, then at next pattern nanoloop mono starts. smile

Last edited by martin_demsky (Jan 4, 2019 8:47 am)

Melbourne

Octatrack sending MIDI sync to volca only, no note information.. but that's not important, as the volca sends a sync pulse to the SYNC OUT regardless of whether it's being clocked internally or externally.

I used a cable with a 3.5mm plug on one end and a DMG link cable plug on the other, that I made according to the specifications on the nanoloop site. The volca was set to send 16th note pulses. I'm not sure if it's 5v, but it's definitely enough to drive nanoloop's sync. Nanoloop was set to analog sync slave mode (mode "c").

You should be able to use the ANALOG OUT mode on LSDJ and the SLAVE "c" mode in nanoloop, and it should sync, using a link cable between the two gameboys. Keep in mind that even though it says "analog out" it actually means that it's going through the link port, and not the 3.5mm output. I think you were a little off track earlier in the thread and nobody noticed.

I don't think it'll work in the way you describe though; nanoloop will start as soon as LSDJ does. It's sometimes tricky to get nanoloop to actually stop/start at the beginning of a bar, as its sequencer runs constantly when not in slave mode. In that case I recommend actually having nanoloop as the sync master (with both still using analog sync mode) and then starting LSDJ in time with the next bar in nanoloop. Neither way is ideal, but it's chiptunes after all tongue

Last edited by pselodux (Jan 4, 2019 1:44 pm)

Bratislava, Slovakia

Wow that's cool info, thanks man smile

pselodux wrote:

You should be able to use the ANALOG OUT mode on LSDJ and the SLAVE "c" mode in nanoloop, and it should sync, using a link cable between the two gameboys. Keep in mind that even though it says "analog out" it actually means that it's going through the link port, and not the 3.5mm output. I think you were a little off track earlier in the thread and nobody noticed.

Thanks for all the help on this, however, when I go to slave Nanoloop I only see options "a" and "m". Following the manual, I just went to the ">>" button, pushed A + B to 'prepare slave', then hit B + Select, but it just cycles through "a" and "m", I'm not seeing the "c" mode. I'm using Nanoloop 2.8.2, so I think it should have that option, any help would be appreciated!

Melbourne

I'm pretty sure it'll work with the "a" mode.