So, I uploaded my first Chiptune song a couple of days ago. My approach to Chiptune music is a little different, so let me explain first. I draw my inspiration from modern day Techno, so I approach my music with a little more punch and harder basslines. I produce using a DAW and I tweak my sounds a lot through plugins, though all sounds are original 8 and 16-bit console sounds. 

Anyways, I would really like if someone could give me some feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtDddU2NoCY

It's also my first post on this board. Hi everybody! smile

Philadelphia

Definitely very techo! I don't know a whole lot of artists from the genre but I've listened to a lot of Crystal Method, Juno Reactor and Deadmau5 and this has a good bit of those wrapped up in the sound for using basic sound generation. Which consoles did you use for this? I've dabbled with NES, GB and have used SNES and Megadrive soundfonts a lot to accompany 16-it style animations.

As far as feedback, anything I would offer is a matter of personal preference. You have a very specific sound here that wouldn't warrant any glitching or crazy use of common chip features - I'm the same way in the sense that I'm more of a composer/arranger than a chip-artist. I use some creative techniques when the limited channels or lack of polyphony warrant it but overall, I focus on the notes and adding depth through pitch bends and volume changes.

I guess if I could offer anything it would be to do more fine tuning and 'grunt work' on those types of parameters but as techo is a repetitious genre by nature, I'm not sure the track would benefit at all. Honestly, if you didn't mention it, I wouldn't hear this and think "this is a chiptune" which is good if it's intended but, for the purists out there, may be too far from the core principles of chiptunes to appease them.

Good job on your first track! Looking forward to hearing more stuff. I would love to hear a Juno Reactor or Crystal Method cover from you that doesn't stray as far from the more blippy, bleepy and bloopy qualities but hey, keep doing what you want, that's the best part about being an artist!

Doctor Octoroc wrote:

Definitely very techo! I don't know a whole lot of artists from the genre but I've listened to a lot of Crystal Method, Juno Reactor and Deadmau5 and this has a good bit of those wrapped up in the sound for using basic sound generation. Which consoles did you use for this? I've dabbled with NES, GB and have used SNES and Megadrive soundfonts a lot to accompany 16-it style animations.

As far as feedback, anything I would offer is a matter of personal preference. You have a very specific sound here that wouldn't warrant any glitching or crazy use of common chip features - I'm the same way in the sense that I'm more of a composer/arranger than a chip-artist. I use some creative techniques when the limited channels or lack of polyphony warrant it but overall, I focus on the notes and adding depth through pitch bends and volume changes.

I guess if I could offer anything it would be to do more fine tuning and 'grunt work' on those types of parameters but as techo is a repetitious genre by nature, I'm not sure the track would benefit at all. Honestly, if you didn't mention it, I wouldn't hear this and think "this is a chiptune" which is good if it's intended but, for the purists out there, may be too far from the core principles of chiptunes to appease them.

Good job on your first track! Looking forward to hearing more stuff. I would love to hear a Juno Reactor or Crystal Method cover from you that doesn't stray as far from the more blippy, bleepy and bloopy qualities but hey, keep doing what you want, that's the best part about being an artist!

Wow! Thank you very much! I really appreciate your critique. And I share you point of view: I wouldn't consider myself a "chip-artist" either, I just like these old school sounds and to work with them. As far as consoles goes, I've used NES and C64 Sounds. The SID Chip from the C64 offers a little more in terms of sound differences. You're not as restricted as using only the NES sounds for example. And as far as covers goes, I've never made a cover but I will definitely look into making one. Seems like a nice little side-project smile.

Anyways. Thanks a lot for your kind words. I'm already working on a new track, so stay tuned smile.

Philadelphia

Awesome, looking forward to hearing it! I've only worked with the NES extensively and I love finding ways to work around the limitations but I've also used the sounds in more complex tracks. I used to compose a lot of techno-sounding tracks when I first got into using DAW's like FL Studio - mainly using samples from others along with FL plugins. I have a large library of poorly sampled but excellently composed tracks on my HD lol.

Doctor Octoroc wrote:

Awesome, looking forward to hearing it! I've only worked with the NES extensively and I love finding ways to work around the limitations but I've also used the sounds in more complex tracks. I used to compose a lot of techno-sounding tracks when I first got into using DAW's like FL Studio - mainly using samples from others along with FL plugins. I have a large library of poorly sampled but excellently composed tracks on my HD lol.

Yeah, I come from a rock/blues type of background and only recently got into chiptune more serious. The only thing I ever worked with are DAWs (I was always my bands head engineer and made all the mixing & mastering and have over 10+ years of DAW experience). So yeah, plugins and samples are my way to go. I worked a little on Famitracker but missed the intuitive production of using a piano keybaord to record ideas on the fly.

Philadelphia

Nice, I used to be a in a blue/rock/reggae band! It was good times but I've always felt like more of a studio musician so chiptunes are perfect for me. I've been playing piano since I was a kid but have always preferred piano roll composition since the 90's. My mother was a musician and she got us a new family computer just to be able to compose Midi based tracks in Cakewalk and naturally, I took an interest. What's funny is, I would compose tracks in Cakewalk, post them online, and people would assume that I had played them on the piano live so I felt the need to learn them on piano as well and that actually helped me improve my piano playing.

Doctor Octoroc wrote:

Nice, I used to be a in a blue/rock/reggae band! It was good times but I've always felt like more of a studio musician so chiptunes are perfect for me. I've been playing piano since I was a kid but have always preferred piano roll composition since the 90's. My mother was a musician and she got us a new family computer just to be able to compose Midi based tracks in Cakewalk and naturally, I took an interest. What's funny is, I would compose tracks in Cakewalk, post them online, and people would assume that I had played them on the piano live so I felt the need to learn them on piano as well and that actually helped me improve my piano playing.

It's kind off the same story with me. I play bass but was always more interested in composing behind a computer big_smile. I remember the first "DAW" I used was eJay back in 97. I quickly moved to a very early version of Cubase and just went from there. Funny thing is, I'm using Cakewalk nowadays. If you haven't heard; it's free online. Was bought by a company called Bandlab, and they're distributing it for free now.

Last edited by Dark_Bit_ (Feb 9, 2019 11:22 pm)

Philadelphia

I haven't used Cakewalk since probably around '97. I bet a lot has changed, would be curious to check it out. But I'm a creature of habit - FL Studio does so much more than I need it to do but I'm used to the interface so I haven't ventured too far out. I tried getting into Ableton back when I wanted to DJ but that was a very short lived endeavor. Does the version of Cakewalk you use allow you to set up custom Midi controls? What is the event editor like (for manually adjusting volume, pitch, etc)?

Doctor Octoroc wrote:

Does the version of Cakewalk you use allow you to set up custom Midi controls? What is the event editor like (for manually adjusting volume, pitch, etc)?

Yes, it has all the features you could want. custom midi controls as well a full editing control. It really is a powerhouse that went for close to 700$ just a couple of months ago. Basically, It's the best option that is out there right now, just because of the price factor.

Philadelphia

Nice, good to know! Maybe I'll venture out of my FL Studio bubble!

STARDRAIN, CA

Great minimalist techno chip vibe! Got my 2008 feels. Kinda reminds me of old kitten rock chiptune

Kool Skull wrote:

Great minimalist techno chip vibe! Got my 2008 feels. Kinda reminds me of old kitten rock chiptune

Thank you! Yeah, I take a very minimalistic approach to Chiptune. I just love how the limitations of just a couple of waveforms lets me dig really deep to get the desired sound. Working on a new song right now which again will be very "Techno-ish" and, as some would day, monotone, but I like it that way big_smile. Gonna post that as well, as soon as it is finished.