Sea of Souls

Yay met! Stretch goal for Nanaloop XL? .*hint* *hint* *wink* *wink*

Melbourne

Congrats Oliver!

Orgia Mode wrote:
oliver wrote:

yes, overdrive. maybe as an effect per channel.

Is that like controlled clipping? Guilty - I haven't used NL...

Yeah, I think so. Oliver knows more about it but to me the NL2 overdrive sounds almost analog. Very nice when combining low bass tones and quiet noise, gets kinda fluttery.

It's just soft clipping with a nice curve.

Italy

Coming out of the lurking space just to say that you did a great job with this one! It looks like a really fun instrument! Congrats for the kickstarter already been way past the threshold!

Sea of Souls

Please add TP's between each LED and resistor of the sequencer portion, unless you already have alternative plans for this.

What's a TP?

Sea of Souls
oliver wrote:

What's a TP?

Sorry, a Test Point.

And why would you like so many TPs.

Sea of Souls

Each one of those digital signals can be tapped into, buffered and patched into modulars. Sequencers with this many channels are not typically 100 bucks, let alone handheld!

I just realized that the signals aren't always propagating on these traces, for example when changing other parameters.

Last edited by Orgia Mode (Mar 12, 2019 9:21 pm)

Oregon

@Orgia I think you're misunderstanding what the purpose of nanoloop is. Wouldn't a modified Volca be a good fit if you're looking for something like this (a modular sequencer) for cheap?

Last edited by Hawk (Mar 12, 2019 10:28 pm)

Sea of Souls
Hawk wrote:

@Orgia I think you're misunderstanding what the purpose of nanoloop is. Wouldn't a modified Volca be a good fit if you're looking for something like this for cheap?

That may be true, but you may be also misunderstanding the modder's community at which this is directed. If in fact I am misunderstanding Nanoloop, then everyone who has ever prosound modded a gameboy is misunderstanding the purpose of it that children's toy.
Besides, I would much rather have the intuitive NL interface over a volca.

Plus, if I still have to modify the volca, then wut? XD

Last edited by Orgia Mode (Mar 12, 2019 9:58 pm)

Oregon

@Orgia Nah man I think you're applying my statement too broadly, and I didn't mean it combatively. I'm part of that "modders community" after all. You said earlier in this thread that you have never used nanoloop... so how do you know how intuitive it is versus a Volca? I would say that the NL interface is really wonderful and probably my favorite out of all my gear, but certainly the Volca interface is much simpler and more intuitive due to clear labeling and simple layout. NL interface is very minimalist, you definitely need to do some reading of the manual when first starting.

Are you thinking you would be able to mod this new handheld to use the full sequencer with multiple outs, note and parameter data that is sent out as CV, etc?

I suggested a Volca for a modular sequencer because they're inexpensive and I know that people have done simple MIDI out mods that allow you to use the nice multi-part sequencer with a modular, assuming you've got a MIDI to CV module. Not that I've done this personally, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Hawk (Mar 12, 2019 10:27 pm)

Sea of Souls
Hawk wrote:

@Orgia Nah man I think you're applying my statement too broadly, and I didn't mean it combatively. I'm part of that "modders community" after all. You said earlier in this thread that you have never used nanoloop... so how do you know how intuitive it is versus a Volca? I would say that the NL interface is really wonderful and probably my favorite out of all my gear, but certainly the Volca interface is much simpler and more intuitive due to clear labeling and simple layout. NL interface is very minimalist, you definitely need to do some reading of the manual when first starting.

Are you thinking you would be able to mod this new handheld to use the full sequencer with multiple outs, note and parameter data that is sent out as CV, etc?

I suggested a Volca for a modular sequencer because they're inexpensive and I know that people have done simple MIDI out mods that allow you to use the nice multi-part sequencer with a modular, assuming you've got a MIDI to CV module. Not that I've done this personally, so take it with a grain of salt.

No combative, only constructive.
And no, I can't imagine getting CV outta this. But it could be used as a 16-out drum trigger pretty easily. I am guessing the volca can't store sequences though? I bet it doesn't come anywhere close to what NL is going to offer:

sequencer:

4x4 matrix
per-step control for all parameters
pattern transpose for all parameters
"meta step": play note only every 2nd or 4th loop
variable pattern length per channel
individual channel tempo
ping pong and random modes
shift pattern in four directions
randomise all parameters

memory:

99 banks à 4x8 patterns each
song 999 patterns length
backup / restore via audio cable
micro-SD slot for near infinite projects (SD-card not included)

Oregon

Each Volca sequencer is different, but each one does store sequences actually. You should get one if you've never used one of those either, they are very fun and have really immediate sequencers for jamming.

And yes, NL is much different than Volcas of course and this new handheld version looks extremely full featured, the sequencer in each version of NL is much more powerful than any Volca sequencer in most ways, but that is because it's extremely tightly integrated with the synth engine(s).

Last edited by Hawk (Mar 12, 2019 11:20 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil
Orgia Mode wrote:

then everyone who has ever prosound modded a gameboy is misunderstanding the purpose of it that children's toy.

Oliver's device was carefully designed for music-making, not Tetris-playing.

Sea of Souls
PULSELOOPER wrote:
Orgia Mode wrote:

then everyone who has ever prosound modded a gameboy is misunderstanding the purpose of it that children's toy.

Oliver's device was carefully designed for music-making, not Tetris-playing.

Wait...it doesn't play Tetris?