10k wrote:

An album so good, its cover breaks the fundamental laws of computer science.

Melbourne, Australia
godinpants wrote:

The PMG-10: making piano-bit accessible to gamers I'm a student and gamer in Tallahassee, Florida trying to bring piano to the world of videogames.

Nice hook, but what is it? The PMG-10 is a fully self-contained analogue synthesizer that uses the original Pianoforté as its sound module. The code being run on the instrument is based off of Piano written by Bartolomeo Cristofori. The gamecontroller is running off of an Arduino micro-controller. All the code and designs are completely open source. The synth is designed to be hacked together from other game controllers if needed / wanted.

Why are you doing this? I want to make piano sounds more accessible to any gamer. Right now, the only way to use a Piano or Keyboard for music requires learning complicated notes that can take months or years to master. Plus, it's difficult to use a piano for headshots or playing xboxlive with other noobs. That's where the PMG-10 comes in. The PMG-10 combines the playability of a standard game control with the sound and raw piano-bit power of the Pianoforté. The PMG-10 will let a whole new group of gamers make piano-bit and pianotune based music.

All good and well, but why do you need my help? As it turns out, prototyping a full synthesizer requires a decent amount of money. While I'm almost done with the prototype, I need to build a cleaner version with more condensed hardware; the prototype is just too messy to be practical. This requires String fabrication, case manufacturing, and more stools and cushions. Once I have all of that done, though, all of my code and designs will become open source. All of my Eagle documents, all of my code sets, everything will be open and build-able by anyone.

I will still offer building services and kits after the drive for those that are slightly less carpentarially inclined. I want everybody to be capable of using this piano.

What do I get out of this? Eternal love and thanks from me, plus our many fabulous prizes listed off to the right hand side.

What's next for the project? I need to finish the prototype and then get cracking on the final keyboard design. It will be a long process, but it will definitely be worth it.

Thanks you for reading this. Any donation will help, even $1. Your pledge is incredibly appreciated.

Project location: Tallahassee, FL

You sir, are king of the internet.

astral cat
hotmessization wrote:

For $1500, I will bring you three premade sensual mixtapes, plus a bottle of wine. If you want, I will help you drink the wine. Then we will have sex. We can record this love making session. Then, I will release the video online for everyone who donated to watch and on a DVD for everyone who donated at least $30 to watch. NOTE: You MUST be an attractive female and live on the planet Earth for this reward.

haha, i was sort of getting this vibe when i read the final "reward" too tongue

East Kilbride, Scotland

5 pages and still not even a dollar donated.

Seriously guys, do you want him to come over or not?

California

When I first saw this I was like "this looks kinda lame" but felt bad so I didn't say a thing. This thread makes me feel better.

Brooklyn, NY

I'll be totally honest: I mentioned this thing on the OSV podcast without even reading the project description. We talked about what we thought it was.

Last edited by Zen Albatross (Jun 10, 2010 8:53 pm)

hardcore, Australia

Charlotte

haha

Hoxton, London UK
godinpants wrote:

[img]www.chkdisbrk.com/success.png[/img]

print that one out, when he's a superstar you'll have proof you were there first

Charlotte
Shriker wrote:
godinpants wrote:

[img]www.chkdisbrk.com/success.png[/img]

print that one out, when he's a superstar you'll have proof you were there first

YES! haha

Hoxton, London UK

I mights start a similar page for a fully-functioning time machine concept i've been working on...

East Kilbride, Scotland
Sycamore Drive wrote:

Alright who is the wise guy? smile

New York City
Sycamore Drive wrote:
Sycamore Drive wrote:

That was hilarious
xD
We should all pledge to 1499 xD

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jun 10, 2010 10:01 pm)

East Kilbride, Scotland
akira^8GB wrote:
Sycamore Drive wrote:

That was hilarious
xD

I'm in! Donated. big_smile

akira^8GB wrote:

Most expensive inside joke ever.

Oh wait, we'd get the money back wouldn't we? Unless someone plays a new joke on us.....