I've been producing in FL for nearly 3 years. I'm now trying to go libre, which means I'll have to give up Windows and FL. I'm thinking of switching to an authentic chiptune tracker. I make detailed, heavy IDM - a tracker would be perfect for this kind of music

* Renoise is incredible but non-free
* Schism has a comfy UI but it's sampler is rather basic
* Milky has a terrible UI but it's sampler is quite powerful
* klystrack is capable but non-authentic

Bratislava, Slovakia

1. You probably want to be first musician on the planet earth to use Libre.
2. Nothing really good is free.
3. I recommend LSDJ (Nintendo), Deflemask (multiple systems) and NanoStudio 2 (iPad, probably most perfect UI for touchscreen and amazing synths).

Sweeeeeeden

FamiTracker? It ticks both boxes. Authentic (produces modules that can play back on a real NES) and libre (GPL). But it's of course a chip tracker with the limitations of the NES sound circuit, and not a generic sample based tracker so maybe not what you want.

nitro2k01 wrote:

FamiTracker? It ticks both boxes. Authentic (produces modules that can play back on a real NES) and libre (GPL). But it's of course a chip tracker with the limitations of the NES sound circuit, and not a generic sample based tracker so maybe not what you want.

Yeah, it's way too limited >_<

Nomad's Land

Perhaps Buzztrax is what you're looking for.

irrlichtproject wrote:

Perhaps Buzztrax is what you're looking for.

Never heard of it, thanks a lot!

There is also ardour and LMMS, depending on your needs

radium seems interesting too

Last edited by cyberic (Nov 26, 2019 10:03 am)

France
martin_demsky wrote:

1. You probably want to be first musician on the planet earth to use Libre.
2. Nothing really good is free.
3. I recommend LSDJ (Nintendo), Deflemask (multiple systems) and NanoStudio 2 (iPad, probably most perfect UI for touchscreen and amazing synths).

you must be kidding. Many musicians are happily using open source software. And some great software are also free of charge (you named Deflemask which is free, but not free/libre software, there is also Sunvox to replace FL studio and can make advanced sounds).

I've reviewed a few trackers there, for linux users: http://garvalf.free.fr/index.php?page=articles_trackers (I should update it, Arkos Tracker II is also for Linux now)

If you want something authentic and libre software, Adlib tracker II is open source (and you can create awesome tunes with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKr-QH8DPQY )

Bratislava, Slovakia

Oh, no, dont get me wrong, i also started on free Protracker, but i like to pay for quality software, because developers deserves it, some tools or synths costs even 2 euros so why not to support it. Sorry for OT.

Man I wish LSDJ was GPL or MPL...

Edit- I fully support developers making a living though! Just saying hypothetically, a world where LSDJ were open source would be a better one.

Last edited by Andrex (Nov 26, 2019 8:24 pm)

Andrex wrote:

Man I wish LSDJ was GPL or MPL...
Edit- I fully support developers making a living though! Just saying hypothetically, a world where LSDJ were open source would be a better one.

I think Johan doesn't want uncontrolled forks of LSDJ in the wild...

And I am sure also that the money is not what motivates him to support and enhance LSDJ

Yup, everyone has their reasons and that's cool. I dig FOSS like OP tho. tongue

Unsubscribe

/whispers this is open source https://github.com/Mdashdotdashn/LittleGPTracker

Brittany

LittleGPTracker is a good choice indeed.

France

The great thing with open source is you can support developers too! I've contributed money to some projects I like.

Last edited by garvalf (Nov 28, 2019 10:43 am)

Tacoma, WA

Sunvox is really nice and supported on a number of platforms.

However, if you want something better, then Renoise is well worth the investment.