London, UK

bit different to putting out a 2LP retrospective of your greatest hits....

https://hyperdub.net/products/analogue- … onsolation

Bratislava, Slovakia

What is this company Analogue.co? I am waiting for release of Pocket, but i see on the web announcing of more gaming consoles such as Sega Megadrive/Genesis based on FGPA (not emulators like is today popular at Nintendo or Sony). Company is founded in 2011 and up to now nothing real released, so i am a little bit suspitious, but i also must say that their design is very mature, at least visualisations are professional looking, so i am looking forward to try that Pocket. On facebook page is also missing country where is their basement, americans say analog and here in europe is more popular analogue (according to oxford dictionary) but price is in dollars, so i am confused smile

NUMBSKULL

Analogue has been around for the better part of the last decade, you can find that out with a rudimentary google search. They have released FPGA based NES, SNES, Genesis. This is simply a special edition of the Genesis console (Mega Sg). They are based in Portland, Oregon, USA and Shenzhen, China.

Apparently the cartridge isn't actually using the YM2149 chip, just streaming compressed audio. Still cool, but could have been cooler. I ordered one because I'm intrigued with the cartridge!

Sea of Souls

As far as I'm concerned, they're a legit and boutique getup. Very high end, quality manufacturing. I know some people with their products.
My guess is that they make their stuff wherever and then only sell through retailers in multiple countries, not out of their garage. wink

I don't think there is any grounds for suspicion.

Honestly this isn't the place to get the best discussion of these. A little to high-brow for our ilk. If you want good opinions, talk to some of those purists on Nintendo Age or something.

Sea of Souls
catskull wrote:

Apparently the cartridge isn't actually using the YM2149 chip, just streaming compressed audio. Still cool, but could have been cooler. I ordered one because I'm intrigued with the cartridge!

Aww... sad
If thats whats cool now, lets make a portable AM/FM tuner for Famicom. xD

Bratislava, Slovakia

Okay, sorry

NUMBSKULL
Orgia Mode wrote:

Honestly this isn't the place to get the best discussion of these. A little to high-brow for our ilk. If you want good opinions, talk to some of those purists on Nintendo Age or something.

I don't think this is necessarily true, especially considering the Analogue Pocket will have striaght-up Nanoloop 2 built in. I also think something like the Mega Sg is a great way to get a quality Sega Genesis with 3.5mm audio out without fighting a bunch of scammy eBay sellers and digging through the 10 revisions of the console to get the one with the good sound chips.

Last edited by Apeshit (Jun 23, 2020 3:47 pm)

Sea of Souls
Apeshit wrote:

Also, Nintendo Age, as we knew it, is defunct.

Geez, I had no idea. Guess I haven't been around.

London, UK

Hyperdub did release this too, so they're kinda on topic... ish? wink

https://hyperdub.bandcamp.com/album/diggin-in-the-carts

Am interested to see how the Pocket turns out too.

NUMBSKULL

I got my console yesterday. Here's a twitter thread where I explore the album cartridge, it's pretty cool! https://twitter.com/xxcatskullxx/status … 76737?s=20

TL;DR: The cart plays uncompressed audio off SD directly to the console through the audio in pins on the cartridge connector. Really clever design that doesn't use any microcontrollers or FPGAs!

I'm super impressed!

Sea of Souls

Thats crazy! I bet it will just stream anything you put on it, but I wonder how it names them? The tracks all seem to be named in the GUI, but the files themselves are numbered...?