London, UK

I have an arduinoboy that is powered via the dmg link cable...

I now have a GBA I wanted to use with it... I assumed using the gameboy pocket MGB-004 adapter cable would work to connect the GBA to the DMG ended lead from my arduinoboy... it doesn't - no power!

anyone know if this is because:

a) the adapter doesn't pass the power?
b) GBA link cables in general never provide power at all.
c) another reason?

trying to work out if I need to build another arduinoboy (which I was halfway to doing already) with external power OR just solder a new lead....

thanks!

Last edited by Duck (Dec 2, 2019 8:37 pm)

NUMBSKULL

All of the aftermarket GBC link cables I have seen have the power line connected but it connects to SD on the other side. So if you cut a link cable, you can wire in the power lead.

I'm not sure about the MGB-004 adapter but I'd guess it will work (in fact I swear I've tested it and confirmed that). A quick test with a multimeter should confirm it pretty quick though!

London, UK

You got me, I was being a bit lazy wink

Thanks really useful to know the GBA should be providing power at least as I've modded it so possible I've caused some calamity there.

NUMBSKULL

Yep, I know for a fact that all GBAs have power on the link port, I use it for the GBA Midi Synth: https://catskullelectronics.com/gbamidi

But yeah some link cables are wired funky which is why I include one in that bundle.

London, UK

oh, of course. d'oh, I have one of those. Logic obviously not my strong point today.

i'll get busy with the multimeter and work out what's going on.

smile

thanks!

Last edited by Duck (Dec 3, 2019 5:14 pm)

London, UK

It would seem (from the Arduinoboy I just wired up) that the link port provides 3.3v rather than 5v which I assume the Arduinoboy needs...

Someone on the Internet suggests it only provides 5v with a DMG or GBC game in the slot, but not tested that yet...

Be interested if that makes sense with the GBA midi synth..

Last edited by Duck (Jan 9, 2020 10:17 pm)

London, UK

It would seem (from the Arduinoboy I just wired up) that the link port provides 3.3v rather tham 5v which I assume the Arduinoboy needs... Ah well!