Sea of Souls

Bidirectional
Backwards Compatible
256 MIDI Channels
32 bits of resolution
more+

What are you most excited about?

NUMBSKULL

Is it still DIN5? Bidirectional is pretty rad!

Sea of Souls

I assume that for unidirectional MIDI messages, 2.0 supports DIN5.
MIDI 2.0 is backwards compatible in that the devices perform a handshake and agree on what functions are supported, defaulting to 1.0 functions in the case of no response from the slave. MIDI can be streamed over DIN5, USB and TRS connections commercially as we well know. So I have to assume that yes, MIDI 2.0 bitstreams can be sent over DIN5, granted the MIDI slave can respond and confirm the supported capabilities.

A more detailed explanation of the handshake is that the MIDI master sends a capability request in MIDI 1.0, then waits for the response. If the slave device supports MIDI 2.0, then it can return the MIDI 1.0 message. For MIDI 1.0 devices, there is nothing to be excited or worried about. MIDI 2.0's highest priorities is backwards compatibility. One of the few MIDI 2.0 devices available (or soon to be) is the Roland A-88MKII MIDI Keyboard Controller. It supports MIDI 2.0 over the USB-C on the back, but also has DIN5 IN and OUT jacks. So I have to assume that if MIDI 2.0 is supported over DIN5, then both the master and slave need MIDI IN and OUT connected.

Sea of Souls

I look forward to hearing from PJRC on what they have to say as far as arduino IDE integration. I have to assume that the Teensy 2.x, LC, 3.x and 4 can support MIDI 2.0 over USB. It is more likely than other authors will create MIDI2.0 function libraries first but it has to be coming.