Chicago, IL

i've recently gotten back into chiptune after many years (first as a casual listener, and now as an actual composer/producer).

it seems like the scene has died down significantly since, say, 10 years ago. i'm curious what people think about the general decline of the genre and where you think it might be headed from here

Middle age? Seriously though there are a lot of accumulating electronics around. Just make music with that stuff. Toasters, phones , no holes barred.

Joliette, QC, Canada

I think (for the general audience) that it was a just craze back then when some of us said "Hey I make music with a gameboy and shit !" and people got curious and love the sound of it because it was the sound of their younger days !
10 years later you say you make music with a gameboy most people will just reply with What the fff is a gameboy ?!
Another point is most magazines and news websites that have some similar interests (electronic music, computer,videogames, etc.) already had their big CHIPTUNE IS COOL article years ago so they don't have to do it again...
IMO I think the love for chipmusic is a little more like the demoscene these years. A little more obscure but still rocking it like crazy, but you know the people around you in an event are people who loves chiptune from the bottom of their heart !!!
The main chip events of the year are not at the same places as before too. Blipfest is no more, but check out 8STATIC in Philly you will see that chiplove is still there dude ! smile

Nomad's Land

https://bintracker.org big_smile

Bratislava, Slovakia

I would like to have all important soundchips on one board, along with robust sequencer, something like 2x SID, YM2612, Nintendo S-SMP from SNES, Gameboy, that is enough. AY-3-8912 is probably not necessary because SID can do all that, so i can cover anything i want, this is future for me. And one big controller with a lot of knobs like have look mom no computer to modify all parameters in realtime. Dream off smile

Last edited by martin_demsky (Feb 7, 2020 12:05 pm)

IL, US
XyNo wrote:

8STATIC in Philly

i'm fairly certain 8static is done

Most people moved over to social media rather than forums, follow a couple of the bigger chip artists on Twitter for example and you'll see there's plenty going on.  I don't know about the US scene but at least in Europe there's still live specific events, though a lot of people are getting along fine playing 'normal' gigs with other types of artists.

Brittany
nickyflowers wrote:

it seems like the scene has died down significantly since, say, 10 years ago

I'm not so sure about it.

Internet communities have changed a lot. Forums are almost a relic of the past. Netlabels are nearly dead today. There is not a lot of active blogs or websites about chiptune. I'm quite sad about it because I'm a nostalgic grumpy guy that used to love this kind of interactions.

But, as 4mat says, people have moved on social medias (and discord), and there's a lot of activity and interection there.

"Chiptune" seems really alive today. It's not as hype as it used to be, but it's far from dead. There are a ton of awesome and super original releases, a lot of gigs and festivals are happening all over the world.

If you don't believe it, just go on bandcamp. There have been something like 40 released albums with the chiptune tag during the last week. Search for chiptune on twitter and... well i can't even count how many time the word chiptune have been written today.

EDIT :

irrlichtproject wrote:

https://bintracker.org big_smile

utz this seems REALLY AWESOME

Last edited by Gala (Feb 7, 2020 10:37 pm)

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 9:06 pm)

Bratislava, Slovakia

Btw anyone is interested in chiptune event here in Slovakia/Bratislava? We are nice country, good people and here at Binarium is Demobit party, which is pretty long event and owner of this building is founder of well known antivirus app Eset/Nod so iam pretty sure that if comes enough people to chiptune event, then he will support it.

Last edited by martin_demsky (Feb 8, 2020 3:38 pm)

Montreal, Canada

The future of chiptune is the elusive, but ultimately inevitable discovery of the mystical 9th bit.

Joliette, QC, Canada
e.s.c. wrote:
XyNo wrote:

8STATIC in Philly

i'm fairly certain 8static is done

ahh yeah I think Pocaille talked to me about that at our last gig together last august. Well like I said in my comments that kind of fest will still run but it will be another team of chip passionates in another city (probably!)

NorthTtrrrway
martin_demsky wrote:

I would like to have all important soundchips on one board, along with robust sequencer, something like 2x SID, YM2612, Nintendo S-SMP from SNES, Gameboy, that is enough. AY-3-8912 is probably not necessary because SID can do all that, so i can cover anything i want, this is future for me. And one big controller with a lot of knobs like have look mom no computer to modify all parameters in realtime. Dream off smile

not one board, but are you aware of twisted electrons? therapsid, MEGAfm, AY, etc...quite some is covered already in a useful way

Russia

I hope for improvement of software tools which will give way to creation of more elaborate, rich sound textures and patterns.
I look forward to seeing a more rich sound in chiptune. More complex envelopes and layering effects.

Bratislava, Slovakia
the mist toggles wrote:
martin_demsky wrote:

not one board, but are you aware of twisted electrons? therapsid, MEGAfm, AY, etc...quite some is covered already in a useful way

Thanks for good tip, that twisted electrons stuff is very interesting, but not very cheap, but that realtime control is probably worth it!

The Forest, WA
martin_demsky wrote:
the mist toggles wrote:

Thanks for good tip, that twisted electrons stuff is very interesting, but not very cheap, but that realtime control is probably worth it!

from a genmdm owner point of veiw MegaFM is gunna be great