The last version of lsdj i ever used was 4.x.x i saw that there was lots of new developments for lsdj in the last few years and that's awesome... but since 4.x.x i have no idea now what are the new things introduced and new features...

reading the changelog is a long and tedious process since most things are bug fixes and it's hard to discern which is new features and which are just bug fixes...

i downloaded the latest manual version but the last updated one is for version 6.8.5 but lsdj now has reached 8.1

was wondering if there's somewhere where i can have a more upper level view of the new features that were introduced to lsdj (like short resume of features added only)

if not then i guess i have no choice but to read the entire changelog and filter out all the new features indicated in there... perhaps in my endeavour i could make my own resume of features.

thanks...

sorry for the questions, i've been away from chiptunes for years now and i'm getting back into it and i wanna catch up on all the developments

NUMBSKULL

follow defense mechanism on twitter smile

I'll bet he'll post here and give you a high level overview though

Indianapolis, IN

thanks yeah you can follow me @bananamanzero on twitter as i post every update. there's a "cheat sheet" that lists some of the new versions but it is not even slightly caught up to the v7-8 changes yet. i'll post it here anyway because other people might find it useful

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … 1637641725

Indianapolis, IN

that being said let me list some features that will help you kind of get started right away:

all the L commands are now different, so that L01 is the fastest and LFF is the slowest (inverted from how v4 worked)

the next most immediate change is the "PITCH" feature in pulse and wave - if you press A+Up, you can choose "drum" and this emulates the pitch slides for kicks. i don't recommend making a kick with "FAST" pitch although you definitely can if you want to. the transpose feature is also useful for kicks since if you turn it off, you can use the chain transpose column on phrases with kicks and bass and the kicks won't change pitch! i made a kick drum tutorial video here (in v6 it was called P/L/V but in v7+ it's just called PITCH) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ihMjHn90zY

in v7/8, table AUTOMATE is now called STEP and is selected by pressing A+Left/Right where it says PLAY next to TABLE

there's a new feature called CMD/RATE (it was called FX/SPEED at the time i wrote the blog) that controls the rate of C commands (and P commands which also work in the noise channel along with C)

the screen navigation has changed - there are only 2 rows, and each row remembers where you left off when you switch between them. the exceptions for this are that going upwards from a wave instrument still takes you to the synth screen, and going upwards from a G command still take you to the groove screen.

i also wrote a tech blog covering some more of the changes in v7: https://chiptuneswin.com/blog/intense-t … -features/

i'm trying to think of the major ones but it's kind of hard to remember since there are so many. feel free to message me on any platform including here if you want to have a chat, i'm happy to help!

defensem3ch wrote:

that being said let me list some features that will help you kind of get started right away:

all the L commands are now different, so that L01 is the fastest and LFF is the slowest (inverted from how v4 worked)

the next most immediate change is the "PITCH" feature in pulse and wave - if you press A+Up, you can choose "drum" and this emulates the pitch slides for kicks. i don't recommend making a kick with "FAST" pitch although you definitely can if you want to. the transpose feature is also useful for kicks since if you turn it off, you can use the chain transpose column on phrases with kicks and bass and the kicks won't change pitch! i made a kick drum tutorial video here (in v6 it was called P/L/V but in v7+ it's just called PITCH) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ihMjHn90zY

in v7/8, table AUTOMATE is now called STEP and is selected by pressing A+Left/Right where it says PLAY next to TABLE

there's a new feature called CMD/RATE (it was called FX/SPEED at the time i wrote the blog) that controls the rate of C commands (and P commands which also work in the noise channel along with C)

the screen navigation has changed - there are only 2 rows, and each row remembers where you left off when you switch between them. the exceptions for this are that going upwards from a wave instrument still takes you to the synth screen, and going upwards from a G command still take you to the groove screen.

i also wrote a tech blog covering some more of the changes in v7: https://chiptuneswin.com/blog/intense-t … -features/

i'm trying to think of the major ones but it's kind of hard to remember since there are so many. feel free to message me on any platform including here if you want to have a chat, i'm happy to help!

Thank you very much for that detailed reply! I really appreciate it. I’ll download the latest version and flash it tonight and start discovering what’s new.

I've gone through your blog post detailing some of the new features and i can tell that there's a lot of cool things in there now that i've wanted for a long time! i had grown a bit tired of lsdj after a few years being blocked into a specific mindset. feeling like i've hit the wall of what i can do (i know it's never true it was just my perception) but there's a lot of cool stuff now ti reignite my excitement and discover new sounds!

also i'm glad i discovered your blog coz there's a lot of fun reads in there! thank you again defensem3ch

Indianapolis, IN
theskyis256k wrote:

I've gone through your blog post detailing some of the new features and i can tell that there's a lot of cool things in there now that i've wanted for a long time! i had grown a bit tired of lsdj after a few years being blocked into a specific mindset. feeling like i've hit the wall of what i can do (i know it's never true it was just my perception) but there's a lot of cool stuff now ti reignite my excitement and discover new sounds!

also i'm glad i discovered your blog coz there's a lot of fun reads in there! thank you again defensem3ch

you're welcome! seriously glad to help anytime!