IL, US
BLEO wrote:
catskull wrote:

Stupid question: what's the appeal of running piggy on a pi? I'm seriously wondering if there's an advantage over say a PSP or something. Is it just the ability to easily do midi stuff?

More RAM means more samples, but 32 MB of samples should really be more than enough, right?

Definitely. I made an entire ~25 minute album in one piggy save and it was less than 20 MB

Spokompton

Are you guys compiling this thing or just running the 10 year old ghetto builds? I have had no luck compiling properly, but I'm a total C++ idiot.

Geneva, NY

We run ghettos.

Unsubscribe

just a call out, piggy was built for 32bit os's, and i never got it to run on modern 64bit rasbian images because linux is hard.

Spokompton
herr_prof wrote:

just a call out, piggy was built for 32bit os's, and i never got it to run on modern 64bit rasbian images because linux is hard.

That's kinda where I'm at.  I made a bunch of tweaks based on semi-educated guesses and got it going. It builds, it runs, but when I try to load a song it crashes every time. I ran Valgrind on it and it seems to be a 32 vs 64 thing in SDL (not JACK, thankfully). So I need to figure out how to bridge that.

Geneva, NY
undergroundclouds wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

That's kinda where I'm at.  I made a bunch of tweaks based on semi-educated guesses and got it going. It builds, it runs, but when I try to load a song it crashes every time. I ran Valgrind on it and it seems to be a 32 vs 64 thing in SDL (not JACK, thankfully). So I need to figure out how to bridge that.

Did you try the stuff from this post earlier in this thread?

https://chipmusic.org/forums/post/260091/#p260091

Unsubscribe

I think I did, and that stuff wont load on 64bit os's easily. It should be rebuilt, which is probably a huge can of worms.

Spokompton

Yup herr is right.

I found an old branch where I'd done similar things and it actually doesn't crash but it makes no sound. I'm too stupid for this, I'm going back to SuperCollider.

Last edited by undergroundclouds (Mar 5, 2020 12:48 am)

Italy

Stupid question: what's the appeal of running piggy on a pi? I'm seriously wondering if there's an advantage over say a PSP or something. Is it just the ability to easily do midi stuff?

It might be good for ergonomics. We're sitting bent over small screens way too much already, it's probably good to take a break from it when making music.
I've been thinking about getting a small-ish HDMI screen for the rpi for some time.

Last edited by rumpelfilter (Mar 5, 2020 9:57 am)

tearauth wrote:

So Ive got it running on my arch linux laptop, the sound outputs fine (ran into problems with jack falling back to SDL but it sounds fine so not touching it for now)

How did you get it working on arch? I've been having problems with that.