Is there any way to unregister from chipmusic.org?

The contact email doesn't work/exist (it bounces), and yet I did not receive a reply from assumed moderators after sending PM to them...

Thanks for any help or hints,

Abandoned on Fire

I don't think you can. Just log out and leave it.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
egr wrote:

Then cm.o might have to starting blocking the EU, since that's a requirement under the GDPR.

Abandoned on Fire
jefftheworld wrote:
egr wrote:

Then cm.o might have to starting blocking the EU, since that's a requirement under the GDPR.

Hmmm that could be a problem.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
egr wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

Hmmm that could be a problem.

This site is probably small enough to fly under the radar, but technically it's a requirement that citizens of EU states are able to delete or request deletion of their data.

Sweeeeeeden
jefftheworld wrote:

This site is probably small enough to fly under the radar, but technically it's a requirement that citizens of EU states are able to delete or request deletion of their data.

That is an EU law. Chipmusic.org is owned and operated by Tim, who's in the US. Big corporations and news sites have to care about GDPR because they either have local offices in the EU, or rely on advertising shown by ad agencies in the EU. But it would be difficult to motivate why a 100% US run site would have to abide by EU laws, when it doesn't have any business (as in local branches or money exchanging hands) anywhere in the EU.

However, the policy to not delete accounts on CM.O of course has nothing to do with mining data for profit, but is there to preserve useful information and history about the chip scene. It came about as a reaction to 8bc at the time, where users with in some case thousands of posts asked to have their accounts deleted, which created a large loss of information.

I've discussed this privately with hermit, and we've reached a solution.

I confirm, we had a solution. Thanks for the help and for this great site.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
nitro2k01 wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

That is an EU law. Chipmusic.org is owned and operated by Tim, who's in the US. Big corporations and news sites have to care about GDPR because they either have local offices in the EU, or rely on advertising shown by ad agencies in the EU. But it would be difficult to motivate why a 100% US run site would have to abide by EU laws, when it doesn't have any business (as in local branches or money exchanging hands) anywhere in the EU.

GDPR does technically apply to any entity providing services (even free ones like a forum) to EU users. Enforcement is unlikely, but it's possible. As a US-run site, the California Consumer Privacy Act is closer to home. Also unlikely to be enforced, but it's worth considering some mechanism that can satisfy the CCPA personal data deletion requirements.

I understand the desire to save important information but I'd hate to see this site get tangled in this personal data protection web. Maybe a tool for deleting personal data, username, etc, but leaving anonymized posts behind? Maybe a policy where users can request any posts with personal data removed?

Nomad's Land

I believe even just deleting the email address (and whatever other identifying info is stored on cm's side) should be enough to satisfy the GDPR requirements. Posts and even user name are public information so they aren't covered by GDPR (obligatory disclaimer: I am not a lawyer). Other than that I fully agree. Chances of this ever being enforced are very low but better be safe than sorry.