Paris, France

Good evening,
I've seen a little revolution happening with the gameboys getting IPS screens and I might buy one myself to install on a dmg with a broken screen.

Are there any sound quality drawbacks using these screens? Has anyone of you had any noise issues with these new screens with a pro-sound mod?

I'm curious about both the old gameboys, gameboy colors and the gameboy advances since I think I've seen that they all have some implementation of the IPS screen mod.

Kind regards,

Scanian Wolf

London, UK

I put one into a DMG the other day and if anything I think it probably sounds better than it would with an old-style backlight. Maybe even better than stock.

I have a GBA and an SP with them fitted too. They seem to sound pretty much as good as GBAs sound, I certainly didn't notice them getting worse.

The GBA ones really look pretty amazing. The DMG one makes it feel like you're using a completely different device - I can see how people might think that's a negative for gaming, but as I only really use mine for music it's made it a lot more pleasant experience. It feels like the buttons are better too (although that might just be because original boards have dirt all over them!)

I've only got through one set of batteries on the DMG, but it feels like it might be using quite a bit of power.. Would be good to do a like for like comparison on that at some point.

Last edited by Duck (Jun 17, 2020 9:08 am)

Paris, France

Thanks a bunch for your reply, very interesting.

I also saw a youtuber named Jan Beta that compared the power draw from the IPSv2 mod with an original backlight mod and he also pointed out that it drew more power than the original front panel board with the classic backlit screen mod.

I might try to get a kit to install to a DMG that has a messed up the screen from a previous attempt to install a classic  backlight mod years ago.
I've seen on HHL that there's a IPSv3 out now; it would be interesting to know if the power consumption is lower on that one, which version of the IPS mod do you have?

What prosound mod do you use? Internal, 3,5mm or RCA?

London, UK

the GBAs are both v2.

bought the DMG one from this seller;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-cut-8-Co … 2749.l2649

so no idea really! it certainly works though.

London, UK

I might try to get a kit to install to a DMG that has a messed up the screen from a previous attempt to install a classic  backlight mod years ago.

this is pretty much why i did it, had a DMG that I bought cheap with a really bad backlight and a horizontal line or two.

oh, and the prosound on this particular one is just an internal one.

New Zealand

I have an IPSv3 in my DMG and love it so much!

I do feel that it adds a little hiss to the headphones though... It's volume independent though so I'm guessing it's power-supply noise getting into the headphone amp and wouldn't appear on the prosound smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Shifty Pixlz wrote:

I have an IPSv3 in my DMG and love it so much!

I do feel that it adds a little hiss to the headphones though... It's volume independent though so I'm guessing it's power-supply noise getting into the headphone amp and wouldn't appear on the prosound smile

Where are the best places to buy these?

I'd like to find somewhere in the UK/EU but my main criteria is that I'm buying from a trustworthy seller.

Philadelphia

I used HHL's IPS mod a few months back, the sound is definitely better than it was on my old backlit model - one thing worth noting is that different color screens have a slightly different effect. There is a very subtle high-pitched noise (only can really hear it in headphones) but the darker color screens make it less noticeable. I always keep my screen on red since that seems to be the quietest but it's barely there listening through speakers or a decent mixer.

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc (Jun 20, 2020 5:44 am)

Paris, France

Thank you all for sharing,
Is there any difference in quality of these driver PCBs for the IPS screens?
I mean is HHL the same sauce as the ones that you can pick up cheaper on ebay?

New Zealand

Well I got mine of AliExpress and it APPEARS to be the same thing as what's in the HHL photos... Except HHL also have a PLASTIC adapter available to make installation easier (without it, alignment of the screen in the case is done by eye and it's held in with tape.)

You'll likely get better support from HHL if you end up needing it.
But for me, the cost of shipping to New Zealand from anywhere but China was gonna be waaaaay too expensive.

Brittany

I don't need one, but now, I want one.

Paris, France
Shifty Pixlz wrote:

Well I got mine of AliExpress and it APPEARS to be the same thing as what's in the HHL photos... Except HHL also have a PLASTIC adapter available to make installation easier (without it, alignment of the screen in the case is done by eye and it's held in with tape.)

You'll likely get better support from HHL if you end up needing it.
But for me, the cost of shipping to New Zealand from anywhere but China was gonna be waaaaay too expensive.

I see!
I've been following @JoeBleeps channel on youtube lately where he regularly posts videos with the latest news in regards to gameboy mods, which is super cool.
Here's one of his latest videos addressing some light bleed with the dmg ips mod:
https://youtu.be/q6QaXcz7kx0

I don't really need that insane level of perfection cause I'm gonna use it mostly for chiptune but I'm also thinking that if I'm gonna invest in this mod, I might as well do it properly! For me that bracket alignment thing is a must-have because hot glue and tape solutions make me cringe wink

Last edited by ScanianWolf (Jul 1, 2020 12:14 pm)

London, UK

the one I got off bay linked above (with plastic bracket) didn't seem to have the light leak issue tbh,

Paris, France
Duck wrote:

the one I got off bay linked above (with plastic bracket) didn't seem to have the light leak issue tbh,

The one you linked looks promising, although it's not specified whether it is V2 or V3, cause I can't have unresponsive buttons which is the main issue with the V2 when I'm gonna chiptune.
Haven't placed the order yet but I think I might just go with that one + a precut case.

Last edited by ScanianWolf (Jul 1, 2020 12:47 pm)

London, UK

obviously I can't promise anything in this uncertain world, but the one i have has no button issues.

Paris, France

Hey, I know it's not technically an IPS-screen, but it's nevertheless relevant to the subject.
I saw that bennvenn is selling a replacement screen/kit that's non destructive. In other words it doesn't require you to butcher your game boy shell or go through a lot of messy work to put it in place. His screen is slightly smaller than the original, but i think it's perfect for chiptuners that don't necessarily use their game boys to play games. I ordered one the other day and I'll give you my thoughts on it when I receive it.
The one I ordered is for the GBC, but apparently it's meant to work on four different handhelds, including the DMG.
https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/collecti … dy-to-ship