Hello everyone,

I am building my own arduinoboy and am having some trouble getting it to work correctly.

Input setup:
Novation Launchkey 49 >> Midiplus USB Midi Host >> Arduinoboy MIDI In >link cable> DMG

Notable Issues:
1) When I am using LSDJ in MIDI mode (and on mode 6 on arduinoboy), a single sound is triggered when I press a key on my midi keyboard, but is independent from the note I press. A tone is triggered when I push the note, and again when I release the note. But does not change pitch when I press a different key.

2) When I am using mGB (and on mode 5 on arduinoboy), I see LEDs blinking every time I press a key on my midi keyboard, but no sound is made from the DMG.

3) When cycling through the modes on the arduinoboy, when I get to mode 7, the arduinoboy stops responding until I reset it and/or remove the link cable wire corresponding to the analog pin 2 on the arduino, following the arduinoboy drawing schematic.
(Could this be because I am not using an original DMG-04 cable? I am using a third-party DMG/GBC/GBA cable)

I have checked and rechecked that I have placed my components on my breadboard correctly 10000000 times, and am certain that everything is in its right place. The only differences I have are that I am using an NTE3093 IC (which should be a suitable replacement for the 6N138), and a 1N914-B diode instead of a 1N914.

Any help/input on this would be greatly appreciated.

awayparty

Last edited by awayparty (Aug 10, 2020 9:30 pm)

Anyone?

Sweden

Hey awayparty!
The components you've selected shouldn't make the Gameboy behave in this way.
Sounds like you have MIDI coming in alright, how about MIDI out?

awayparty wrote:

I have checked and rechecked that I have placed my components on my breadboard correctly 10000000 times, and am certain that everything is in its right place.

Sounds to me like the Arduino is sending stuff to the Gameboy that the Gameboy doesn't quite understand.
Have you rechecked your cable pinout? If you're using the schematic in Trash80s Github repo, the pinout is shown from the front of the plug and it's easy to make a mistake there.

Hi djdiskmachine! Thanks for your reply!

djdiskmachine wrote:

The components you've selected shouldn't make the Gameboy behave in this way.
Sounds like you have MIDI coming in alright, how about MIDI out?

I was not planning on using the MIDI out functionality, so I have not hooked up that part of the circuit. I didn't think that not having the MIDI out hooked up would mess the overall circuit up, would it?

awayparty wrote:

I have checked and rechecked that I have placed my components on my breadboard correctly 10000000 times, and am certain that everything is in its right place.

djdiskmachine wrote:

Sounds to me like the Arduino is sending stuff to the Gameboy that the Gameboy doesn't quite understand.
Have you rechecked your cable pinout? If you're using the schematic in Trash80s Github repo, the pinout is shown from the front of the plug and it's easy to make a mistake there.

I have rechecked the pinout and I think it is correct. I will include a picture of how I hooked up my cable.

Last edited by awayparty (Aug 12, 2020 12:56 pm)

Sweden
awayparty wrote:

I was not planning on using the MIDI out functionality, so I have not hooked up that part of the circuit. I didn't think that not having the MIDI out hooked up would mess the overall circuit up, would it?

No no, you don't need to worry about that. I was just asking for alternate troubleshooting tactics

Nice pics! Pinout from the standpoint of the Gameboy looks OK.
What Arduino are you using?

Your Midiplus USB Midi Host, does it work with other gear?

Finally, does LSDJ sync when setting LSDJ mode to MIDI and Arduinoboy in Mode 1?

awayparty wrote:

No no, you don't need to worry about that. I was just asking for alternate troubleshooting tactics

djdiskmachine wrote:

Nice pics! Pinout from the standpoint of the Gameboy looks OK.
What Arduino are you using?

Thanks! I am using an Arduino Uno.

djdiskmachine wrote:

Your Midiplus USB Midi Host, does it work with other gear?

Yes, the Midiplus USB Midi Host does work with other gear. I have successfully used it with Reason 11 as well as the Famimimidi Midi interface for the NES.

djdiskmachine wrote:

Finally, does LSDJ sync when setting LSDJ mode to MIDI and Arduinoboy in Mode 1?

LSDJ does not sync when setting LSDJ mode to MIDI and Arduinoboy in Mode 1. It just says "wait". Also, it says "sync" when in Mode 7, but the Arduinoboy stops responding to pressing the pushbutton to change modes.

Sweden
awayparty wrote:

LSDJ does not sync when setting LSDJ mode to MIDI and Arduinoboy in Mode 1. It just says "wait".

Ok this confirms to me that the Gameboy does Not receive start / sync messages. If the LEDs blink on the Arduino when the Arduinoboy is in mode 1 and it receives sync, this suggests that there's a wiring problem from the arduino to the Gameboy.

awayparty wrote:

Also, it says "sync" when in Mode 7, but the Arduinoboy stops responding to pressing the pushbutton to change modes.

Yeah I've noticed this issue with my unit too when switching the modes occasionally. Don't know what this is all about but some times I've had to unplug everything but the power supply to the Arduino to switch mode, then connect the cables again.

The sync plug your picture showed looks quite different to the one I have, where did you get that from?

djdiskmachine wrote:

Ok this confirms to me that the Gameboy does Not receive start / sync messages. If the LEDs blink on the Arduino when the Arduinoboy is in mode 1 and it receives sync, this suggests that there's a wiring problem from the arduino to the Gameboy.

Alright, so maybe it has to do with the link cable?

djdiskmachine wrote:

The sync plug your picture showed looks quite different to the one I have, where did you get that from?

I bought it off of eBay. It has two connectors on each side of the cable. One for the DMG, and one for a GBC/GBA. I thought that this cable might be causing the problems, so I ordered an original DMG-04 link cable to see if that is the case. How does this plug differ from the one you have?

Last edited by awayparty (Aug 13, 2020 5:19 pm)

Sweden
awayparty wrote:

I bought it off of eBay. It has two connectors on each side of the cable. One for the DMG, and one for a GBC/GBA. I thought that this cable might be causing the problems, so I ordered an original DMG-04 link cable to see if that is the case. How does this plug differ from the one you have?

Well you tell me boss, I don't know what cable you have, I was talking about the connector on the picture big_smile
I had a faulty Gameboy lying around which I sourced the connector from, I have a similar cable as the one you're describing with two plugs on each side. Think I got it from Deadpan Robot.