Paris, France
Orgia Mode wrote:

Is your optocoupler IC in backwards?

EDIT: Yeah, it looks like it is. The stripe on the IC indicates the side with pin 1. Pull the IC out and rotate it 180 degrees.

hmm alright I'll try that. but it has a stripe at one of the ends of it and it matches up with the printed marking on the pcb.
Edit: SOrry I confused the components, I'll try and update!

EDIT2: Thank you!!! That was the issue!
It's beyond me how I managed to mess that up though, cause I was sitting and carefully pairing up the components in the right direction/order before soldering!

rebb wrote:

You can also test midi input with keyboard mode in LSDj (Using channel 16 and keyboard mode from arduinoboy) check the note values from arduinoboy repo.
If that fails I can upload you serial print gb rom that can print what gameboy receives (Unless you have GBDK installed and can build the rom yourself)

Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited by ScanianWolf (Nov 24, 2020 8:50 pm)

Sea of Souls

I looked at Catskull's eagle files on github and the opto is indeed backwards. I suspect you originally thought I meant diode, but you soldered that correctly. Let's hope the opto is not damaged, but its likely fine.

ScanianWolf wrote:

It's beyond me how I managed to mess that up though, cause I was sitting and carefully pairing up the components in the right direction/order before soldering!

Good. Please give us an update with the full status of the project. Are there any more issues?

Last edited by Orgia Mode (Nov 24, 2020 8:55 pm)

Paris, France
Orgia Mode wrote:

I looked at Catskull's eagle files on github and the opto is indeed backwards. I suspect you originally thought I meant diode, but you soldered that correctly. Let's hope the opto is not damaged, but its likely fine.

ScanianWolf wrote:

Good. Please give us an update with the full status of the project. Are there any more issues?

Definitely! I'm gonna try all the modes and functions and give an update!

I'm also having issues with my Catskull arduinoboy shields but I'm not sure whether or not to tag onto this post or make a new one. I'm using this version of the shield:
https://catskullelectronics.com/product … eq=uniform

I've downloaded the proper PS2 library, and the code goes up fine, but I'm getting no response when I attempt to use an axiom 25 to control the mGB function on the PS2 and non-PS2 versions

Sea of Souls
FroliciousYo wrote:

I'm also having issues with my Catskull arduinoboy shields but I'm not sure whether or not to tag onto this post or make a new one. I'm using this version of the shield:

I've downloaded the proper PS2 library, and the code goes up fine, but I'm getting no response when I attempt to use an axiom 25 to control the mGB function on the PS2 and non-PS2 versions

Can you link us to the exact code you uploaded to it?
Also, I'm not familiar with your MIDI controller. How d you confirm the channel it is controlling?

Orgia Mode wrote:
FroliciousYo wrote:

Can you link us to the exact code you uploaded to it?
Also, I'm not familiar with your MIDI controller. How d you confirm the channel it is controlling?

I'm using this fork of the code, linked on the product page:
https://github.com/catskull/Arduinoboy

And the Axiom 25 is a controller by M-Audio. It has function keys that allow you to choose between "global channels" 1-16, which I assuming are the correct midi channels.

The 'mode' led's on the board do not stay lit (i'm not sure if they are supposed to) and the 'status' led does not go on at all.

Sea of Souls

I didn't see the link to the code at first but that is the right one, yes.
The mode lights will display the mode and then are used to display activity on each respective channel.
Which Mode are you using? Try sending MIDI data on Just Channel 1 for starters.
This question may seem silly but has to be answered. Is your midi cable connected between Axiom's MIDI OUT and Arduino's MIDI IN?

Orgia Mode wrote:

I didn't see the link to the code at first but that is the right one, yes.
The mode lights will display the mode and then are used to display activity on each respective channel.
Which Mode are you using? Try sending MIDI data on Just Channel 1 for starters.
This question may seem silly but has to be answered. Is your midi cable connected between Axiom's MIDI OUT and Arduino's MIDI IN?

I'm trying to use mGB mode, and I think I'm connected all properly.
Axiom (MIDI Out) -> AB (MIDI In) -> mGB (tested on GBA & DMG via CGB 001 and DMG-14 adapter respectively)

After some more testing, I found that the issue I was having was indeed with my keyboard. After trying another keyboard, I got mGB mode to work. The last thing to test with these is a PS2 Keyboard (whenever I get one). I'll be sure to update when I get that tested out! smile

Sea of Souls
FroliciousYo wrote:

After some more testing, I found that the issue I was having was indeed with my keyboard. After trying another keyboard, I got mGB mode to work. The last thing to test with these is a PS2 Keyboard (whenever I get one). I'll be sure to update when I get that tested out! smile

Thats good news and good luck figuring out the Axiom. There must be a small setting you're missing.

I've figured out the setting! After scouring the manual, I found a way to turn the DIN MIDI Out port on and off. I'm not quite sure yet how it works as a USB-MIDI and DIN-MIDI device, but we're making progress.

For those interested, refer to pages 32-34 of the manual:
https://media.americanmusical.com/ItemF … manual.pdf