Looks very good. I'm proud of you guys.

Anaheim, California

can't wait for the uploads

Vancouver

I can not ****ing wait.

Tokyo, Japan
trash80 wrote:
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

Will there be a quality control à la micromusic, or an "upload as much as you can" approach à la 8bc?

Imagine when the number of members is five figures and they all upload their track both here and @ 8bc...

I like the freedom of 8bc, and the quality of micromusic. so I say, let everyone upload... and from there do something fancy to find the gold.

Celsius had a really good idea about this, I may have gotten this slightly wrong so if im putting words in his mouth I apologize. Have a a two tier uploads section, One can be a totally open upload area the other could be a featured section.

This is me thinking a little more on the topic, for example, have a team of people with fairly broad tastes and ear for quality who can tag tracks to appear in the featured section. Not based on personal taste but more on factors like

- Is the track finished?
- Is it likely to be of interest to members of CM.org?
- Is it fairly listenable?

What do you think?

Another method would be for tracks to get automatically "featured" after getting x number of likes? I perhaps prefer the first system.

My wishes: No likes. Bookmark andor subscriptions as well as comments are good.

Please add a tagging system that can be used when searching/filtering. Either free tagging or a fixed set of vocabularies making the filtering even more powerful. (i e Music genre, Software, Freewords (can be used for mentioning group or album)). Having all tags on a site being clickable leading to the corresponding pre-filled search form is the kind of feature that makes people browse around.

Once again.. there is nothing useful about likes. On the contrary.

Last edited by joule (Jan 11, 2010 10:50 am)

Los Angeles

- Tagging has been planned already.
- Likes, well. yeah. I can go either way.
- Bookmarking or flagging for later viewing without other users seeing on the item's page should totally be on the list.

- Separate uploads is a bad idea with good intentions.
- The other method of "featuring" items on the front isn't very good either.

Here is my suggestion and which I'll probably implement.
- Each user is allowed to opt their song for review, but it will be limited to once every 2 weeks. From there we can have either Members vote if its good (ahem likes) or by a special committee. That committee would include mods, admins, and users who contribute the most to the site in a positive way.
- Either way there will still be a area that's a "Free for all" on the front page, but will probably be in a random order at all times, and a color will mark it if you've seen it before.

These are just a few ideas, we still have quite a bit to go on the code front and we havn't approached display logic yet. We like hearing all of your thoughts and input, and rest assured we'll try to implement it the best way possible for everyone. heart

On a final note: I think there should be a rule about only posting songs that have been uploaded here in the "constructive criticism" area. With the new mp3 player BB code tag I can see people flooding the forums with "Hey check out my first LSDJ track" neutral

Los Angeles

I take some of my suggestions back. I hate committee decisions. I love community.

Can anyone explain why they do not want likes? Maybe there is a way to improve it to make everyone happy.
There was also talk about "thumbs" which is going to be there at very least for the comments.

Just a comment.. review thing or people having different rights will form social stratification. If you want a place free from hierarchy or status hunting everything like that probably needs to be avoided. Otherwise a group will soon put their minds into any kind of social importance available.

However, I would accept if albums and bigger releases could be reviewed. That would be a worthy enough cause and more of a meaningful and valid way of gaining reputation/attention. Also giving the "scene" a boost in the right direction..

Brisbane, Australia, Earth

people think likes=popularity contest

I'm in favour for them though, i think it gives an artist a certain sense of satisfaction towards their music, not saying that is the case for everyone...

just my two cents

*edit*joule however has a very good opinion on the situation

Last edited by AndyExpandy (Jan 11, 2010 12:03 pm)

Los Angeles

I dont know if anyone has seen this before... This is a Playlist using some-site's database. It uses Likes VS Views VS Comments. Its not a popularity contest because you can have 5 views and 3 likes, and rank as high or higher then a song with 1000 views and 200 likes.

There are ways in which saying you like something is important. We could just hide the number and people who like it from view, except to the author. I actually think maybe im on to something there.

Brisbane, Australia, Earth

i like that idea, pity the site SUCKS tongue

Tokyo, Japan

I like the filter a lot, I like hidden "likes" I really think it has potential with chipmusic.org. Another random idea, how about an archive of tracks which end up being recommend by the site. Something like recommended tunes of the month?

Tokyo, Japan
AndyExpandy wrote:

i like that idea, pity the site SUCKS tongue

I totally appreciate this was made in jest but can we declare a moratorium on pithy comments about other communities? I really don't want a slagging match to develop.

Peace and love brothers and sisters!

I don't like that idea. Being on a special list is a contest.

A gray world of dread

Hmm, I have some ideas about this, but nothing worth mentioning yet.

For the moment, I'll just advice to not display view/comment/whatever count on the index, it biases. After a certain critical mass it gets more and more views just because it already has some. It works on me too, I'm more like to check something out that already has an amount of comments. I think creating such bias isn't neccessary.

Last edited by µB (Jan 11, 2010 1:06 pm)

Liverpool, UK

I like the "likes" system as a bookmarking thing/it's awesome when people dig your song, what I don't like is the weekly chart.