I'm trying to record and arrangement I made using LSDJ and Nanoloop 2 on a DMG (backlit and biverted) and GBA (IPS LCD V2) both with the cleanamp mod:
https://handheldlegend.com/products/cle … &_ss=r
And the HH Dehiss kit on my GBA

After plugging in link cables to my GBA, either to the DMG for Analog Out directly or to an Arduino boy, I get a mid-range whine that I can't cut unless I unplug the link cable.

Both consoles seem to be getting some power from the 5V in as the power LED's turn on and the screen lights up in the case of the DMG.

What did I do wrong? Am I recording wrong? Should I just mix it out post-console?

Paris, France

I think it's like that for everyone to be honest

Oh damn. That's just a limitation that comes with the territory? Of the GBA? How is it usually dealt with?

Paris, France
FroliciousYo wrote:

Oh damn. That's just a limitation that comes with the territory? Of the GBA? How is it usually dealt with?

I know that I have recorded two gbas separately and then manually synced the audio in post. For live I actually don't know

Philadelphia

For live play you'd need a really good PA that cuts out background noise. This isn't really my forte so I can't say what the specs on the PA should be - all I know is I've played two live shows where the volume was up very high and couldn't hear anything when the track wasn't actively playing through my setup. It has something to do with whatever is built into the system to force it to produce no sound when the input levels are below a certain amount. I also use NES and DMG for my tracks so I'm not sure if it's a similar frequency or whatever but that would be your best bet for live shows.

For recording, you have a lot of control if you're willing to put in the time. After implementing every trick I know to cut back on artifact sounds (including mods, note overlaps - which unfortunately I don't think you can do with a tracker, etc), I record every channel on it's own, then go into each channel's spectrogram in my editing software and insert silences in place of all gaps between notes where the background noise can be heard. If you record all of your channels together then you won't be able to cut the background noise in the gaps between any notes on a given channel where another channel is playing a note (obviously, since you'd be cutting out that portion of whatever is playing on every other track) so I definitely recommend recording each channel separately, syncing them in your audio app, then polishing each one the way I described above. For quiet parts of the song where you can still hear it, you can try using a filter, taking a sample from a section of the track with just background noise to remove that same noise from a section with those quieter notes playing. However, this method should only be used in dire circumstances as it will usually leave that section of track sounding muddy.

It may seem excessive and a pain in the ass to do all this but the difference is night and day in the final track. Seriously, listen to this track where I did all of that and try to hear any background noise at all, even with headphones. I used both NES and DMG on that track (7 audio channels total in the recorded mix).

https://soundcloud.com/doctoroctoroc/wa … rrangement

One other hot tip I can offer is to record your noise channel at the same time as one other channel (on the NES I record it with the triangle, on the DMG I record it at the same time as the WAV channel sometimes, but I usually utilize the noise channel on the NES more than on the DMG so I don't often do this on DMG), then record the pulse channels each on their own. The reason for this, at least for me, is there are a TON of gaps between notes on my noise channel with all the hi hats, short snares, quick kicks, etc. Recording this channel on its own and silencing the nose between gaps would take ages (I mean, you can do it if you want) so recording it with the triangle or WAV means I only have to insert silences when neither channel is playing on the recorded track - which you wouldn't want to do with all the tracks as described above but for one of a few tracks, it's fine cause there will likely be enough volume overall throughout the track that you won't hear background noise at all. In terms of the NES it's also convenient because the noise, DPCM and triangle are all on the same audio out (with my prosound 'stereo' mod) so I actually record all three at once with the pulse channels unplugged because they create more noise in the background. I also tend to double up the noise with DPCM to make the samples punch a lot harder.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. I know this isn't really an answer to your original question, just general advice for recording chiptunes. And I haven't messed with the GBA yet but a lot of the principles should be the same. But I have heard that the GBA can be one of the noisiest of the Nintendo handhelds so as a last ditch effort you could get yourself an original brick and try that on for size!

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc (Feb 21, 2021 3:46 am)

Paris, France
Doctor Octoroc wrote:

For live play you'd need a really good PA that cuts out background noise. [...]

Thank you for sharing this! I actually never went through that level of precision noise removal. But I guess it's necessary since you also record each channel separately and that triples or quadruples the noise depending on whether the source is a gameboy or a nes.

Personally I've mostly used plugins that capture the noise profile from a little bit of isolated noise that you record before hitting play on your gameboy and then applying reduction to the entire recording. This is ok, but can sometimes introduce some artefacts etc.

Your method should be much better, given that you've already have modified your console with the necessary mods to clean up your signal to a maximum before recording.

The GBA is another beast however. I started off with no mod, then I did a prosound mod to the GBA which really boosted the signal and it got a bit louder and cleaner. Then retrosix released this great documentation and I bought their capacitor kit and installed it. I wasn't super baffled by the result, it could also come down to my soldering skills with the super small surface mount capacitors, but nevertheless it had some subtle improvement.
Now it seems like Helder's game tech has simplified and refined the process with the surface mount capacitor soldering with a custom made PCB that adds 3 x 11uF of capacitance (Each capacitor should be rated 6,3V or preferably 10V) to points around the GBAs CPU.

I think I actually might purchase some of Helder's capacitor boards and the other general capacitor kit they sell and report back.

EDIT: By the way, if you use an IPS screen this could definitely be a source of more noise! You should then perhaps consider buying Helder's 'normal' capacitor kit and replace those on you GBA, or you could just look up the values and buy them yourself from where you want to, he has posted the values on his site, just click the link above.

Last edited by ScanianWolf (Feb 22, 2021 12:53 pm)

Philadelphia
ScanianWolf wrote:

EDIT: By the way, if you use an IPS screen this could definitely be a source of more noise! You should then perhaps consider buying Helder's 'normal' capacitor kit and replace those on you GBA, or you could just look up the values and buy them yourself from where you want to, he has posted the values on his site, just click the link above.

I have an IPS on my DMG and it definitely adds some noise (not that it matters to my recordings with all the cleanup I do) but I have noticed that darker colors add significantly less. Red on mine is the least intrusive.

I have heard that GBA is a real pain, one of the reasons I've stayed away from it for chiptunes (plus I tend to favor the sound of the original grey brick over the rest, probably nostalgia). My plan to add a new system to each new album release was put on hold by COVID (was literally in the middle of a KS campaign to fund a vinyl press when it happened...around this time last year, I suppose), and I was probably going to add C64 next but I may eventually want some sweet soundfonts in there and it's a toss up between Megadrive and GBA for those.

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc (Feb 23, 2021 12:27 am)