Cambridge UK

McGill university's neuropsychology department has a team of searchers working on the effects of music on the human brain (check it here : http://www.yourbrainonmusic.com/ )

Though there are similarities in how humans as a whole react to music, I think the exact effects it has on someone's mind is a very personal, singular experience. And sometimes there are sounds that have unexpected influences on us : when I'm restless I listen to Olivier Messiaen's work, it helps me settle down and concentrate. God knows why.

I've been really stressed in the last few weeks, and as it is always with stress and me it affects my sleep patterns in a major way. When I do sleep I get vivid nightmares and wake up after 12-14 hours of unsatisfying sleep that leaves me tired for the full day, as if I hadn't slept at all.
But I found out recently that if I listen to little-scale's music I do not dream at all and wake up after 5 or 6 hours, absolutely rested and full of energy all day long. I absolutely don't know why, but I'm sticking to it : much better than sleeping pills!

Last summer I trained three times a week ( I had lost a couple of pounds due to swine flu, mostly muscles, and wanted to shape back up), and the only thing I could listen to while training was Bit Shifter. I tried other chipmusic, breakcore, punk, and countless other stuff just to realise that I was totes not able to train if I wasn't listening to Bit Shifter. And let me tell you that of all his fans, that summer, I was the one who longed the most for a new album! :3

Anybody else had similar experiences?

A gray world of dread

My need to fit music to mood is stronger than fitting music to activity. But I've noticed that I program better and quicker with loud up-tempo stuff in the background (breaks, darkcore, that kind). Sometimes I wished I could listen to music while making music (don't laugh).

Thanks for the link btw, looks like a good book to pick up.

Last edited by µB (Jan 11, 2010 6:26 pm)

Cambridge UK

I haven't got around to reading it, but fellow psych students read it and told me it was really interesting and well documented.

Philly, PA, USA

i just think it's funny seeing the topic and then "by george"
all i think is "by george!" and i forget what the title of the topic is completely.

Psydney, Australia

Funny. I was just DLed that book the other day

California

I own that book. have had it for like almost a year but only about half way thru. very detailed and interesting book. some of it is a bit hard for a regular guy like me to swallow but overall I get it. Buy it if you haven't.

Los Angeles, CA

I got it for christmas and have been peeking at it every now and then.
One thing it says is that the sounds and music you listen to in your developing teen years remain the sounds and music that have the highest affect on you throughout the rest of your life. It creates a kind of memory imprint that will always send impulses directly to pleasuretown in your brain.
Certainly explains my fascination with the genre.

Melbourne, Australia

I had a few thousand words assigntment due for theology the night i started it. I listened to Freezedream's Lullabye the entire night/morning.

http://8bitcollective.com/music/freezedream/Lullaby/

I got a credit for the paper... pretty self explanatory

California
EvilWezil wrote:

I got it for christmas and have been peeking at it every now and then.
One thing it says is that the sounds and music you listen to in your developing teen years remain the sounds and music that have the highest affect on you throughout the rest of your life. It creates a kind of memory imprint that will always send impulses directly to pleasuretown in your brain.
Certainly explains my fascination with the genre.

yeah totally. I get such an awesome feeling when I listen to music from chrono trigger and secret of mana which are games that I was playing at around 13ish - 15ish

Corpus Christi, Texas

Definitely want to read.
When I am feeling angry or upset I can only listen to Kid Icaris and a few songs like self-confidence by Nyhlin, Can't be helped by FTFX, Can't hide your love- Kola Kid, Red Skie At Night and Jet Set Let's Go! by Henry Homesweet, the Little Fighter X ep by Fighter X, and We share the same sky by Chiptune David.
I usually don't even get through a few songs before I have completely lost my anger or am no longer upset.